Shane Long

186 posts
Agent Balti
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Shane Long

by Agent Balti » 01 Jun 2011 17:46

Probably triggers a clause at £3.5m...with a bit of goodwill thrown-in. Wasn't Hunt's fee £3.5m too, there or thereabouts? Seems a bit like an RFC template contract affair.

Samrfc01

by Samrfc01 » 01 Jun 2011 17:51

1TeamInBerksRFC
CholseyRoyal Found this on Twitter......no comment from me.

@JonnyFordham “@oaocelticnews: Rumours on KDS that Celtic have had a 3.75million bid accepted for Shane Long”

No it Wrong Long worth 20m And that the Price Celtic have to pay

Long isn't worth that much ...so STFU

peterroyal76
Hob Nob Regular
Location: North stand B13.......where all the empty seats are!

by peterroyal76 » 01 Jun 2011 17:59

@JonnyFordham “@oaocelticnews: Rumours on KDS that Celtic have had a 3.75million bid accepted for Shane Long”

Sounds about the right price to me, does he only have a year left on his contract?

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 01 Jun 2011 18:03

Don't forget the add ons. 500k if Celtic qualify for Europe next season. It's a tough ask for them to finish in the top four of the SPL next year but it could happen.

The Doctor

by The Doctor » 01 Jun 2011 18:15

Royal Lady Could have and should have got more, if this is true.

not sure i agree with that. shane's form before the last 2/3's of this season has been terrible. sure he could be a confidence player and brian has brought it out in him but he needs another season like this before he's worth £4/5/6m. if we get more than £3m then that's good business. likable lad and sad to see him go but you can't sniff at that money.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 01 Jun 2011 18:22

Depends on the exact details of the bid and Long's contract situation. If we agreed that figure with him earlier in the season (not unreasonable given how he hadn't really started performing until January). Also thta might be the headline figure with extra dependent on appearances, goals, titles etc.

If it's the total value it's disappointing, but anyone expecting £6m+ is quite probably in for disapointment themselves. This is a striker who around the time of his last contract negotiations didn't have a great goalscoring record, didn't have lots of experience at leading the attack and was quite possibly on his last chance to make it with the club.

bigmike
Hob Nob Regular

by bigmike » 01 Jun 2011 18:24

1TeamInBerksRFC

No it Wrong Long worth 20m And that the Price Celtic have to pay

hahahahahahahahahaha what a twat you are

savage 4 england

by savage 4 england » 01 Jun 2011 18:28

super darren caskey Im more worried about jimmy kebe going tbh i think shane long is more replaceable

I'm the opposite.

There are some good young wingers in league one and we have some strength in depth here. Finding a 20 goal striker is going to be very hard for the money we will be paying.

super darren caskey
Hob Nob Regular

by super darren caskey » 01 Jun 2011 18:37

savage 4 england
super darren caskey Im more worried about jimmy kebe going tbh i think shane long is more replaceable

I'm the opposite.

There are some good young wingers in league one and we have some strength in depth here. Finding a 20 goal striker is going to be very hard for the money we will be paying.

I know what your saying and i know jimmy has his flaws ie inconsistant,not great at crossing but...them runs he goes on are incredible and he strikes fear into most defences.I expect swansea were praying that he wasnt fit to play on monday and that says it all for me

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 01 Jun 2011 18:38

Rumours that QPR are interested

AR Royal

by AR Royal » 01 Jun 2011 18:39

savage 4 england

I'm the opposite.

+1

CholseyRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by CholseyRoyal » 01 Jun 2011 18:41

Ian Royal

Depends on the exact details of the bid and Long's contract situation. If we agreed that figure with him earlier in the season (not unreasonable given how he hadn't really started performing until January). Also thta might be the headline figure with extra dependent on appearances, goals, titles etc.

If it's the total value it's disappointing, but anyone expecting £6m+ is quite probably in for disapointment themselves. This is a striker who around the time of his last contract negotiations didn't have a great goalscoring record, didn't have lots of experience at leading the attack and was quite possibly on his last chance to make it with the club.

I agree, we should have been lucky to have got £750k for him before Christmas. I wonder how much Cork are owed?

