Videos by stewards

135 posts
STAR Liaison
Hob Nob Regular

Videos by stewards

by STAR Liaison » 20 Oct 2011 20:04

STAR did raise this at the last management meeting (see http://www.star-reading.org for the notes of that meeting) and I understand the use of videos is now either less or less obvious.

However I got very few emails with complaints so this is really to ask if it is better now or if there are still complaints about the level of videoing. I know I will get posts on here but I would ask for emails to info@star-reading.org so that I can use actual complaints when I next go to a management meeting. If I get none I will assume it has been sorted.

Compo's Hat
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Videos by stewards

by Compo's Hat » 20 Oct 2011 21:50

Nope, the videos were out recording fans again on Tuesday.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 21 Oct 2011 16:21

Do they video away fans so they can pass the tape to the other club and the other club can ban any trouble makers?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 21 Oct 2011 18:20

Royal Lady Do they video away fans so they can pass the tape to the other club and the other club can ban any trouble makers?

Videoing home fans is surely as much about being able to identify where they are sitting and therefore their identity from the ticketing and member card database than just getting faces / actions on camera.

How are the other clubs going to match up the faces in our away end to their fans? You don't need to submit your passport to get a ticket. They're unlikely to face face recognition software and videos of their entire stadium when it's full.

They may be able to do something about troublemakers who are known already, but it'd be an absolute nightmare trying to trace someone they don't already know about, who's identity hasn't been obtained, police / stewards here.

Svlad Cjelli
Hob Nob Regular
Location: It's the Premier LEAGUE, you cretins. The Premiership hasn't existed for years.

by Svlad Cjelli » 21 Oct 2011 18:39

Royal Lady Do they video away fans so they can pass the tape to the other club and the other club can ban any trouble makers?

All depends on the extent of data-sharing agreements that the club has. It would be illegal for them to pass such information onto third parties without the appropriate agreement, and as far as I can ascertain Reading FC only have an information sharing agreement with Thames Valley Police.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 21 Oct 2011 19:28

Ian Royal

Videoing home fans is surely as much about being able to identify where they are sitting and therefore their identity from the ticketing and member card database than just getting faces / actions on camera.

How are the other clubs going to match up the faces in our away end to their fans? You don't need to submit your passport to get a ticket. They're unlikely to face face recognition software and videos of their entire stadium when it's full.

They may be able to do something about troublemakers who are known already, but it'd be an absolute nightmare trying to trace someone they don't already know about, who's identity hasn't been obtained, police / stewards here.

:shock:

On that basis, why bother giving the police pictures/videos of any law breakers?!

The other club can issue stewards at the turnstiles with a few pictures/screen shots and just ask them to keep an eye open for offenders trying to get in at future games.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 21 Oct 2011 20:10

Just pointing out it really isn't that easy to film away fans and then pass it on to their clubs to get them bans.

Compo's Hat
Hob Nob Regular

by Compo's Hat » 22 Oct 2011 05:20

Ian Royal

So why is there a cctv camera hanging from the roof then? :|

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by RoyalBlue » 22 Oct 2011 11:26

Ian Royal Just pointing out it really isn't that easy to film away fans and then pass it on to their clubs to get them bans.

It's incredibly easy to do if those other clubs genuinely wanted to take action.

Svlad Cjelli
Hob Nob Regular
Location: It's the Premier LEAGUE, you cretins. The Premiership hasn't existed for years.

by Svlad Cjelli » 22 Oct 2011 13:57

RoyalBlue
Ian Royal Just pointing out it really isn't that easy to film away fans and then pass it on to their clubs to get them bans.

It's incredibly easy to do if those other clubs genuinely wanted to take action.

Can I suggest you read the other posts? Without an information sharing arrangement (which RFC DO NOT HAVE) - it's illegal for the club do do anything like this, easy or otherwise!

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 22 Oct 2011 14:47

Yeah, I'm sorry, I was totally wrong.

It's a piece of piss to take some video, at another ground, of someone causing trouble and then scanning footage of an entire stadium to locate that face among thousands, to then trace them by their seat location and issue a banning order.

That wouldn't take highly sofisticated and probably very expensive software, or hours upon hours of time. And isn't at all reliant on them actually being present at the game you pick or instead needing to do it for several games, at least, to have a chance of finding them.

