Back from the game - West Ham

156 posts
Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Back from the game - West Ham

by Snowball » 10 Dec 2011 19:43

I thought we played well all game, INCLUDING the first half, but in that first-half
we just missed out on the killer finish. L-wood was back to his best and when he plays
well, RFC plays well.

I thought West Ham, as individuals showed plenty of quality, but we matched them.

Have to admit, though, when we had managed yet another goalless first half
I had visions of us getting beaten by a "Premiership" quality goal.

In that first half I thought all ten outfield players had excellent games and Hunt-Alfie looked a very good pairing
with Hunt looking leagues better than Church has looked. Two of Alfie's through balls were superb. Class player.

No idea how someone saw Harte being regularly skinned. Thought he was solid today. Both CBs excellent.

Jimmy is getting better each game, almost back to his most exciting best. The socks-thing was total magic!!

Second Half

We got better as the game opened up a bit. I was disappointed when Church came on but joked he'd probably get a tap-in.

First five or so minutes he looked poor, but then he managed (yet again) to be in the right place for his first
then got an excellent second. Shame he fell over when put clean through! Brilliant for the lad, and whatever else
his stats are looking MILES better now.

7.0 Federici Nothing much to do. Looked solid.

8.0 Cummings. Getting better and better. If he keeps improving we will lose him, probably Summer 2013
9.0 Pearce. Really, REALLY solid, good, old-fashioned brick sh!t-house centre-half. Excellent partnership with Gorks.
8.5 Gorks. Hard to fault him and noticed some good interaction with Harte. Should teach Pearcey a lot.
8.0 Harte. Good game, good crosses and corners (except for one dud), nice free-kick. Real class. Better for the team than young Mills.

9.0 L-Wood. Superb game. Amazing player IMO. When he plays well we play well. Excellent mix with Karacan
9.0 Karacan. Different from Elwood, but worked hard, overlapped, almost scored. If he finds a way to score 6 a season...

8.0 McAnuff Solid but unspectacular. One "shot" landed in Earley. Worked hard.
9.5 Kebe Getting back to his best. Can be SO exciting. Just loved the socks moment.

8.5 Hunt Worked like a Trojan and good partner for Alf. Unlucky not to score or make a goal. Great Team Man.
8.5 Le Fondre. Not quite as hard-running, but another great worker. Two brilliant though-balls and yet another assist. Brilliant buy.

9.0 Church. Looked poor for his first ten minutes, but shows the knack of being there and a striker who scores twice in 26 minutes has to get a good score.

?.? HRK Can't remember him doing much.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 10 Dec 2011 19:46

From the computer screen I found us incredibly frustrating first half, with a lack of quality going forward. Too much hoofing, and misplaced passes. No coherant attacking plan with everything seeming a bit improvised, with no real understanding or coordination between the players. Kebe was looking a bit half arsed and Harte looked a weak point.

Saying that we still had a couple of opportunities to score. We were mostly solid at the back as you'd expect these days, with a couple of scares. Ledge looked to be back towards his best.

Second half was a totally different proposition. We came much more alive, had urgency and fluency in attack, helped ably by West Ham utterly falling apart in terms of playing quality and discipline. Kebe, McAnuff and Le Fondre terrorised them. Ledge and Karacan dominated in midfield and our defence looked virtually untroubled. Biggest win of the season, against a team expected to go straight back up. Take it, build on it, and put ourselves ahead of Leeds first half please.

Federici - 7 Not a lot to do, so a seven is about as good as he can get.
Cummings - 8 good link up play and not threatened at the back
Harte - 6.5 piss poor corners, weak in possession and defence compared to the others. Did create another goal though and we weren't punished.
Pearce - 8 solid defensively, the odd wobble but did very well and scored the opener,
Gorkss - 8 In defence it's good to have a solid 7 out of 10 player. In Gorkss we've got a solid 8 out of 10 player. Didn't notice him put a foot wrong.
Karacan - 8 A little lacking first half, but helped Ledge run the show second half.
Leigertwood - 9 Ran midfield, back to his best.
McAnuff - 8 some weaknesses, but he made the opening goal and was too hot for O'Brien to handle
Kebe - 8 a bit half arsed first half, but sparked second and caused problems. Special bonus 10 points for the sock pull. :lol:
Le Fondre - 8 classiest striker we've had since Kitson in his pomp. Shame he didn't get a goal
Hunt - 7 usual bustling irritating, argumentative self. Caused problems.