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 01 Jun 2011 18:48

Snowball Rumours that QPR are interested

Being linked with every decent (or half decent) Championship striker at the mo.

savage 4 england

by savage 4 england » 01 Jun 2011 19:02

super darren caskey
savage 4 england

I'm the opposite.

I know what your saying and i know jimmy has his flaws ie inconsistant,not great at crossing but...them runs he goes on are incredible and he strikes fear into most defences.I expect swansea were praying that he wasnt fit to play on monday and that says it all for me

I agree with what you are saying. The way he takes the ball up the pitch cannot be quantified. However, he did only have 7 assists for the season. I'm not having a go at Jimmy or saying I do not appreciate what he has done for us. I think the biggest miss will be the excitement when he gets the ball and you don't know what will happen next!

super darren caskey
Hob Nob Regular

by super darren caskey » 01 Jun 2011 19:09

Yeah i think its that excitment that makes jimmy a bit special and kinda in a way makes up for what he does lack.He will be going im sure of it and its a shame

royalsroyalsroyals92

by royalsroyalsroyals92 » 01 Jun 2011 19:45

1TeamInBerksRFC
westongeezer Well according to 1TeamInBerksRFC Shane Longs going to

Liverpool
Everton
Celtic

he Knows because hes a mate of the Chief Executive

and hes a bloke

and a reading fan..(likes books)

Celtic is the favourite To sign shane long price reading what is £20m and i do no some one at reading football club ok

Mate, if you go back to English classes or at least start posting so everyone can understand, everyone may not stop taking the piss

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 01 Jun 2011 20:12

Big Ern I do not understand why people go on so much about loyalty. Professional footballers have a short career, and in most cases a 10 year period where their earning potential is at their highest. I don't blame the lad for trying to get as much out of his short career, especially when his stock is so high. He could secure the contract that sets him up for life, and if I was in his position I would do the same. Loyalty does not pay the bills.

In this day and age where these young men are earning upwards of 500k a year basic at our level I'm not sure the length of career has as much bearing as it did 10 or 15 years ago when even top players ended up needing jobs after their career ended (see our own Neil Webb for example).

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 01 Jun 2011 20:21

If Celtic have got him for less than £4 million thats a poor deal for us when you consider the likes of Chopra went to Sunderland for a couple of million more a few years ago.

Greatwesternline
Hob Nob Addict

by Greatwesternline » 01 Jun 2011 21:00

Does Shane Long have a buy out clause in his contract? If so, he will go for that amount, just as Gylfi did, if not, why do we have to sell?
I understand that he may want to leave, but we don't have to sell. If he had a buy out clause then fair enough, but if there isn't one then we could let an auction take the price up and up and up.

I'm saying this because post xmas for the last two years we've played like a top 2 team, for the last two years we have sold the best players in summer (Doyle, Bikey, Hunt, Matejovski....) then Gylfi

So we've started poorly, as we've had to reshuffle, then with McDermott able to do build the team we've looked like promotion material.

If we sell Long Kebe Mills as is being said is nailed on, we'll have to reshuffle again, and who knows by January they may resemble a promotion side again, but with half the season gone. Why if the club is so well run, can we not financially hold out till January and see how the knitted together side is doing.

After all, the club took a huge financial gamble maintaining the vast majority of an expensive Premierleague squad for one season when relegated, to see if we could make it back up, why not take that gamble again for half a season, and if it's not looking like we're top two shed the high value assets in January, we would've had only taken 6 months risk.

I just don't understand why we NEED to sell Long and Kebe, unless back to my original point they have buy out clauses, in which case, the debate on what they will go for already has a defined answer.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 01 Jun 2011 21:47

First, think about Shorey and SHunt. Players want to play at the highest level for the best clubs possible and they will often sulk and perform badly if you don't let them leave when they want. Long and Kebe might not be like that, but there's not a lot of point in keeping them here against their will.

Second, it's pretty well documented that we do agree with all our players the circumstances under which we'll let them leave and the amount we value them at. One of our selling points to players is that we will help them further their career and won't hinder their progression.

Thirdly, we're a Championship football club with at least an average wage budget and a fairly big squad. We don't have big gates and our Chairman has no liquid assets and is not putting money into the club. That level of spending is going to mean that we can't afford to pay players enough to keep them here rather than moving on, and that to buy, we're likely to have to sell.

186 posts