Jason Roberts idiot

370 posts
Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Jason Roberts idiot

by Ian Royal » 11 Dec 2011 18:05

melonhead
Hardly! Just reflecting the fact that someone from abroad is less likely to understand the culture and "unwritten rules" that exist within English football than someone brought up within it.

if a rule is worth sheeit, they tend to write it down.

imo

Firstly this rule is bullshit in the first place. Secondly Kebe's been playing here for 4 years. So Dirk's attempt to justify Claridge's idiotic comment are crap. Not that it's worth getting het up about in the first place.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 11 Dec 2011 18:08

Royal Rother
melonhead
Royal Rother But this is all a terribly difficult concept for some, even when explained in very simple terms.

The blatant refusal of some posters to engage brain is almost as embarrassing as Collison's actions yesterday.

we were there, we dont need that bit explaining- clearly JHK mocked west ham slightly with his sock pulling gesture.
what people are questioning is how that in some way explains his mental reaction, or our "understanding" or lack of it, of it

I know that. Fact remains it has been explained by a number of people (including current and ex-players) and you just won't accept it. If they CONDONED it I'd be outraged as well, but they don't.

Hey ho, moving on now.

i never said it was inexplicable
i never said dirk condoned or excused it

i simply questioned whether it was understandable, as he said it was
and in fact went on to say, i flat out dont understand why such a tiny action resulted in such a horrible reaction
:roll:
Last edited by melonhead on 11 Dec 2011 18:11, edited 1 time in total.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 11 Dec 2011 18:11

Svlad Cjelli
ZacNaloen I don't think i'll find it particularly difficult to sneer back either.

The difference between me and Collison?

Sneer is all I'd do.

Well done you. Never ever lost your temper in your whole life? Just sat there in the corner polishing your halo throughout your time?

I've lost my rag loads. I've never lashed out at someone physically when I do it though. At least not since I was 5.

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 11 Dec 2011 18:14

Bandini
Svlad Cjelli

He lost his temper, simple as that. He's a young kid, he was playing crap, his team were getting stuffed -

I have to agree that these explanations - in combination with sockg8 - explain Collison's actions.

Certainly can't disagree that he lost his temper,and that west ham were a bit crap

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 11 Dec 2011 18:18

Ian Royal
Ian Royal
The Real Sandhurst Royal The media are all dicks when it come to incidents like this they put the judges gown and wig on and make stupid comments that are biased one way this time Kebe has taken the brunt of it.

Collison's challenge on Kebe was premeditated and could well have caused significant injury.

Same Allardyce's post match interview sums it up for me, very fair comments all round, maybe the media should take a leaf out of Big Sams book.

Agree with all that except the significant injury bit.

More of a frustrated stud rake IMO. I'm not arguing he couldn't have got injured. Just don't think it was ever likely to be a serious injury.

i know someone who died after being pushed over

plus he never said it was likely- he said it "could"

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 11 Dec 2011 18:27

Nothing better to do right now so I'll "argue" a bit. Even though its all a bit pointless.

"Could well" suggests a degree of reasonable liklihood, IMO. Whereas I think it would be exceptionally unlikely anyone would get a serious injury from that.

Getting a serious injury from falling over, is also spectacularly unlikely in these circumstances, and in which case it wouldn't be from the rake. There really didn't look like there was a great deal of force in the rake, more from the shove, which lets face it, was even less likely to cause a serious injury.

I don't think there was really any serious intent to harm there. Personally I think a two game ban would be sufficient.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 11 Dec 2011 18:30

@RobbieSavage8: That wasn't showboating deserved red silly boy jack !" Professionals should rise above that anyway #sockgate

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 11 Dec 2011 18:33

Only in engLOLish football could this be such a huge issue worthy of national outrage on radio and tv. :roll:

In the rest of the world not a single shit would be given.

Move on.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 11 Dec 2011 18:35

:lol:

IN! for more pointless arguing

its very easy to misjudge a rake down someones shins, if hed caught it wrong, or accidentally straightened his leg, it could ahve been a leg breaker
like when hunty caught his foot in the turf and nearly killed czech

& i may well accept your definition of could well.

The Meaning of "Could Well"
The doctor says "He might well die tomorrow." That is different from saying "He might die tomorrow". The second sentence is, logically speaking, true about anyone. There might be Gricean principles that raise the probability -- why is the doctor saying that? But in "You should say you love him because he might die tomorrow", the phrase could mean just that he, like anyone else, might die tomorrow.

