Madejski Announcement

469 posts
TFF
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Madejski Announcement

by TFF » 23 Aug 2011 16:17

Finerain, when we were in the premier league we earned an awful lot of money. We spent it all on wages.

Now we are in the Championship we earn less money. We still spend all of it on wages.

Follow?

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 23 Aug 2011 16:19

You two are talking absolute nonsense, firstly show me where I last mentioned the premier league money.

Secondly, TFF ( latecomer who clearly hasn't followed my last few posts) there are people on here trying to justify wages of 18-20 million NOW, im saying there is not a chance we are paying that now.

Follow?

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 23 Aug 2011 16:20

All I've seen is people showing you our budget of 2010 as an example of where all our money goes and you going on about how we can't possibly have a wage bill that high.

No shit, but that doesn't mean that all our money isn't still being spent on wages, because our income is significantly lower than then as well.

TFF
Hob Nob Addict

by TFF » 23 Aug 2011 16:24

LOLatecomer. Check page 3 m8

I have been reading your last few posts. Hence the Jack and Jill explanation. HTH

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 23 Aug 2011 16:26

ZacNaloen All I've seen is people showing you our budget of 2010 as an example of where all our money goes and you going on about how we can't possibly have a wage bill that high.

No shit, but that doesn't mean that all our money isn't still being spent on wages, because our income is significantly lower than then as well.

There has been at least two posters trying to explain that 20 million on the squad now is likely, you can go back and find them a few pages back, pretty sure they were banging on about tax and appearance fee's,etc

The second point, I have never said most of our money is NOT going on wages...but both of you please feel free to argue that point despite me not disagreeing with it in the first place.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 23 Aug 2011 16:48

the value of prestige, publicity and status should not be overlooked, not to mention the use of the facilities and the profit to be made when you sell it on.

care to quantify it?
i remember someone at the time of the emirates deal, probably svlad, saying that the value to a company of having their name on a stadium was a percentage of the value of the club itself.

> But what we are covering with these sales is projected future loss. This is where the division is with fans; should we protect the bank balance and hope youth/unknowns come good and keep us challenging in the league, or do we inject more cash into the team to make a serious challenge and protect the balance with future performance? Obviously the latter sounds more ambitious, exciting and more in line with what fans, who are interested in the game not the accounting, want for their buck.

but surely the pojnt is that JM is incapable of giving us the extra every year, and the cost of credit too high, so we cant. its not a case of choice.

Super Kevin Bremner!
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Super Kevin Bremner! » 23 Aug 2011 16:57

I'm getting really nostalgic memories of fat old w@nkers stood on the Tilehurst End at Elm Park, shouting 'Get yer sodding chequebook out Merdayski'.

I would have thought that with the internet and the masses of information available on it, that those levels of complete ignorance would have now disappeared. How wonderfully naiive!

I'll re-iterate that I can't see how people are still managing to tenuously argue their points in the face of such clear and daunting facts.

I guess one option SJM has is to register another manager to take over Man Utd, who can then buy all of Reading's youth players for absolute millions, and release all the fringe United players who can then sign for Reading for peanuts and get us promoted.

Oh, hang on, this is real life, not Champ Manager isn't it.

Who Moved The Goalposts?

by Who Moved The Goalposts? » 23 Aug 2011 17:04

Super Kevin Bremner! I'm getting really nostalgic memories of fat old w@nkers stood on the Tilehurst End at Elm Park, shouting 'Get yer sodding chequebook out Merdayski'.

I would have thought that with the internet and the masses of information available on it, that those levels of complete ignorance would have now disappeared. How wonderfully naiive!

I'll re-iterate that I can't see how people are still managing to tenuously argue their points in the face of such clear and daunting facts.

I guess one option SJM has is to register another manager to take over Man Utd, who can then buy all of Reading's youth players for absolute millions, and release all the fringe United players who can then sign for Reading for peanuts and get us promoted.

Oh, hang on, this is real life, not Champ Manager isn't it.

Agree with almost all this, SKB. The only slight quibble I have your use of "real life". No idea what an alternative might be, but football and real life are some way off each other :cry:

Cypry

by Cypry » 23 Aug 2011 18:04

FiNeRaIn
ZacNaloen All I've seen is people showing you our budget of 2010 as an example of where all our money goes and you going on about how we can't possibly have a wage bill that high.

There has been at least two posters trying to explain that 20 million on the squad now is likely, you can go back and find them a few pages back, pretty sure they were banging on about tax and appearance fee's,etc

The second point, I have never said most of our money is NOT going on wages...but both of you please feel free to argue that point despite me not disagreeing with it in the first place.

If you're referring to me, I never said that we were spending £20M on salaries now (in fact we weren't in the 2010 accounts - £20M was a number you made up)...
the point I was trying to make was that whilst you "calculated" that the first team squad was averaging £15k a week, in fact, it is nothing like that. Even if we were to halve that average amount to £7.5k a week, we still end up with a wage bill of £11M, JUST FOR THOSE WITH SQUAD NUMBERS. All of this is speculation to a degree, as we'll never know what each player is paid, but as if you apply sensible numbers to the calculation, it really isn't hard to see why we might have a wage bill of £14M at least this year once you take into account all the backroom staff, players without squad numbers etc even if you do take into account Long / Mills / Ingi / Kish all leaving - remember Long was on less than £500k a year and I think Ingi's contract was pay as you play...

Add to that that when we had the £16M salary bill in the 2010 accounts, we also received our last parachute payment which would have covered a significant proportion of those salaries, and we no longer get that, it's really not that difficult to see why we have to sell players to fill the gap......

