The generic transfer thread

10604 posts
leww_rfc
Hob Nob Regular

Re: The Summer 2011 transfer thread

by leww_rfc » 25 Jul 2011 13:42

rhroyal
soggy biscuit
No Fixed Abode McEachran, Bertrand, Chalobah, Bruma, Van Aanholt, John Terry etc....not to mention the likes of Scott Sinclair, Jack Cork etc.... :lol:

How many of those went on to be regular Chelsea players?

This the same Bruma and Van Aanholt who looked utterly out of their depth against Long and Kebe last April?

and the same Scott Sinclair whos only had one good season with one team in the 2nd tier?

Tredder
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Tredder » 25 Jul 2011 17:43

Gabbidon - IN YOUR FACE

:oops:

Friday's Legacy
Hob Nob Regular

by Friday's Legacy » 25 Jul 2011 18:35

Tredder Gabbidon - IN YOUR FACE

:oops:

oh dear. it does make you wonder what those billionaire owners are playing at. there is little chance qpr can stay up with that squad and new signings like gabbidon. when i heard he'd signed for someone on the radio i immediately assumed it was for a top end championship club. i was right.

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 25 Jul 2011 20:03

soggy biscuit
No Fixed Abode McEachran, Bertrand, Chalobah, Bruma, Van Aanholt, John Terry etc....not to mention the likes of Scott Sinclair, Jack Cork etc.... :lol:

Of course, Reading have the best Youth Policy going :lol:

Give the players I mentioned a chance! :lol:

Friday's Legacy
Hob Nob Regular

by Friday's Legacy » 25 Jul 2011 21:52

No Fixed Abode
soggy biscuit

reading has arguably the best academy in the country right now, most definitely outside the premiership but tell me one in the premiership that is producing better players at the rate we are?

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 25 Jul 2011 22:15

Friday's Legacy
No Fixed Abode
soggy biscuit

reading has arguably the best academy in the country right now, most definitely outside the premiership but tell me one in the premiership that is producing better players at the rate we are?

City
Villa
Liverpool
Arsenal
United

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 25 Jul 2011 22:38

'Most effective' might be a better phrase. United will churn players out who won't get near the team, City likewise (I couldn't name one for certain, Onuoha?), Liverpool yes but it's only recently with Spearing, Flanagan and Robinson.

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 25 Jul 2011 22:45

Most effective, you mean us bringing through the likes of Jake Taylor and Obita is more effective than the likes of Micah Richards, Albrighton, Gabby Agbonlahor etc?

Please :|

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 25 Jul 2011 22:53

leww_rfc
rhroyal
soggy biscuit How many of those went on to be regular Chelsea players?

This the same Bruma and Van Aanholt who looked utterly out of their depth against Long and Kebe last April?

and the same Scott Sinclair whos only had one good season with one team in the 2nd tier?

Nah, this is the Scott Sinclair that Chelsea bought from Bristol Rovers as a 16 year old. Hardly a product of their youth program.

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 25 Jul 2011 22:56

Big Foot Most effective, you mean us bringing through the likes of Jake Taylor and Obita is more effective than the likes of Micah Richards, Albrighton, Gabby Agbonlahor etc?

I thought you were better than making such gimpish comparisons. If you are going back to Richards and Agbonlahor breaking through then why are you not talking about Karacan and Pearce, both of whom, like the City and Villa players, have been regular first-teamers.

sheshnu

by sheshnu » 26 Jul 2011 00:50

Big Foot Most effective, you mean us bringing through the likes of Jake Taylor and Obita is more effective than the likes of Micah Richards, Albrighton, Gabby Agbonlahor etc?

Whilst I agree that there are several 'Premier League' clubs with academies on a par with Reading's: how many of them have sold one of their 'products' for £7 million+ ?

I'm being facetious of course but please don't belittle "our" club's tremendous efforts.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 26 Jul 2011 08:13

sheshnu

Whilst I agree that there are several 'Premier League' clubs with academies on a par with Reading's: how many of them have sold one of their 'products' for £7 million+ ?

Sunderland?
Newcastle?

Whore Jackie
Hob Nob Regular

by Whore Jackie » 26 Jul 2011 08:41

In the Championship, Middlesbrough's academy is very highly regarded.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 26 Jul 2011 08:49

sheshnu

I'm being facetious of course but please don't belittle "our" club's tremendous efforts.

What's the bigger achievement, producing the odd gem and selling them or producing a number of players who go on to be consistent performers in the top flight?

'Boro (Prem at the time of development), Villa and Southampton are other top academies that could quite happily claim to top ours.

I agree we shouldn't belittle what they're doing though, but at the same time it's best to keep some realism too.

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 26 Jul 2011 09:18

cmonurz

I thought you were better than making such gimpish comparisons. If you are going back to Richards and Agbonlahor breaking through then why are you not talking about Karacan and Pearce, both of whom, like the City and Villa players, have been regular first-teamers.

Not really wanting to get too involved, but Villa's academy has consistently produced players that have gone into their first team or at least hung around the Premiership. While 'stars' have not been quite so forthcoming (Agbonlahor probably the best player), they regularly churn out one or two Premiership quality players a year.

We are nowhere near that.

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 26 Jul 2011 10:31

Friday's Legacy
No Fixed Abode
soggy biscuit How many of those went on to be regular Chelsea players?

:lol:

leww_rfc
Hob Nob Regular

by leww_rfc » 26 Jul 2011 12:09

No Fixed Abode

Well can you?

Row Z Royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: LOLandmarks come and go. There'll only ever be one "Clickety Clique"

by Row Z Royal » 26 Jul 2011 13:07

leww_rfc
No Fixed Abode

Well can you?

7 have been listed above.

roadrunner
Hob Nob Regular

by roadrunner » 26 Jul 2011 16:14

It isn't the best academy but it's certainly more fruitful to it's first team than any other I can think of at the moment. How many other clubs have as many academy graduates in their first team line-up and squad as we do currently?

Tails
Hob Nob Regular

by Tails » 26 Jul 2011 16:18

We have an academy doing its fair share - more than can be said of most academies.

10604 posts