Madejski Announcement

469 posts
brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Madejski Announcement

by brendywendy » 22 Aug 2011 16:48

Royal Lady
brendywendy
Avon Royal LOL at taking accounts at face value!

Reminds me, I must go see how my Enron shares are doing............... :roll:

surely enron are an example that proves that if you oxf*rd about and lie in your accounts, you will get found out, even if you are a mega huge super richpowerful and influential company?

If the hotel is included in the accounts for RFC holdings - then it is perfectly feasible that money is moved around within the accounts pertaining to the extension of the hotel. It doesn't have to list anything separately - it's all lumped together. So, I'm perfectly happy to accept the apologies from those who denied the hotel was even in the accounts when I mentioned it earlier on today.

good luck with that, and lol at getting like this over it

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 22 Aug 2011 16:50

I'd have to see the full accounts with all notes and disclsures to be sure but seeing as the accounts Tinrib posted on Page 10 say "Non Consolidated" I would assume that the hotel is NOT included in the numbers.

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 22 Aug 2011 16:53

RoyalBlue
Spirit of Elm Park Surely, all anyone needs to understand is that with our attendances the money coming in is not sufficient to keep the club in the black once the wages, running costs etc have been taken out. Therefore we need to sell to fill in the void. If there is an amount left over then it will go toward the next years void, which 'will' happen. Its all quite simple. All these people who don't 'understand' are either plainly daft, or are searching for the footballing equivalent of the holy grail.

I still think our little well run club is as saleable as any other, especially in the well run financial shape that it is. I mean, once the leicester owners/Man Citeh owners get bored, whose going to be able to buy them? There just are not the potential owners around.

No, the people who are daft are those who swallow every single justification/account/excuse/waffle that comes out of Madejski's mouth. His 'statement' was the work of a skilled politician in that, for all the words, he did b*gger all to answer the questions with straight forward facts. And as for claiming that he doesn't know whether the club is breaking even...... well if true, that alone is reason for him to go now.

Those people accepting the void argument/justification have clearly lost track of all of the voids that have already been used to justify past player sales. What's the betting the same thing happens next summer and it is to fill the voids that you guys claim the Long and Mills money is being used to fill.

All these voids and a wage bill that has Madejski whinging about it fly completely in the face of the well run business and sensible wage structure arguments that we have been fed for years to justify our lack of investment in the squad.

And our club (with its repeated voids) will only be as saleable as any other if the Chairman is asking a sensible price and is not imposing sale conditions such as keeping his name on the stadium.

SoEP has it spot on, Why do you expect SJM to give you any details on where the money goes? From the Sig transfer we settled the seasons debt and the rest went into Kish's bank account to fund his baby Bentley, and the wages/transfer for Harte and Ledge.

This year there will be some to spend but it won't be the huge amounts everyone is expecting once the wage bill is covered.

SJM has seen his empire collapse over the past few years, after his fortune getting up to about £300m it's now half that, he's selling his hotel, sold his stake in station hill (after haemorrhaging money for years) and struggling to support his print business which is also losing shedloads. He's not in a position to bankroll RFC anymore but he's certainly not taking any money out of it.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 22 Aug 2011 16:56

Wah wah wah. Tell us where the money is wah wah wah.

Explanation.

Wah wah wah, you're lying! Wah wah wah.

Don't oxf*rd ask, if you're not going to listen to the answer.

If Madejski says that we didn't get nearly as much as the £12m the media reports we did, who do you trust? The man who's run the club successfully for 20 years, who'll have a pretty good idea, or the media who we all know just makes stuff up and guesses?

And yet still people bang on about £10m black holes which they've invented themselves based on a previous statement about £3m - £4m black holes and some highly spurious transfer fee speculation.

Just oxf*rd off the lot of yas.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 22 Aug 2011 16:59

If only Ian Royal would take his own advice sometimes.

It's a discussion board - if people want to question things, that is their prerogative. For my own part, I'm rather miffed that I've been slagged off for daring to the mention the hotel and yet someone who has, apparently, looked at the accounts, confirms the hotel is lumped in with the football club under RFC Holdings Limited. Well I never. :roll:

Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Avon Royal » 22 Aug 2011 17:05

Ian Royal Wah wah wah. Tell us where the money is wah wah wah.

