Silence for Robert Sebbage?

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Silence for Robert Sebbage?

by Jackson Corner » 05 Aug 2011 02:07

I have always thought it would be an idea at the start of the season for a minutes aplause/silence for all fans that have passed away in the pevious 12 months. There names could be scrolled on the big screen, after all we are always being told we are part of the team?

Tails
Hob Nob Regular

by Tails » 05 Aug 2011 03:04

^ Nice idea. Good compromise.

The Real Sandhurst Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by The Real Sandhurst Royal » 05 Aug 2011 07:10

Jackosn Corner wrote: I have always thought it would be an idea at the start of the season for a minutes aplause/silence for all fans that have passed away in the pevious 12 months. There names could be scrolled on the big screen, after all we are always being told we are part of the team?

Put the suggestion forward to the club, a great idea.

leicsRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by leicsRoyal » 05 Aug 2011 07:40

paultheroyal Back the boys man Paul Allen (if that's his name) to mention his sad passing in his rallying war cry, demanding an extra roar and clap from the supporters and job done!

I know the minutes clapping seems to be replacing the minutes silence but I think that should be left for the fans to appreciate what someone has done, not appropriate in this case.

Any loss of life is obviously sad and this being in exceptional circumstances heightens that. In saying that I think the club have done all that should be done as a club. If they have been in contact with the family, the club could have asked the family on their thoughts regarding a minutes silence, they may be totally against the idea.
I have no issues with paying this guy our respects, it would also be nice to know that we are showing the family our respect also and not just someone in the office who thinks it was a good idea.

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 05 Aug 2011 08:10

OK

Should we perform a minutes silence/applause to only Reading fans who've been killed or to just every fan that has just died?

It could happen every week.................. :shock:

leicsRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by leicsRoyal » 05 Aug 2011 08:15

Gordons Cumming OK

Should we perform a minutes silence/applause to only Reading fans who've been killed or to just every fan that has just died?

IMO this is different to someone who has just died, the club have been far more involved in this than would normally be the case.

Personally and with all due respect, I'm not too fussed whether we do or whether we don't.

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 05 Aug 2011 08:43

Minutes silences should be reserved for football legends(?),ex Reading players, current (perish the thought) and staff.

IMHO

Vic_Flange

by Vic_Flange » 05 Aug 2011 09:05

Jackson Corner I have always thought it would be an idea at the start of the season for a minutes aplause/silence for all fans that have passed away in the pevious 12 months. There names could be scrolled on the big screen, after all we are always being told we are part of the team?

oh great; that way we'd always being kicking off every season a minute late.

Thanks but no thanks.

westendgirl

by westendgirl » 05 Aug 2011 09:07

leicsRoyal
Gordons Cumming OK

IMO this is different to someone who has just died, the club have been far more involved in this than would normally be the case.

Personally and with all due respect, I'm not too fussed whether we do or whether we don't.

While I understand why this seems different I suspect the grief for anyone who dies - however it happens - is the same, it is the other emotions that will differ - anger etc for murder as against relief for someone who had been suffering. But you miss them just the same as it is their absence that is the hole in your life.

RayP

by RayP » 05 Aug 2011 09:26

Meanwhile, Robert’s family have been invited to Reading FC’s game against Millwall tomorrow as guests of chairman Sir John Madejski and players from both sides and fans will observe a minute’s silence in his honour.

http://www.getreading.co.uk/news/s/2097 ... rt_sebbage

There you go then

fridays child

by fridays child » 05 Aug 2011 10:28

Very sad that the young lad died. However I expect to die at some point and so will the many thousands of supporters we currently have. Are the club opening the door for every one one of us to have a minutes silence when that happens. (As it happens I wouldn't want one)

Yes the lad was a big fan, and yes he died horribly young. By all means invite his family to the game and give a mention in the programme, but leave it at that.

I'll pay my respects for the those that fought for this country, for football legends and ex/current players etc.. If something must be done then I'd go along with a minutes silence before the first/last game of the season for ALL fans who have passed away in the preceding 12 months.

I will not be standing, head bowed, and I refuse to be confined to the concourse. This doesn't mean I'll be shouting out inane comments during the minute, instead I'll sit in my seat reading or talking to the chap next to me as I normally do before kick off.

M-U-R-T-Y
Hob Nob Regular

by M-U-R-T-Y » 05 Aug 2011 12:00

fridays child I expect to die at some point and so will the many thousands of supporters we currently have.

Nah

Scrappy

by Scrappy » 05 Aug 2011 12:13

The official site appears to say that there are no plans for a minutes silence before the game.

Agent Balti
Hob Nob Regular

by Agent Balti » 05 Aug 2011 12:30

All very sad and tragic, but let the friends and family do what they want to do. I don't see any need involve 20,000 fans get involved for someone who they didn't know personally and only know because the story made the media.

I've known of 'a fan' over 60 years, man and boy die and he didn't get a mention, I don't see why a death via stabbing is more worthy than someone sadly passing from Cancer.

And besides, a minutes silence from Millwall fans? Ain't gonna happen.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 05 Aug 2011 12:45

Oh well, the disturbing trend of voyeuristically buying into other people's grief continues.

I find this all rather disturbing, but I'm certainly not going to avoid or refuse to join in a minutes silence if one is going to be held. It's one thing to say it's innapropriate and another thing entirely to show insensitivity and disrespect in failing to observe it when it happens.

Bandini
Hob Nob Regular
Location: No one must know I dropped my glasses in the toilet.

by Bandini » 05 Aug 2011 12:47

Ian Royal Oh well, the disturbing trend of voyeuristically buying into other people's grief continues.

I find this all rather disturbing, but I'm certainly not going to avoid or refuse to join in a minutes silence if one is going to be held. It's one thing to say it's innapropriate and another thing entirely to show insensitivity and disrespect in failing to observe it when it happens.

Your consideration in turning off the radio for the full minute will no doubt be appreciated.

manny96

by manny96 » 05 Aug 2011 12:55

As ridiculous as jumping on a grief bandwagon is making comparisons about whose death is more 'deserving'. For whatever reason, this has caught people's attention (given that we're talking about it here). I've said already there might be better ways to mark this than a minute's silence.

But surely part of being a community, part of being a fan instead of just another paying customer, is the strange connection people have to others they don't necessarily know personally? Why not use the minute's silence to reflect on other RFC fans who are no longer with us?

I also quite like the idea of the beginning of the season being marked by a minute for all those who have passed in the previous year.

Tredder
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Tredder » 05 Aug 2011 13:04

Whatever the rights or wrongs, who can and who can't, who's deserving and who's not, a young boy lost his life, he happens to be one of your fellow RFC fans, if there is a minutes silence/applauce, observe it, respect costs nothing.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 05 Aug 2011 17:28

I don't have time to read the entire thread, but on Facebook Reading FC came back and said that having spoken with the parents of Robert Sebbage they specifically said they would prefer not to have a minutes silence or applause.

I think it's best to respect their wishes.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 05 Aug 2011 17:30

Jackson Corner I have always thought it would be an idea at the start of the season for a minutes aplause/silence for all fans that have passed away in the pevious 12 months. There names could be scrolled on the big screen, after all we are always being told we are part of the team?
Perhaps the last home game of every season before kick off.