Church - 8 movement and finding space back towards his best, he finds himself in good spots often, needs to work on his finishing still, but made a bit of progress there.
HRK - game over when he came on so no point rating.

Friday's Legacy
Hob Nob Regular

by Friday's Legacy » 10 Dec 2011 19:56

Tony Le Mesmer So, nobody thinks that Jimmy Kebe was being a disrespectful tosser? He deserved to get done properly , cant wait to see him leave the club personally.

you're right, football stopped being entertainment a long time ago. it should all be about money and half arsed performances. i can't wait for such an entertaining player to naff off and entertain some less deserving fans. merry bloody christmas.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 10 Dec 2011 19:57

Christ, some people need to develop a sense of humour.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 10 Dec 2011 20:06

finbarr Reminded me of a moment in mid 70's when we beat Swindon 4 -1 at Elm Park. On one run John Murray stopped and sat on the ball before resuming his run. I cannot recall anyone trying to break his legs for doing it.

That's because they would have been too scared to try. He was a really hard barsteward - made Friday look soft!

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 10 Dec 2011 20:09

Brian denying any Reading player would take the mickey. :?

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 10 Dec 2011 20:09

Kebe had an excellent game and the timing of his showboating was spot on. He has cost us points this year, that cameo won them back.

Leigertwood was excellent, and back to his loan spell best. We could of scored a whole lot more but also not to lose sight that they missed two sitters IMO.

Onwards and upwards.

Bowman's Quiver

by Bowman's Quiver » 10 Dec 2011 20:17

floyd__streete This was typical of our home games with West Ham really. Once again they turned up full of usual arrogance, played appalingly, behaved worse and their fans - all mouth for the first hour - left in a strop at 2-0. F*ck 'em; morally and financially bankrupt club with a nasty, violent fanbase.

West Ham were the worst side I have seen us play this season, which made our own wasteful and shoddy first half performance even more irritating. We should have led by at least 2 before the red card, they have basically had two men sent off for petulance and Reading took advantage brilliantly. In a largely scrappy game the stand-outs for me were Leigertwood and Karacan.

I can't better that synopsis. The odd thing is that one of their own websites (KUMB) are salivating over their support. I've never seen so many people head for the exits in such numbers 15 minutes before the end of the game before.

http://www.kumb.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=136842

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 10 Dec 2011 20:23

Feds - Didn't have anything to do but did make a very good save at the feet of a Sham player in the first half before he knew the guy was offside. 7

Cummings - Got forward and supported Kebe well. 7
Gorkks - Composed rock at the back. Classy as always. 8
Pearce - Improving more and more. Never been quite sure of him but he's doing well. Strikers finish. 8
Harte - Most disappointing player today Jobi rightly took over set piece duties after He continued to hit the first man. Improved second half. 6

Kebe - Thought today would be the day we saw the mercurial Jimmy. Scared them sh1tless when he ran at them and the sock incident is the sort of entertainment and showmanship that fans want to see when we pay for our tickets. 9
Leigertwood - Ran the midfield and was back to imperious best. 9
Karacan - Did all the things you expect Jem to do and did them very well against to players who've played at PL level. 7
McAnuff- Forgotten man today. Took some very good corners and isolated O'Brien well to force him into a needless challenge. 8

Noel - Busy as always. A pest just like his brother was before Stephen turned into a Prima Donna. 7
ALF - Improved on his hold up play was unlucky not to dip the ball over Green before Churchy got the touch for the second. 8

Church - Deadly from 2 yards again and a very good header. Well done to the birthday boy and hopefully he can kick on and develop from here because despite what his detractors say he's got the raw materials to be a decent player. 8

HRK - Didn't have the opportunity to do much. 6

McD - 100 games as permanent manager and judged today perfectly. Set up Jem and Ledge to stifle Nolan/Noble and got his subs right as well.

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 10 Dec 2011 20:36

finbarr Reminded me of a moment in mid 70's when we beat Swindon 4 -1 at Elm Park. On one run John Murray stopped and sat on the ball before resuming his run. I cannot recall anyone trying to break his legs for doing it.

The same match that was recorded on cassette tape and sold in the "club shop" a few weeks later? Hilarious. I've still got it.

Para Handy

by Para Handy » 10 Dec 2011 20:43

Just in case Chalks or any of the other arrogant bastards on KUMB read this....

West Ham of the 70's (the days of the Big Match, commentated by Brian Moore)... are a different team, and era to the mob you have these days.

In those days, I accept I was still a starstruck kid and Sunday lunch over, I used to love watching Peters, Moore, Hurst, Redknapp, Best, Adie Coker, Pat Holland, etc. Dunno why, it always seemed to be West Ham on the Big Match. The Days of you being the Academy of Football.