Explanation.

If Madejski says that we didn't get nearly as much as the £12m the media reports we did, who do you trust? The man who's run the club successfully for 20 years, who'll have a pretty good idea, or the media who we all know just makes stuff up and guesses?

And yet still people bang on about £10m black holes which they've invented themselves based on a previous statement about £3m - £4m black holes and some highly spurious transfer fee speculation.

The accounts are just numbers on a page (Even RR has indicated that they are of little value without further context). It's what goes on behind the numbers that many are interested in.

I know, I know - I'll piss off and support another club.........

Z175
Hob Nob Regular

by Z175 » 22 Aug 2011 17:05

Some points for the record. Anyone who wants to can request accounts from companies house - http://www.companieshouse.gov.uk

Firstly- RFC Holdings includes both the hotel and the results of the football club. Reading Football Club is just the club. The hotel was initially loss making and seperately loaned money from SJM. It has now profitable and has paid this back and could now potentially subsidise the club.

Secondly, SJM takes no salary, no dividends and no money out of the club other than interest on his loans of £20m. This is at a rate BELOW base rate, so is currently NIL. If anybody feels like abusing the man please ensure you would be prepared to work without any pay or reward whilst being abused in the same fashion.

Thirdly, over the last 6 years, almost every penny of our TV income from the premierleague, parachute payments and ticket revenue has been spent on players. RFC earnt approximately £60m from tv, £32m from parachutes and £40m from ticket revenues over this period and spent £130m on playing staff wages alone. Therefore all running costs of the club, stadium, training facilities and of course incoming transfer obligations are currently being met by player sales.

Fourthly transfer income is obviously paid over a number of years and dependant on numerous clauses. Therefore I think SJM makes it clear that its not as simple as spending £11m on new players, or indeed £4m. We probably can rely on an extra £2.5m a year over the next 4 or 5 years and so it is this figure that will be built into our new budgets. As we have probably budgeted to a £3m or so loss then this will result only in break even for 2011-2012, so to actually pay lots of cash for any new players right now would lead to borrowing.

Fifthly, of course this is different from most clubs, who spent either next years season ticket money (leeds, cardiff), dead peoples money that is in dispute (Soton), money borrowed against a new stadium (Brighton), Imaginary money gained by fraud (leicester) etc etc. Reading could gently pledge future cash to fund a new team but the currently strategy has given us more success than the above clubs so why change?

Sixthly, we pay our players high wages so that we attract top players and they no doubt get bonuses for all our recent success, cup runs etc, but most importantly they get high wages so they tie themselves down and can be sold for lots. An alternative would be paying lesser wages, having worse players, not need to sell them and playing in league 1. The wagebill is still big as Long and Mills will still be on it, much as Harper was the year before and Hunt and Doyle before that. Comments above the £20m is ridiculous are wide of the mark as
a) rough calculations based on football manager £xK a week do not include the 12.8% extra employees NI on all wages and the fact that bonuses are likely to have the tax paid by the company (not exactly normal but very common) which leads to a 66.67% tax rate, all of which is included in salary costs.
and b) the average championship wagebill is over £20m.

Seventhly and finally, people have asked where would we be without all these sales and surely no other champ club has brought in so much income.... well the best example is Sheffield Utd. They got a reported £25m from west ham but are now an estimated £56m in debt and of course, are in league 1. Other clubs rack up more debt each year. I did an analysis of the league in Coppell's final year and found that of the top half, only Swansea and Burnley were profitable. "wheres the money from?" would be a more appropriate chant.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 22 Aug 2011 17:07

Avon Royal

Explanation.

The accounts are just numbers on a page

lol

TFF
Hob Nob Addict

by TFF » 22 Aug 2011 17:08

Z175 Blah blah blah

Bowman's Quiver

by Bowman's Quiver » 22 Aug 2011 17:13

Z175 Some points for the record. Anyone who wants to can request accounts from companies house - http://www.companieshouse.gov.uk

Firstly- RFC Holdings includes both the hotel and the results of the football club. Reading Football Club is just the club. The hotel was initially loss making and seperately loaned money from SJM. It has now profitable and has paid this back and could now potentially subsidise the club.