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 23 Aug 2011 18:13

And, as I've pointed out a couple of times at least, £18m total equates to £16m gross wages due to Employers NIC being (almost certainly) included in the number shown in the accounts.

STAR Liaison
Hob Nob Regular

by STAR Liaison » 23 Aug 2011 18:55

FiNeRaIn You two are talking absolute nonsense, firstly show me where I last mentioned the premier league money.

Secondly, TFF ( latecomer who clearly hasn't followed my last few posts) there are people on here trying to justify wages of 18-20 million NOW, im saying there is not a chance we are paying that now.

Follow?

I don't know what the absolute amount is until the 2011 accounts are published but I was told at the last Management meeting I attended that last season RFC was in the top 8 of the Championship in wage bill terms, so out wages are not average (or median or mode etc) but above average, and it would seem it is a policy at RFC to pay good wages to keep players rather than high transfer fees to bring in new ones. Whether it is right or not we shall see in time - it worked fairly well last season. As with transfer fees, it is the players it is spent on that matters, not the spending itself; high wages for crap players won't work any better than high transfer fees on crap players.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 23 Aug 2011 18:56

Royal Rother And, as I've pointed out a couple of times at least, £18m total equates to £16m gross wages due to Employers NIC being (almost certainly) included in the number shown in the accounts.

Is there also a figure in the accounts for depreciation relating to Bryn and Harte?
Is there also a provision for bad players such as Harte (again) and Hunt? :wink:

Jerry St Clair
Hob Nob Regular

by Jerry St Clair » 23 Aug 2011 19:06

I wouldn't blame Madejski if he just fukked off and told you bunch of ungrateful bastards to go forth and multiply.

As far as I'm concerned he's running my football club properly. If you lot want some fake sheikh to come in and promise to spend masses, go ahead, but don't go whinging in a couple of years time when they get bored and the whole thing goes totally tits up.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 23 Aug 2011 19:14

Jerry St Clair I wouldn't blame Madejski if he just fukked off and told you bunch of ungrateful bastards to go forth and multiply.

As far as I'm concerned he's running my football club properly. If you lot want some fake sheikh to come in and promise to spend masses, go ahead, but don't go whinging in a couple of years time when they get bored and the whole thing goes totally tits up.

Why a "fake" sheikh and not a real sheikh like the one at Man City ?
I remember people saying "who is this Polish bloke?" about 20 years ago.
Not all foreigners are baddies.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 23 Aug 2011 19:27

Victor Meldrew I remember people saying "who is this Polish bloke?" about 20 years ago.

Retards?

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 23 Aug 2011 19:41

Platypuss
Victor Meldrew I remember people saying "who is this Polish bloke?" about 20 years ago.

Retards?

Yes.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 23 Aug 2011 20:18

Jerry St Clair I wouldn't blame Madejski if he just fukked off and told you bunch of ungrateful bastards to go forth and multiply.

I can't wait until we get a "fake Sheikh" in as Chairman. Rest Assured I will immediately be calling for the signings of Messi, Ronaldo and Neymar.

Meanwhile, in reality, all we really need is some reinforcement in defence. Mills Jr is a start and now we need an extra CB. If you and the other blind Madejski followers want to interpret that as spending all the money we've received from the sales of Mills and Long then that is your prerogative.

If the bank manager and the tax man are more worried about us than they are with the likes of West Ham then I suggest he gets his priorities right.

swansea jack

by swansea jack » 23 Aug 2011 20:30

Can't wait for the same discussions on our board if we get relegated...

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 23 Aug 2011 20:37

swansea jack Can't wait for the same discussions on our board if we get relegated...

Enjoy it while you are there.

We never invested heavily in the prem, when we went down we thought all the money generated by those years would be used to secure us some realistic players over the next few seasons to get us back up. We finished 8th and were expecting to strengthen for the second prem season...didn't, got relegated and have sold sold sold ever since. The big pot of money we thought we had saved away to secure us didn't exist and this is us today. Constant black hole's and financial turmoil, just because we paid the team that won the league for us absolute shed loads when they weren't even proven prem players.

Seriously, enjoy the prem while you are there.

comeonyouroyals

by comeonyouroyals » 23 Aug 2011 21:04

FiNeRaIn
Extended-Phenotype
We have the data on here somewhere that Reading pay average wages for the championship, so this supposed excuse for less investment doesn’t work either. Plus, who are these ‘top players’? Our transfers in are from lower leagues, or old dudes sat around on benches. And who are we keeping hold of? The minute these players hit peak, we sell them.

This is what I take issue with. There is just no way we are close to 18-20 million on wages, I don't care how many bonuses, fee's, catering staff or tax you come up with. Not even close. Considering the catering staff get probably around 40 quid a home game and there are maybe a hundred of them :lol: The majority of our squad would still have to be well above 10k per week to make that viable...and when you look at the stature of players we have, unknowns, youth players and journeymen....there is not a CHANCE. The only way this would be believable is if the Hotel was paying over 5 million in wages and that's doubtful.

We may be paying the average wages but if we don't bring in the average income then we can't afford the average wage bill hence the need to sell players. Prehaps most other clubs are happy to borrow from banks or their chairman is willing to plough in the millions they need, but that isn't how Reading Fc is run.

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/English-football-is-staggering-3-5billion-in-debt-according-to-Deloitte-report-on-2009-2010-finances-article745662.html

Only four of the top flight clubs made money in the 2009-10 season, running up collective losses of £2.6bn. In the Championship, only Reading, Swansea and West Brom did not go into the red in that campaign.

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/En ... z1Vsrica6D

That quote alone shows to me that just because other teams are going out and spending money doesn't mean they can afford to, they are just alot less cautious than us.

469 posts