Long to WBA

1376 posts
Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Long to WBA

by Hoop Blah » 17 Oct 2011 11:05

Svlad Cjelli
Harpers So Solid Crew The real question is why do RFC have to be so secretive about how much we buy or sell players for, a little openness would be nice IMHO.

How do you announce a figure when you don't know it (see above post). Add-ons could make a difference of £2-3M extra on a transfer.

So announce the low figure and there's criticism about how cheaply you're giving players away, and announce the high figure and there's criticism when it transpires that the actual figure in the end didn't reach that. Even say a range (£4.5M - 6.5M, for instance) and there's general confusion with everyone taking one of the figures as gospel.

Never seemed to stop us in the past with signings like Shorey and Kitson who had additional payments in.

The club could give an indication of the sum, and a realistic one, so as to keep the fans, the heartbeat fo the club, informed and feeling like they're still involved with the club a bit more. If they can't communicate a consistent and reliable figure on their transfer dealings then I think they need to take a look at themselves.

It seems a bit obvious to me that they don't want to disclose the fee's because they think they'll be criticised on them. I don't think that's quite the case though, fans just want to have an idea of what's going on as that's as much what supporting the club is about as watching the 90 minutes 'entertainment' as a match day consumer.

** obviously there would be some that have a bit of a moan here and there but no more than there is anyway.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 17 Oct 2011 11:19

Harpers So Solid Crew most fans are not stupid, .

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 17 Oct 2011 11:54

so as to keep the fans, the heartbeat fo the club, informed and feeling like they're still involved with the club a bit more.

that just sounds really whingy to me.
accounts come out every year,
every year the club/chairman are forced by braying mongers to further explain the finances.

if you look at the statements, and press comments about the price/cost of players at go for somewhere in the middle you wont be far wrong.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 17 Oct 2011 13:08

I largely agree brendy, however, it does seem that many fans are interested in what we get for the players we sell and by not disclosing it the club aren't doing themselves any favours.

It's not a big deal to most, and I'm sure it won't really stop people going, but if it's causing frustration amongst the fan base then the club should really do something about it, even if that something is to explain why they don't.

They want to run themselves as a business. A key part of a good business is their stakeholder engagement. I'd say in this instance the club are lacking.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 17 Oct 2011 13:15

Hoop Blah They want to run themselves as a business. A key part of a good business is their stakeholder engagement. I'd say in this instance the club are lacking.

Just remember though that if a fee is to be disclosed then BOTH have to agree for it to be disclosed. You, and others, are very quick to blame RFC here but there is nothing they can do if the other party want a fee to remain undisclosed. We don't have all the facts but it doesn't stop everyone jumping to conclusions as usual.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 17 Oct 2011 13:18

dont know of any other business that makes statements giving precise details of every purchase made
let alone other football clubs specifically

Svlad Cjelli
Hob Nob Regular
Location: It's the Premier LEAGUE, you cretins. The Premiership hasn't existed for years.

by Svlad Cjelli » 17 Oct 2011 13:19

Wycombe Royal ...... We don't have all the facts but it doesn't stop everyone jumping to conclusions as usual.

Which is probably why the club feel that no information is better than some information.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 17 Oct 2011 14:36

True WR, but I think the trend is for a higher percentage of our deals to be undisclosed than most other clubs. To me that would indicate that we're more likely to be the ones 'hiding' the full picture.

Brendy, most corporations issue PR statements on their big deals and major investments.

For the record, I'm not too fussed about the figures quoted myself. Most of those you read in the papers are approximations that the clubs want to get out there for various reasons (I remember Madejski laughing at the suggestion that Ferdinands deal from Leeds to Man Utd was whatever it was reported to be when he'd heard is was something quite different).

If the industry generally feels that it needs to feed the interest of it's customers with approximate figures for deals then I just think that RFC are just attracting noise and annoying fans for very little reason. If there is a decent reason then they should come out and say so. That way the suspicious minds out there will at least have a reason to moan about!

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 17 Oct 2011 14:39

Harpers So Solid Crew The real question is why do RFC have to be so secretive about how much we buy or sell players for, a little openness would be nice IMHO.

Because they don't want the Reading fans seeing it and issuing dissent. Most other clubs the fans are in power and get what they want, not at Reading though. The chairman rules the roost.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 17 Oct 2011 14:41

Hoop Blah True WR, but I think the trend is for a higher percentage of our deals to be undisclosed than most other clubs. To me that would indicate that we're more likely to be the ones 'hiding' the full picture.

