Michail Antonio

M-U-R-T-Y
Hob Nob Regular

Michail Antonio

by M-U-R-T-Y » 25 Jul 2011 16:55

Do you think he is capable of staking a claim to the first team this year?
I can't recall hearing much of him in the pre-season friendlies. Maybe another year out on loan would do the lad good.

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

Re: Michail Antonio

by ZacNaloen » 25 Jul 2011 17:16

His first touch lets him down, if he sorts that out he has the raw attributes

Tilehurst End

by Tilehurst End » 25 Jul 2011 17:18

Provided we hang on to Kebe, we have HRK, Obita and even Cummings as back up wide men so I'd let him go on loan.

Definitly a work in progress.

Friday's Legacy
Hob Nob Regular

by Friday's Legacy » 25 Jul 2011 18:19

M-U-R-T-Y Do you think he is capable of staking a claim to the first team this year?

he needs to improve an awful lot first. mcanuff, kebe, robson-kanu and obita are all ahead of him.

urz13
Hob Nob Regular
Location: The following statement is false. The previous statement is true.

by urz13 » 25 Jul 2011 18:27

ZacNaloen His first touch lets him down, if he sorts that out he has the raw attributes

His decision making often let's him down too.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 25 Jul 2011 18:30

Tilehurst End Provided we hang on to Kebe, we have HRK, Obita and even Cummings as back up wide men so I'd let him go on loan.

But HRK and Obita are left sided players and I think Cummings might well be first choice RB this season so Antonio is the main back up to Kebe at RW - unless we use Taylor in that position.

I think we will give him another year to prove himself.

Friday's Legacy
Hob Nob Regular

by Friday's Legacy » 25 Jul 2011 18:37

andrew1957
Tilehurst End Provided we hang on to Kebe, we have HRK, Obita and even Cummings as back up wide men so I'd let him go on loan.

But HRK and Obita are left sided players and I think Cummings might well be first choice RB this season so Antonio is the main back up to Kebe at RW - unless we use Taylor in that position.

has mcanuff been sold or something? i know we've used him on the left but he is prodomonantly a right winger and hrk will push hard for a start on the left with obita doing very much the same.

left side: hrk, antonio, mcanuff
right side: kebe, mcanuff, cummings

for once we look pretty strong on both flanks.

Plymouth_Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Plymouth_Royal » 25 Jul 2011 19:35

He's overrated and shite. I could never see the supposed raw talent he had. He's quick and works hard but he's clueless and has no quality. Harsh but if he wants to improve he needs games and the only way he will get that is with another team.

Boyle the Royal

by Boyle the Royal » 25 Jul 2011 20:35

Friday's Legacy
andrew1957

has mcanuff been sold or something? i know we've used him on the left but he is prodomonantly a right winger and hrk will push hard for a start on the left with obita doing very much the same.

left side: hrk, antonio, mcanuff
right side: kebe, mcanuff, cummings

for once we look pretty strong on both flanks.

I would say McAnuff is predominantly a left winger, despite the fact he's right footed. He's most effective when he plays down the left and cuts inside.

Z175
Hob Nob Regular

by Z175 » 25 Jul 2011 20:47

My God how good was Cummings in the playoffs. Love that guy.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 25 Jul 2011 20:51

Plymouth_Royal He's overrated and shite. I could never see the supposed raw talent he had. He's quick and works hard but he's clueless and has no quality. Harsh but if he wants to improve he needs games and the only way he will get that is with another team.

Thank god you are not the manager!!!!

Plymouth_Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Plymouth_Royal » 25 Jul 2011 20:55

paultheroyal
Plymouth_Royal He's overrated and shite. I could never see the supposed raw talent he had. He's quick and works hard but he's clueless and has no quality. Harsh but if he wants to improve he needs games and the only way he will get that is with another team.

I'm sorry but what has Antonio done to give any indication he'll make it as a footballer.

Sarah Star
Hob Nob Regular

by Sarah Star » 25 Jul 2011 21:08

urz13
ZacNaloen His first touch lets him down, if he sorts that out he has the raw attributes

It's his tendency to run the ball out of play for no apparent reason I'd like him to improve... and yet he can look really dangerous in front of goal - e.g. for Southampton. He needs more practice.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 25 Jul 2011 21:32

Plymouth_Royal
paultheroyal

I'm sorry but what has Antonio done to give any indication he'll make it as a footballer.

Loan spell at Southampton for starters.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 25 Jul 2011 21:36

Sarah Star It's his tendency to run the ball out of play for no apparent reason I'd like him to improve....

:D

Maybe he's short-sighted.

bloody Volvo driver

by bloody Volvo driver » 25 Jul 2011 21:41

Sarah Star
urz13

It's his tendency to run the ball out of play for no apparent reason I'd like him to improve

Until recently this applied to HRK. I lost count the number of times he ran the ball out of play for a throw. He runs in straight lines, unfortunately they aren't parallel to the side line.

As to Antonio, another one whose stats will read played 10+25, goals 1 in three years time.

Plymouth_Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Plymouth_Royal » 25 Jul 2011 21:51

Sarah Star
urz13

It's his tendency to run the ball out of play for no apparent reason I'd like him to improve... and yet he can look really dangerous in front of goal - e.g. for Southampton. He needs more practice.

I still can't see how he has raw talent.
The only player I would associate with raw talent would be Manset. Manset at least shows snippets of quality/class. Antonio is all pace but no actual quality WITH the ball. I remember that thread where people were comparing HRK to him and saying how much more of prospect Antonio was. But HRK could actually do something with the ball and now he's showing he could turn out to be a championship player. It's not as if Antonio hasn't had chances either. He did OK for Southampton and last season he got that "make or break" chance against Derby at home but couldn't deliver. I'd love to stand corrected and I hope for the clubs sake that Antonio becomes a quality winger. However, from what I've seen and from the opportunities he's been given, there's nothing to make you take a second look and say if he works on that he'll be a decent player.

Sarah Star
Hob Nob Regular

by Sarah Star » 25 Jul 2011 21:55

Plymouth, I think he can be dangerous in front of goal, he can get past players and look like scoring, but on the other hand maybe that's because he's so unpredictable even his team mates worry about what he'll do next. HRK looks like he knows what he's doing but I'm never sure about Antonio. I really don't know what to make of him.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 25 Jul 2011 22:08

And the rest!

He's a physically imposing player yes, but I can't see him developing enough in the footballing department to hold down a place in a half decent Championship side.

I'd say his lack of chances under McDermott probably suggest he sees it in much the same way.

Plymouth_Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Plymouth_Royal » 25 Jul 2011 22:11

Sarah Star Plymouth, I think he can be dangerous in front of goal, he can get past players and look like scoring, but on the other hand maybe that's because he's so unpredictable even his team mates worry about what he'll do next. HRK looks like he knows what he's doing but I'm never sure about Antonio. I really don't know what to make of him.

I guess we'll find out come May next year.