I think the doctor is saying that there is some reason why he might die tomorrow, such as a serious injury. This reason raises the probability above the level of just the background statistical probability. I think there is a second aspect to the meaning, which is that the probability has become worth considering.
"Could/might very well" increases the liklihood of things further,though neither of them would necessarily mean it was very Likely

The Real Sandhurst Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by The Real Sandhurst Royal » 11 Dec 2011 18:38

FiINerAIN wrote:Only in engLOLish football could this be such a huge issue worthy of national outrage on radio and tv.

In the rest of the world not a single shit would be given.

Move on.

That our media for you.....judge, jury and convicted.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 11 Dec 2011 18:55

melonhead :lol:

IN! for more pointless arguing

its very easy to misjudge a rake down someones shins, if hed caught it wrong, or accidentally straightened his leg, it could ahve been a leg breaker
like when hunty caught his foot in the turf and nearly killed czech

& i may well accept your definition of could well.

The Meaning of "Could Well"
The doctor says "He might well die tomorrow." That is different from saying "He might die tomorrow". The second sentence is, logically speaking, true about anyone. There might be Gricean principles that raise the probability -- why is the doctor saying that? But in "You should say you love him because he might die tomorrow", the phrase could mean just that he, like anyone else, might die tomorrow.

I think the doctor is saying that there is some reason why he might die tomorrow, such as a serious injury. This reason raises the probability above the level of just the background statistical probability. I think there is a second aspect to the meaning, which is that the probability has become worth considering.
"Could/might very well" increases the liklihood of things further,though neither of them would necessarily mean it was very Likely

:lol:

Think you've gotta catch someone pretty hard to break their leg when you hit that high up. Side of the knee is another matter. Worst case scenario he oxf*rd up his knee cap (which in itself can be nasty). How about we meet in the middle with a 20% chance of a moderate injury? :wink:

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 11 Dec 2011 19:08

Just for the record I think Dirk has it spot on with this one.

As soon as he did it, mildly amusing as it was, we were just waiting for a West Ham player to lay one on him. Collison taking things into his own hands quite so quickly was a bit of a surprise though.

Also, anyone who is surprised by the ability of a player to lose their temper hasn't been around testosterone filled competitive young men.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 11 Dec 2011 19:14

Ian Royal [

Think you've gotta catch someone pretty hard to break their leg when you hit that high up. Side of the knee is another matter. Worst case scenario he oxf*rd up his knee cap (which in itself can be nasty).

Yet again, Ian Royal shows his BRILLIANT insight.

As well as knowing EVERYTHING about professional football
he's also a fully qualified doctor, a sports physiotherapist
and an orthopaedic surgeon.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 11 Dec 2011 19:20

Just to add something else to this - but I was sat right behind the incident in the East. Prior to the sock pulling up, Kebe had actually gestured to Cummings not to pass him the ball - he did, then the incident happened which caused the furore. It's possible that this wasn't actually a pi$$ take but that Kebe did actually just want to sort his sock out.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 11 Dec 2011 19:24

Stranded Just to add something else to this - but I was sat right behind the incident in the East. Prior to the sock pulling up, Kebe had actually gestured to Cummings not to pass him the ball - he did, then the incident happened which caused the furore. It's possible that this wasn't actually a pi$$ take but that Kebe did actually just want to sort his sock out.

I suppose I could believe that. Certainly not how it looked, tho' Stranded.

(and I'll be very disappointed if it was the truth)

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 11 Dec 2011 19:27

Not saying it's the true answer Snowy, just mentioning that part of the incident which hasn't been mentioned to date and could add a different slant to things.

blindedbythelights

by blindedbythelights » 11 Dec 2011 19:46

Dirk. Earlier.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 11 Dec 2011 19:48

Understood, Stranded.

That's probably the spin the club will put on it.

(I just want it to be a moment I remembered, as "I was there.")

PS I backed the boys to win 3-0 but I had Jimmy for first goal...

Svlad Cjelli
Hob Nob Regular
Location: It's the Premier LEAGUE, you cretins. The Premiership hasn't existed for years.

by Svlad Cjelli » 11 Dec 2011 19:54

I'm confident that anyone who actually reads the point I'm making and doesn't jump to their own conclusions about what I'm posting will understand. If anyone doesn't, I don't really give a flying fuck.

Friday's Legacy
Hob Nob Regular

by Friday's Legacy » 11 Dec 2011 20:07

Svlad Cjelli
ZacNaloen "Oh it's totally unjustifiable BUUUUTTTTT totally understandable cue loads of complete and utter bollocks about fair play in the english game"

Yeh. Whatever Dirk. You're fooling no one.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Whatever you say .... but to me this just underlines why professonal footballers tend to hold supporters in such contempt and laugh at them at every conveivable opportunity.

they do every time they open their latest wage slip and then turn out another mediocre performance. for what we pay, which is a considerable amount to watch games, we're more than entitled to laugh, mock, jeer as much as we like.

370 posts