Brendy, most corporations issue PR statements on their big deals and major investments.For the record, I'm not too fussed about the figures quoted myself. Most of those you read in the papers are approximations that the clubs want to get out there for various reasons (I remember Madejski laughing at the suggestion that Ferdinands deal from Leeds to Man Utd was whatever it was reported to be when he'd heard is was something quite different).

If the industry generally feels that it needs to feed the interest of it's customers with approximate figures for deals then I just think that RFC are just attracting noise and annoying fans for very little reason. If there is a decent reason then they should come out and say so. That way the suspicious minds out there will at least have a reason to moan about!

as do we.
i just doubt whether anyone else goes into the exact detail on everything like some are requesting.
and like i said, even if they do, other football clubs dont. most quote the highest possible price including add ons without making those clear, to impress the fans, which leads to confusion when the club dont go out and spend that exact ammount. maybe we all should, but im happy that we get a pretty good overall idea from the press/club

Svlad Cjelli
Hob Nob Regular
Location: It's the Premier LEAGUE, you cretins. The Premiership hasn't existed for years.

by Svlad Cjelli » 17 Oct 2011 14:42

FiNeRaIn Most other clubs the fans are in power and get what they want, not at Reading though.

Please, enlighten me which "most other" clubs these are?

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 17 Oct 2011 14:42

FiNeRaIn

Because they don't want the Reading fans seeing it and issuing dissent. Most other clubs the fans are in power and get what they want, not at Reading though. The chairman rules the roost.

rubbish

apart from the last bit

and a bloody good thing too imo

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 17 Oct 2011 15:26

Hoop Blah True WR, but I think the trend is for a higher percentage of our deals to be undisclosed than most other clubs.

I don't agree with that. Nearly every transfer conducted has the fee "undisclosed".

I think the PLC's are the only ones who disclose their fees regularly and that is because they have no choice.

who are ya?
Hob Nob Regular

by who are ya? » 17 Oct 2011 15:38

Svlad Cjelli
FiNeRaIn Most other clubs the fans are in power and get what they want, not at Reading though.

Blackburn fans have been very successful in getting Steve Kean sacked recently

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 17 Oct 2011 15:50

Who was it who said Long could turn out better than Doyle?

Svlad Cjelli
Hob Nob Regular

by Svlad Cjelli » 17 Oct 2011 15:53

Gordons Cumming Who was it who said Long could turn out better than Doyle?

'Twas I - years and years ago. What I actually said was "Long had the potential to be better" than Doyle.

TFF
Hob Nob Addict

by TFF » 17 Oct 2011 15:59

Gordons Cumming Who was it who said Long could turn out better than Doyle?

Me (though maybe not on here)

Outstanding performance. Only Wolves admittedly but the lad clearly has the ability/determination to succeed at that level. Absolutely chuffed for him.

Just hope it doesn't go to his head.

Lots of praise for Hammond too from Colin. We're lucky to have him.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 17 Oct 2011 16:06

who are ya?
Svlad Cjelli

Blackburn fans have been very successful in getting Steve Kean sacked recently

i dont think fans are the best people to make decisions about their clubs finances, or football issues.
you only have to look around you at our stadium....

who are ya?
Hob Nob Regular

by who are ya? » 17 Oct 2011 16:12

melonhead i dont think fans are the best people to make decisions about their clubs finances, or football issues.

Most of our fans look like they wouldn't know how to behave in a social environment let alone run a football club.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 17 Oct 2011 16:22

who are ya?
melonhead i dont think fans are the best people to make decisions about their clubs finances, or football issues.

Most of our fans look like they wouldn't know how to behave in a social environment let alone run a football club.

Again, I don't think anyones suggesting they make decisions on either, just that as the people that ultimately keep the club going the fans could possibly be afforded a little more insight into what's happening with the club.

Obviously a lot of those fans wouldn't know what to do with the information but that doesn't mean giving it to them wouldn't enhance their feeling of involment in the club and spark some interesting discussion amongst their peers. That's what makes football so adictive to most, the opinion it sparks and the feeling of belonging to the club. It's so much more than watching 11 blokes chase a pigskin bladder blah blah blah....

1376 posts