swansea jack

Was looking for something a bit more inspiring than what we got tbh

A CDM imo is essential for you

roadrunner
Hob Nob Regular

Re: The Summer 2011 transfer thread

by roadrunner » 01 Sep 2011 07:47

T.R.O.L.I.
paultheroyal West Ham who have made some staggering purchases.

Indeed - shit or bust vis a vis promotion.

Would love them to balls it up TBH!

'greed. Can't believe their signings considering we were hearing how close they were to going into financial meltdown if they got relegated. I would love it, love it of it all goes pete tong.

leww_rfc
swansea jack Was looking for something a bit more inspiring than what we got tbh

A CDM imo is essential for you

Agreed, but they can't score for toffee.

roadrunner
Hob Nob Regular

by roadrunner » 01 Sep 2011 07:52

paultheroyal Leicester get Beckford for 4 million. Even more head scratching :shock:

In the sense that he dropped a division? Then I agree, but quality signing by Leicester!

Everton are in deep deep doo doo. Yakubu and Beckford gone, an injury prone Saha left to carry the weight of the world on his shoulders, plus some loan gamble from Real that never lived up to the early hype.

The bank wont lend them any more money and they have a huge wage bill to manage on gate receipts, tv money and sponsorship alone. How long before they fall into administration?

soggy biscuit
Hob Nob Addict

by soggy biscuit » 01 Sep 2011 08:17

Arteta agrees wage cut from £60k a week to £45k a week to get his move to Arsenal.

Heard this morning that Charlton signed 18 players

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 01 Sep 2011 08:45

Have to agree on all the points re Meireles, he is a quality signing for Chelsea. Reading the Liverpool boards they are sad to see him go, the one criticism that he sometimes goes missing in games, but that's tempered by all that he brought to the side. A gamble for Liverpool on Henderson but as TBM says if Meireles wanted out because he wasn't guaranteed a start, then they may as well make some money back on him.

Arteta is a cracking signing for Arsenal. Wenger has pulled it out of the back with some astute signings.

And Natalie Sawyer >>>>>>>>> the rest after last night. Holy moly.

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 01 Sep 2011 08:47

Biggest surprise for me was that no-one (well, just Spurs) considered Cahill worth a punt. Coates and Mertesacker were cheaper options for Arsenal and Liverpool, United and Chelsea don't need him, remains to be seen which of those four, or Spurs, are struggling at Xmas and pinch him for £6-7m in the next window.

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 01 Sep 2011 08:51

Can't see this has been mentioned before - BBC says that Crouch only moved to Stoke after being told he may not have made Spurs' 25-man Premier League squad. He might not be everyone's cup of tea, but he's better than that, surely?

soggy biscuit
Hob Nob Addict

by soggy biscuit » 01 Sep 2011 08:56

Really looking forward to seeing Arteta at Arsenal.

Seal
Hob Nob Regular

by Seal » 01 Sep 2011 08:57

RobRoyal
readingfc13 Meireles to Chelsea on a 4 year deal... :shock:

What the hell are Liverpool doing? They've pissed away a big talent in Meireles so they can bring that donkey Henderson through? Poor call.

I'm pretty sure this is public knowledge, but apparently Fenway Sports Group didn't honour an agreement made between Meireles and Gillet/Hicks that if he performed well in his first season he would get a bumper pay increase (he was one of the lower earners last season).

He's been annoyed about it all summer and looking for a way out. Agree it's a good piece of business for Chelsea.

Also apparently Wenger refused to up an offer for Scott Parker by £400k which would have secured a deal. Astonishing.

Starfish
Hob Nob Regular

by Starfish » 01 Sep 2011 08:58

cmonurz Biggest surprise for me was that no-one (well, just Spurs) considered Cahill worth a punt. Coates and Mertesacker were cheaper options for Arsenal and Liverpool, United and Chelsea don't need him, remains to be seen which of those four, or Spurs, are struggling at Xmas and pinch him for £6-7m in the next window.

I am not that surprised about Cahill, to be honest. I would not be at all surprised to see Arsenal offer an even more 'derisory' sum and get him in January.

Starfish
Hob Nob Regular

by Starfish » 01 Sep 2011 09:00

Seal Also apparently Wenger refused to up an offer for Scott Parker by £400k which would have secured a deal. Astonishing.

