Silence for Robert Sebbage?

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Silence for Robert Sebbage?

by AthleticoSpizz » 05 Aug 2011 17:40

PEARCEY It doesn't hurt anyone by having a minute's silence so whats the big deal? The lad was murdered at the age of 18. Its pretty unusual and its very different from someone dying of natural causes.
I don't have a problem with it at all.
pretty much says it all for me too

In fact, moments like this briefly unites and galvanises the support around the ground at kick-off....................but then, what do I know?...I got shouted down by the big cheese for wanting the National Anthem at the Wembley play-offs.....

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 05 Aug 2011 17:46

Tredder Whatever the rights or wrongs, who can and who can't, who's deserving and who's not, a young boy lost his life, he happens to be one of your fellow RFC fans, if there is a minutes silence/applauce, observe it, respect costs nothing.

Absolutely no one has suggested they will refuse to observe a silence / applause if it is arranged.

Tails
Hob Nob Regular

by Tails » 05 Aug 2011 18:14

There has been some fair and respectable posts/views on this thread. However, some posters are severely lacking intelligence and basic empathy.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 05 Aug 2011 21:00

As a human being, I respect every minutes silence and would join in with any minutes applause, However in this case, If what Reading FC have stated is true (and why wouldn't it be?), that the family would prefer to have neither, then I believe neither should take place.

On a general note, whilst we are all fans united regardless of life outside of supporting the club and even regardless of which club we support, I do feel that, whilst all fans are equal, to have a minutes silence for the passing of just one of our numbers would start to become a bit too routine and it would be like going though the motions every week. The exception are extraordinary circumstances such as Charlie Matthews (West Stand Season ticket holder), who was one of the many killed in the Ufton Nerfet rail crash on the way home from the game. In this case he was killed in the line of duty, so to speak, having travelled to Reading for the game.

As for public figures, unless they are much loved figures associated with the club (Maurice Evans) or football in general (Sir Bobby Robson) the town itself or the nation (Queen Mum), I don't believe a Reading match is necessarily the right forum for which to pay tribute. (obviously if the opposition team have similar links which we do not then that is also acceptable and we shall join them in their minutes silence). Also Remembrance Day is very important.

I remember a few seasons back we seemed to have a minutes silence every other game and half the time I, sadly couldn't tell who or what it was for. If we have them all the time I'm sure some will even start to resent them which will be tragic.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 05 Aug 2011 21:10

its yet ANOTHER HNA OVERREACTION...............................O My oxf*rd God

How many of these events have we had for ex/players/managers/beneficiaries over the years...not that many

and even less for the folk that actually pay their wages

One minute......just one minute

Does it really matter?

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 05 Aug 2011 21:12

I will stay on the concourse before booing A-Fed for 90 minutes

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 05 Aug 2011 21:24

lol @ "demanding"

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 05 Aug 2011 21:26

Big Foot I will stay on the concourse before booing A-Fed for 90 minutes
Jamie...you've either been hacked or have regressed 3 minutes

a shame really

juanpablo
Hob Nob Regular

by juanpablo » 06 Aug 2011 12:48

if it happens im sure Millwall will observe it, worth noting that the family and people concerned could well be part of the forum so I say we just drop the whole thing. Closer to it than most as my younger brother was his friend and was also stabbed himself, they are good boys

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 06 Aug 2011 22:01

Good that this didn't happen

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 06 Aug 2011 22:46

Turns out he sat within about 5 yards of me if he had the same seat last season. Flowers and a message from the club on his seat. Nice touch. Well done to the club for dealing with this in the right way. RIP.

zummerset

by zummerset » 07 Aug 2011 17:39

leon sorry this is all getting a bit Lady Di.

My old man died last year - he was a Reading fan, his death was violent and unpleasant (he had a massive stroke that finally killed him 7 days later)

Why no 1 minute silence?

Get a grip ffs. You'll be wanting Elton John on as the team comes on next.

I always liked that candle in the wind song..why not?

Sarah Star
Hob Nob Regular

by Sarah Star » 07 Aug 2011 18:53

Got a respectful mention in the programme & picture of him with Graeme Murty.

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 07 Aug 2011 18:57

Tredder Always a pleasure, just glad to point out the stupidity of Mr Angry's comments and show the coffin, as i'm sure some of his fellow fans would love to marvel at the workmanship.

What was stupid about my "comments"?

I asked if this was the lad who got pi$$ed up, had a go at a taxi driver, and got stabbed.

That was a QUESTION.

:roll:

So are you saying he WASN'T pi$$ed up, DIDN'T have a go at a taxi driver and DIDN'T get stabbed?

What happened then??? Was he walking down the street, minding his own business, when some bloke just stabbed him for no reason?

You seem to know all the details - you must have been there.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 07 Aug 2011 19:36

Mr Angry
Tredder Always a pleasure, just glad to point out the stupidity of Mr Angry's comments and show the coffin, as i'm sure some of his fellow fans would love to marvel at the workmanship.

I asked if this was the lad who got pi$$ed up, had a go at a taxi driver, and got stabbed.

That was a QUESTION.

So are you saying he WASN'T pi$$ed up, DIDN'T have a go at a taxi driver and DIDN'T get stabbed?

What happened then??? Was he walking down the street, minding his own business, when some bloke just stabbed him for no reason?

Others were and I suggest that you read their account of what happened. Then you might care to modify your comments. Even the locals were saying that the guy accused of murdering him is a real head case.

BTW. What happened to the silence or did the EP get that wrong?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 07 Aug 2011 19:41

Got it wrong. There wasn't one.

jazz

by jazz » 07 Aug 2011 20:30

No. People die, get killed, unfair and tragic, but every association they had cannot be "remembered" in such a way.

Hiram K Hackenbacker

by Hiram K Hackenbacker » 07 Aug 2011 21:11

I agree

Tails
Hob Nob Regular

by Tails » 08 Aug 2011 01:04

Mr Angry

That was a QUESTION.

Perhaps you need to learn the art of a little subtly considering it is blindingly obvious that there are members of this board of whom either knew him or his family, quite well in some cases. Or perhaps you lack the intelligence to both identify this and employ an ounce of respect to those that will continue to live out this awful set of circumstances.

Sharpy
Hob Nob Regular

by Sharpy » 08 Aug 2011 09:52

saw some of his mates i guess, with personalised shirts....in y26.

RIP