The generic transfer thread

10604 posts
Friday's Legacy
Hob Nob Regular

Re: The Summer 2011 transfer thread

by Friday's Legacy » 12 Jun 2011 13:14

Royal Rother Long-term stability >>>>>>> Short-term excitement

well how much longer will arsene wenger remain in charge of arsenal? it wont be much longer, a season or two before he takes a new challenge i'm sure. who's to say liverpool would be short-term excitement? they're usually a top 4 club. either is a much of a muchness imo, but currently id say liverpool were the better option and i feel the boy would get games sooner than he would at arsenal - unless they lose so many players that he gets his chance early.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 12 Jun 2011 14:02

Royal Rother Long-term stability >>>>>>> Short-term excitement

The end of last season does not mean Arsenal and Liverpool are going in opposite directions. In fact it has finally woken Wenger up to the fact that the approach to the transfer market needs a little tweaking shall we say. And one suspects that can only be a good thing for their prospects for 2011/12.

But paying way over the odds for players who have barely established themselves in the game (as Liverpool appear to be doing) may not be the best way of spending £100m.

But Liverpool have some catching-up to do both in terms of recruitment and league position.
Man Utd,City and Chelsea have consistently spent big in recent times and often on unproven players so why shouldn't Liverpool.
The interesting thing about Arsenal is whether their fans will continue to back the club which possibly has the best balance sheet but continues to slip down the league ladder.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 12 Jun 2011 14:38

Arsenal continue to slip down the league ladder? Hardly.

Until the soft underbelly was exposed once and for all in and after the League Cup Final they were the only real challengers to Man Utd.

If they fail to invest in some strong characters this close season because they don't fancy the market, then fail to get Top 3 again, they would deserve all the stick they might get, but I don't think that will be the case. But although it's excellent to see the investment staying within these shores I do think Liverpool are paying nearly double the true value of these young English players.

Still, if it means there's more money sloshing around for the selling clubs to spend on replacements it just might end up benefitting RFC...

soggy biscuit
Hob Nob Addict

by soggy biscuit » 12 Jun 2011 15:03

Royal Rother Liverpool are paying nearly double the true value of these young English players.

But what is a true value?

Keep in mind that we talking about an industry with almost no 'true values' so to speak. Merely a satisfactory middle ground between 2 parties with one feeling adequately compensated and one acquiring someone they need.

I think the Andy Carroll transfer really underlined this more than any other transfer.

soggy biscuit
Hob Nob Addict

by soggy biscuit » 12 Jun 2011 15:19

Oddest rumour of the week - Bayern Munich have bid for Tranmere's 18 year old Dale Jennings and while there has been Premier League interest Jennings apparently has said that Bayern is his 'dream move'.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 12 Jun 2011 16:01

soggy biscuit
Royal Rother Liverpool are paying nearly double the true value of these young English players.

Keep in mind that we talking about an industry with almost no 'true values' so to speak. Merely a satisfactory middle ground between 2 parties with one feeling adequately compensated and one acquiring someone they need.

I think the Andy Carroll transfer really underlined this more than any other transfer.

Very fair point. I just think that Liverpool have gone in with offers that are way above what these players might normally have gone for in order to grab them before anyone else (Man City) could enter the market and sneak them away, just because they can.

So yes, it's a true value because the transaction has taken place (and fair play to Liverpool for being decisive) but the fees feel distorted by desperation to me.

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 12 Jun 2011 16:10

Billy Davies leaves Nottingham Forest.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 12 Jun 2011 16:25

Steve McLaren in talks to take over.

roadrunner
Hob Nob Regular

by roadrunner » 12 Jun 2011 18:38

Stranded Steve McLaren in talks to take over.

Good move for both clubs. Not sure why he's struggling to get a Premiership job. He's a decent enough manager, never a top manager but he'd do a Villa or a fello mid-table side.

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 13 Jun 2011 08:55

roadrunner

Good move for both clubs. Not sure why he's struggling to get a Premiership job. He's a decent enough manager, never a top manager but he'd do a Villa or a fello mid-table side.

Reputation ruined, I think.

Seal
Hob Nob Regular

by Seal » 13 Jun 2011 09:20

Royal Rother
soggy biscuit

Very fair point. I just think that Liverpool have gone in with offers that are way above what these players might normally have gone for in order to grab them before anyone else (Man City) could enter the market and sneak them away, just because they can.

So yes, it's a true value because the transaction has taken place (and fair play to Liverpool for being decisive) but the fees feel distorted by desperation to me.

The other point to note is that all these signings in the 18-22 age bracket and are signed on long term contracts. The logic is therefore that if a players' peak is at say 26-29, then there is a good chance for a significant if not greater resale value. Even if you can not recoup the fee in transfer revenue, then hopefully the club will have got 5 years good service out of the player in any case. Long term contracts mean that the fee can be amortized over a longer period, reducing the hit on the P&L, and as the players are signed at a young age, even doubling their salary would not put them in the top quartile of earners the club.

Therefore, whilst no question that they are huge transfer fees for young players, there is a business logic behind it.

The reverse logic is why a player of say Drogba's quality will (if sold) only go for £10-12m.

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 13 Jun 2011 09:24

roadrunner

Probably because he oversaw arguably England's worst qualification campaign ever. To come third in that group was unbelievably poor, i'm sure 90% of Football League managers would have managed better.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

Re: Nasri to Man U

by TBM » 13 Jun 2011 10:27

Svlad Cjelli
Seal You heard it here first.

No, I heard it on Absolute Radio's 9 am sports news, 2 hours ago .....

Except nothing has happened and Arsenal are willing to open the cheque book to get him to sign.......if not, they want £23m and wont sell to another English side

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 13 Jun 2011 19:46

Nathan Tyson signs 3 year deal at Derby County.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 13 Jun 2011 20:04

No Fixed Abode Nathan Tyson signs 3 year deal at Derby County.

to those i PM'd

8)

leww_rfc
Hob Nob Regular

by leww_rfc » 13 Jun 2011 22:11

No Fixed Abode Nathan Tyson signs 3 year deal at Derby County.

Anyone know any Derby fans and how they feel? Especially after this... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKHluB9J ... re=related

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 14 Jun 2011 01:40

http://www.forestforum.co.uk/showthread ... 072&page=1

"Isn't he running at Royal Ascot this week? "

Lmao.

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 14 Jun 2011 06:58

Liverpool to start talks with Blackpool over Charlie Adam.

PlasticRoyale
Hob Nob Regular

by PlasticRoyale » 14 Jun 2011 08:58

Does anyone else think Adam is massively over rated? Tidy enough player but i'd hate to see him at Utd

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 14 Jun 2011 09:18

Schards#2
roadrunner

Probably because he oversaw arguably England's worst qualification campaign ever. To come third in that group was unbelievably poor, i'm sure 90% of Football League managers would have managed better.

Bet they wouldn't have taken FC Twente to 2nd and 1st in the Dutch League.

An amazing achievement that and puts him very near the top of current English managers. I fear he will do a great job at Forest.

10604 posts