There was talk at the beginning of the summer that the Arsenal backroom staff were really trying to push Wenger to buy Parker but that he simply didn't want him. At any price.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 01 Sep 2011 09:11

Transfer dudline day is utter shit isn't it? Belmonts in car parks celebrating loan signings/trying to swear on live telly whil that Gary bloke tries to out-twat Jim White

Only saving grace was Natalie, looking stunning with all the baby weight shed. The best there is, the best there was, the best there ever will be

roadrunner
Hob Nob Regular

by roadrunner » 01 Sep 2011 09:14

Silver Fox Transfer dudline day is utter shit isn't it?

Only saving grace was Natalie, looking stunning with all the baby weight shed. The best there is, the best there was, the best there ever will be

Hear hear! Looked her filthy best last night.

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 01 Sep 2011 09:37

cmonurz Can't see this has been mentioned before - BBC says that Crouch only moved to Stoke after being told he may not have made Spurs' 25-man Premier League squad. He might not be everyone's cup of tea, but he's better than that, surely?

^^^ This really confuses me. Consistently one of their top scorers and the main reason why VDV scored so many (lay-off/flick-on from Crouch and boom)

Spurs looking really weak up front to me now. Very un-harry-like

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 01 Sep 2011 09:48

John Madejski's Wallet
cmonurz Can't see this has been mentioned before - BBC says that Crouch only moved to Stoke after being told he may not have made Spurs' 25-man Premier League squad. He might not be everyone's cup of tea, but he's better than that, surely?

^^^ This really confuses me. Consistently one of their top scorers and the main reason why VDV scored so many (lay-off/flick-on from Crouch and boom)

Spurs looking really weak up front to me now. Very un-harry-like

Adebayor, Defoe, Pavlyuchenko, Van der Vaart

They normally only play 1 up with VdV just behind anyway - so wouldn't say there were weak.

£12m for a 30 year old though is very good business by Spurs - hence why 'arry pushed him out the door

soggy biscuit
Hob Nob Addict

by soggy biscuit » 01 Sep 2011 10:07

Seal Also apparently Wenger refused to up an offer for Scott Parker by £400k which would have secured a deal. Astonishing.

Not sure how much of that I believe.

Must be the easiest football story in the world to write at the moment. Pick player, claim Arsenal wanted him, throw in a small amount that he wouldn't up his offer by and this Wenger character created by the media backs up the story that they lost out by being tight fisted.

I hear Meireles could have gone to Arsenal but Wenger refused to offer him the £70k a week he wanted and wouldn't budge above £68k a week. It's deffo true because Jeff Stelling & The Daily Mirror say that is what he is like. etc etc etc

Seal
Hob Nob Regular

by Seal » 01 Sep 2011 10:11

It came from the Ex Arsenal commercial director so a relatively sound source...

RobRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by RobRoyal » 01 Sep 2011 10:24

TBM
RobRoyal
readingfc13 Meireles to Chelsea on a 4 year deal... :shock:

What the hell are Liverpool doing? They've pissed away a big talent in Meireles so they can bring that donkey Henderson through? Poor call.

He asked to leave Liverpool

No point keeping a player against his will - as Spurs will find out when Modric will turn out shit this season and they'll struggle to get £10m for him next summer

Yes he did. I wonder whether that might have had something to do with the fact that he's suddenly a reserve player despite an excellent first season - in which case, more fool Liverpool.

Agreed on Modric. Maybe one day Harry will realise he should try and do some business before the last day of the window. They should have had a replacement lined up and then sold Modric for £40m. It's a great offer for a wantaway player.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 01 Sep 2011 10:29

soggy biscuit

Must be the easiest football story in the world to write at the moment. Pick player, claim Arsenal wanted him, throw in a small amount that he wouldn't up his offer by and this Wenger character created by the media backs up the story that they lost out by being tight fisted.

^^'greed

LOL

So Arsenal refused to offer £400k more to West Ham (to take the offer to £5m) for Parker but instead go and spend £5m more (£10m) on a another player :lol:

Seal
Hob Nob Regular

by Seal » 01 Sep 2011 10:49

TBM
soggy biscuit

^^'greed

LOL

So Arsenal refused to offer £400k more to West Ham (to take the offer to £5m) for Parker but instead go and spend £5m more (£10m) on a another player :lol:

:|

Maybe because Arteta and Parker valued differently by their clubs and (clearly) Wenger respectively?

10602 posts