Secondly, SJM takes no salary, no dividends and no money out of the club other than interest on his loans of £20m. This is at a rate BELOW base rate, so is currently NIL. If anybody feels like abusing the man please ensure you would be prepared to work without any pay or reward whilst being abused in the same fashion.

Thirdly, over the last 6 years, almost every penny of our TV income from the premierleague, parachute payments and ticket revenue has been spent on players. RFC earnt approximately £60m from tv, £32m from parachutes and £40m from ticket revenues over this period and spent £130m on playing staff wages alone. Therefore all running costs of the club, stadium, training facilities and of course incoming transfer obligations are currently being met by player sales.

Fourthly transfer income is obviously paid over a number of years and dependant on numerous clauses. Therefore I think SJM makes it clear that its not as simple as spending £11m on new players, or indeed £4m. We probably can rely on an extra £2.5m a year over the next 4 or 5 years and so it is this figure that will be built into our new budgets. As we have probably budgeted to a £3m or so loss then this will result only in break even for 2011-2012, so to actually pay lots of cash for any new players right now would lead to borrowing.

Fifthly, of course this is different from most clubs, who spent either next years season ticket money (leeds, cardiff), dead peoples money that is in dispute (Soton), money borrowed against a new stadium (Brighton), Imaginary money gained by fraud (leicester) etc etc. Reading could gently pledge future cash to fund a new team but the currently strategy has given us more success than the above clubs so why change?

Sixthly, we pay our players high wages so that we attract top players and they no doubt get bonuses for all our recent success, cup runs etc, but most importantly they get high wages so they tie themselves down and can be sold for lots. An alternative would be paying lesser wages, having worse players, not need to sell them and playing in league 1. The wagebill is still big as Long and Mills will still be on it, much as Harper was the year before and Hunt and Doyle before that. Comments above the £20m is ridiculous are wide of the mark as
a) rough calculations based on football manager £xK a week do not include the 12.8% extra employees NI on all wages and the fact that bonuses are likely to have the tax paid by the company (not exactly normal but very common) which leads to a 66.67% tax rate, all of which is included in salary costs.

Seventhly and finally, people have asked where would we be without all these sales and surely no other champ club has brought in so much income.... well the best example is Sheffield Utd. They got a reported £25m from west ham but are now an estimated £56m in debt and of course, are in league 1. Other clubs rack up more debt each year. I did an analysis of the league in Coppell's final year and found that of the top half, only Swansea and Burnley were profitable. "wheres the money from?" would be a more appropriate chant.

Outstanding post!

Tinrib

by Tinrib » 22 Aug 2011 17:16

Royal Lady If only Ian Royal would take his own advice sometimes.

It's a discussion board - if people want to question things, that is their prerogative. For my own part, I'm rather miffed that I've been slagged off for daring to the mention the hotel and yet someone who has, apparently, looked at the accounts, confirms the hotel is lumped in with the football club under RFC Holdings Limited. Well I never. :roll:

The accounts I listed are for the Club only, the Holding Co is the ultimate parent of all subsidiaries, inc the Hotel.

FYI - the Hotel @ June 2010 turned over £4.56m (10% down on 2009 / 22% down on 2008)
Made an operating loss of £275k
Total trading loss - £403k

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 22 Aug 2011 17:17

it is isnt it.

its just a shame that half of the moon on a stick gang wont read it, and the other half will reply with- yeah but accountants are all liars and crooks

tin rib- do we know what the total +/- is for the hotel since it was built. has it earned us or lost us money over that time?

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 22 Aug 2011 17:18

“Mr Angry”, (sigh)

“So someone disagrees with your point of view and you become abusive.”

No, yet another fartsack pukes out a set of bollocks from their ivory towers with a self-satisfied twist to their lips, and I become annoyed at dodging gonad rain. Feel free to catch them on your tongue if you like, “Mr Angry” – I’m just rather tired of hearing this piss-poor argument. “Money doesn’t buy you success! Look at this one example I’ve managed to find in two decades of football!” You know what? You are right! Quick, don’t use money ever again! Let’s MAKE players out of old bits of Christmas card, and leftovers from the fridge! Because there are only two ways to manage a club; (1) Hurl loads of money randomly at idiots without thought or research or (2) spend oxf*rd all but do your homework, make considered and researched decisions! It’s one or the other! Compromise is MADNESS!