In the 80's I went to West Ham quite a few times. Mainly to watch Dalglish play for Liverpool but went to quite a few other games as well. Saw Mickey Droy score the winner for Chelsea against you lot one day. Always an intimidating place to go in the late seventies, early eighties was Upton Park.

However, I've always supported my local club, since the start of the 70's. It amuses me somewhat to see the comments on KUMB, about us being plastics etc. etc. Tinpot stadium etc etc. For a start we were formed about 14 years before you.Yes, we had a shit ground for years (Elm Park). It was an authentic ground tho. A real football ground. Something you boys might remember with nostalgia as you look around your "tinpot, manufactured ground with the massive wide space at the side".

Yes, we have a few problems with plastic announcements.... but I guess we can live with them. You've got to live with plastic Sir Trev... He's nice.... but he's nasty too.

Oh, and on my odd trips to West Ham, when we've been playing you. I've had to listen to where is Reading anwyay... Nice to know we've beaten you more often than you've beaten us. You won the World Cup... of course.. but you're still mockney, arrogant feckers with no class.

Upper West Ginger

by Upper West Ginger » 10 Dec 2011 20:44

The Real Sandhurst Royal Listen to Sam Allardyce interview on the BBC web site.

No blinkers on Sam today he sum ups the Kebe incident and the Collison sending off very well.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/w/west_ham_utd/9659653.stm

Well, Sam Allardyce surprises me by providing a very honest and unbiased opinion of the red cards and sockgate.
He goes up in my estimation.

Zammo
Hob Nob Addict

by Zammo » 10 Dec 2011 20:50

Snowball 7.0 Federici Nothing much to do. Looked solid.

8.0 Cummings. Getting better and better. If he keeps improving we will lose him, probably Summer 2013
9.0 Pearce. Really, REALLY solid, good, old-fashioned brick sh!t-house centre-half. Excellent partnership with Gorks.
8.5 Gorks. Hard to fault him and noticed some good interaction with Harte. Should teach Pearcey a lot.
8.0 Harte. Good game, good crosses and corners (except for one dud), nice free-kick. Real class. Better for the team than young Mills.

9.0 L-Wood. Superb game. Amazing player IMO. When he plays well we play well. Excellent mix with Karacan
9.0 Karacan. Different from Elwood, but worked hard, overlapped, almost scored. If he finds a way to score 6 a season...

9.5 Kebe Getting back to his best. Can be SO exciting. Just loved the socks moment.

8.5 Hunt Worked like a Trojan and good partner for Alf. Unlucky not to score or make a goal. Great Team Man.
8.5 Le Fondre. Not quite as hard-running, but another great worker. Two brilliant though-balls and yet another assist. Brilliant buy.

9.0 Church. Looked poor for his first ten minutes, but shows the knack of being there and a striker who scores twice in 26 minutes has to get a good score.

I have never seen such high individual scores in game where we were gifted the game by the opposition. 3-0 totally flattered us, and I'll go as far as saying this is the most average and dull Reading side in a generation.

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 10 Dec 2011 21:18

Zammo

I have never seen such high individual scores in game where we were gifted the game by the opposition. 3-0 totally flattered us, and I'll go as far as saying this is the most average and dull Reading side in a generation.

Weren't there then?

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 10 Dec 2011 21:23

Considering we were written of by certain "fans" I think those of us who had a bit of faith in the team can be forgiven for slightly overrating the performance.

Zammo
Hob Nob Addict

by Zammo » 10 Dec 2011 21:27

West Stand Man
Zammo

Weren't there then?

:lol:

Yeah, I was there and, funnily enough, I was there a generation ago :roll:

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 10 Dec 2011 21:30

Zammo
:lol:

Yeah, I was there and, funnily enough, I was there a generation ago :roll:

I was giving you the benefit of the doubt. If you seriously believe what you wrote then I have to question your judgement. I suppose it depends on how you define a generation.
Last edited by West Stand Man on 10 Dec 2011 21:42, edited 1 time in total.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 10 Dec 2011 21:34

CAREFUL Zammo

he has a gun you know

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 10 Dec 2011 21:41

So, best RFC win f the season

Worst defeat for WHU...and

Both RFC and Aldershot have beaten WHU, fecking lol.

Pass another beer asr.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 10 Dec 2011 21:43

heyyyyyy!

Just like old times :wink:

filthy glass or straight from the bottle?

and Pardew out

156 posts