It's not at all a disproportionate amount of effort to go to, to ban someone who caused some trouble elsewhere, but didn't get nicked.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 23 Oct 2011 16:08

I don't think anyone was suggesting they do all that Ian? If someone is filmed on video by the stewards, and then they "disappear" after a few hand gestures or a bit of posturing or whatever, how do the club trace them? Assuming that they are not sitting in their ST seat or the seat in which they purchased a ticket for. And it does happen btw.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 23 Oct 2011 16:21

Royal Lady I don't think anyone was suggesting they do all that Ian? If someone is filmed on video by the stewards, and then they "disappear" after a few hand gestures or a bit of posturing or whatever, how do the club trace them? Assuming that they are not sitting in their ST seat or the seat in which they purchased a ticket for. And it does happen btw.

Home fans is a totally different issue. In the case of away fans I suspect they don't.

jonboy29red

by jonboy29red » 24 Oct 2011 18:46

so are we saying that use of a hand held video camera is better then the stadium cctv?

Svlad Cjelli
Hob Nob Regular

by Svlad Cjelli » 24 Oct 2011 18:47

jonboy29red so are we saying that use of a hand held video camera is better then the stadium cctv?

"better" for what?

roadrunner
Hob Nob Regular

by roadrunner » 25 Oct 2011 11:22

Svlad Cjelli
jonboy29red so are we saying that use of a hand held video camera is better then the stadium cctv?

"better" for what?

Enraging the home supporters?

Svlad Cjelli
Hob Nob Regular

by Svlad Cjelli » 25 Oct 2011 11:23

roadrunner
Svlad Cjelli

"better" for what?

Enraging the home supporters?

They certainly do that - even the most meek and law-abiding supporter gets inflamed when they have a hand-held camera stuck in their face.

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 25 Oct 2011 13:29

Which makes it rather ironic that stewards won't go into away crowds for "fear of riling them" but are happy to film their own customers to apparently enrage them.

It's really laughable the treatment Reading's limp wristed supporters get compared to their track record for behaviour etc

jonboy29red

by jonboy29red » 25 Oct 2011 19:51

what i ment by my post was are we saying that the cctv in the roof are not worth being there?? seeing as they can print off picture of people off the main cctv system can they do that with the handheld?

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by RoyalBlue » 25 Oct 2011 20:20

Ian Royal Yeah, I'm sorry, I was totally wrong.

It's a piece of piss to take some video, at another ground, of someone causing trouble and then scanning footage of an entire stadium to locate that face among thousands, to then trace them by their seat location and issue a banning order.

That wouldn't take highly sofisticated and probably very expensive software, or hours upon hours of time. And isn't at all reliant on them actually being present at the game you pick or instead needing to do it for several games, at least, to have a chance of finding them.

It's not at all a disproportionate amount of effort to go to, to ban someone who caused some trouble elsewhere, but didn't get nicked.

Pathetic sarcasm during which you demonstrate how little you know about the use of video surveillance technology! It doesn't actually take much at all to put a marker on the recording as it takes place or indeed save a freeze frame. As for scanning the whole stadium, aren't you aware that stewards are able to communicate with the control room and have the CCTV zoom in on trouble makers/troublesome areas. And, of course, hand held surveillance makes that even easier.

Eactly the same principles apply for CCTV surveillance of town centres etc. The CCTV operators look out for trouble, zoom in, record and have the evidence they need. Likewise the police on the ground can request/direct the CCTV to zoom in to where they are in order to record faces etc.

And what are you on about taking a piece of video at another ground? The whole point was that RFC can provide the pictures to the visiting club. Chances are, their police/stewards may already be familiar with some of the faces.

So yes, you were totally wrong.

Svlad Cjelli
RoyalBlue

Can I suggest you read the other posts? Without an information sharing arrangement (which RFC DO NOT HAVE) - it's illegal for the club do do anything like this, easy or otherwise!

Can I suggest you read what I wrote? i.e. 'if the other clubs genuinely wanted to take action.' If both clubs did genuinely want to take action then presumably they are perfectly able to set about putting that arrangement into place thus making it easy to do. Where there is a will there is a way but so often with football, that will is lacking.

135 posts