“Tell you what son, put your money where your mouth is”

I do, meatwipe. Every fvcking weekend. Unfortunately though I seem to have paid a sum which should assure me of watching professional footballers, I seem to be agog at a back four who play like they have won the opportunity on Jim’ll Fixit.

Friday's Legacy
Hob Nob Regular

by Friday's Legacy » 22 Aug 2011 17:20

Bowman's Quiver
Z175 Some points for the record. Anyone who wants to can request accounts from companies house - http://www.companieshouse.gov.uk

Outstanding post!

seconded. anyone would think Z175 is on the rfc payroll. :wink:

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 22 Aug 2011 17:20

Extended-Phenotype “Mr Angry”, (sigh)

“So someone disagrees with your point of view and you become abusive.”

No, yet another fartsack pukes out a set of bollocks from their ivory towers with a self-satisfied twist to their lips, and I become annoyed at dodging gonad rain. Feel free to catch them on your tongue if you like, “Mr Angry” – I’m just rather tired of hearing this piss-poor argument. “Money doesn’t buy you success! Look at this one example I’ve managed to find in two decades of football!” You know what? You are right! Quick, don’t use money ever again! Let’s MAKE players out of old bits of Christmas card, and leftovers from the fridge! Because there are only two ways to manage a club; (1) Hurl loads of money randomly at idiots without thought or research or (2) spend oxf*rd all but do your homework, make considered and researched decisions! It’s one or the other! Compromise is MADNESS!

“Tell you what son, put your money where your mouth is”

I do, meatwipe. Every fvcking weekend. Unfortunately though I seem to have paid a sum which should assure me of watching professional footballers, I seem to be agog at a back four who play like they have won the opportunity on Jim’ll Fixit.

awful

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 22 Aug 2011 17:20

Avon Royal

Explanation.

The accounts are just numbers on a page (Even RR has indicated that they are of little value without further context). It's what goes on behind the numbers that many are interested in.

I didn't tell you to piss off and support another club, I merely suggested that if you thought that only winning titles constitute a good season you'd be best off supporting Utd, because the vast majority see bugger all of them and will only have mediocre seasons by your standards.

muddyfeet
Hob Nob Regular

by muddyfeet » 22 Aug 2011 17:21

never ceases to amaze me how wound up people get on here

:roll:

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 22 Aug 2011 17:22

Z175

You make it sound like we have doyle, long, kitson, sidwell, shorey, etc all playing for us. We don't. We have unproven championship players barring only 2/3- kebe and maybe federici and at a push macanuff the journeyman. The rest are journeyman who have never proved themselves above this level, aging players close to retirement, kids we've picked up and YTS players from the academy. They should not be on high wages as traditionally these types of players aren't. We've sold all our big name attractive players now. We are down to just your average run of the mill championship squad with some promising young players who won't be on high wages....yet. You are vastly over-rating what these players will be on. Can you find something which shows us the average championship wage bill per club? Id love to know how the average wage bill is over 20 million.
Last edited by FiNeRaIn on 22 Aug 2011 17:22, edited 1 time in total.

Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Avon Royal » 22 Aug 2011 17:22

Ian Royal
Avon Royal

Explanation.

I didn't tell you to piss off and support another club, I merely suggested that if you thought that only winning titles constitute a good season you'd be best off supporting Utd, because the vast majority see bugger all of them and will only have mediocre seasons by your standards.

I actually said that being promoted was a good season, and winning the title was a very good season. :wink:

Tinrib

by Tinrib » 22 Aug 2011 17:22

brendywendy it is isnt it.

its just a shame that half of the moon on a stick gang wont read it, and the other half will reply with- yeah but accountants are all liars and crooks

tin rib- do we know what the total +/- is for the hotel since it was built. has it earned us or lost us money over that time?

the Hotel has a positive net worth at June 2010 of £1.159m

There is however a long term loan secured against it, currently standing at £7m.

469 posts