why do teams we get something from always have off days?

Chaney
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

why do teams we get something from always have off days?

by Chaney » 18 Dec 2011 12:21

I think this deserves its own thread because its something that always gets my back up, we see it from opposing managers, opposing fans...and even our own fans,just look at yesterdays back from the game thread, it can`t be coincidence can it?
is it just the slightest bit possible that our shutting down game doesn`t allow teams to perform to their true abilty?
can someone give us a bit of credit rather than memoaning their own teams shortcomings???

rant mode off

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

Re: why do teams we get something from always have off days?

by Snowball » 18 Dec 2011 12:30

Absolutely right.

Elwood and Karacan in particular break games up and stop
the opposition playing a passing game.

As we have very few if any, players who would suit a Swansea-type
flowing, multi-pass game, a bitty game suits us.

If we had a player on fire like Shane 2010 I think we'd be top two.

chilipepper91
Hob Nob Regular

by chilipepper91 » 18 Dec 2011 12:31

We play a percentage game very effectively.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 18 Dec 2011 12:46

We're little Reading so we have no right to beat the likes of Leeds and West Ham and if we do beat them then they must have had an off day because there's no way they'd lose to the likes of us.

Rex
Hob Nob Addict

by Rex » 18 Dec 2011 14:16

Solid defence, backs against the wall time on occasions against teams who cannot hit a barn door, frustrating the midfield, stunning the opposition with route one and the audacity to come out of the blocks running. :|

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 18 Dec 2011 14:20

The massive inferiority complex of the Reading supporter on display yet again in this thread.

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 18 Dec 2011 14:24

^^^^

We say exactly the same after a defeat, bemoaning our own off days and saying 'we did enough to win the game but blah blah'

Stop worrying about what other people say. If anything you want other managers/the press playing down our achievments as it helps keeps players egos in check and also keeps them out of the public eye.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 18 Dec 2011 14:33

More to do with laughing at the unjustified superiority complex that the likes of West Ham have than any inferiority complex on our behalf.

We're not inferior! We are the equal of these clubs due to the fact we're playing them which is something the fans of these teams fail to understand.
Last edited by sandman on 18 Dec 2011 15:30, edited 2 times in total.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 18 Dec 2011 14:54

Wimb ^^^^

We say exactly the same after a defeat, bemoaning our own off days and saying 'we did enough to win the game but blah blah'

Stop worrying about what other people say. If anything you want other managers/the press playing down our achievments as it helps keeps players egos in check and also keeps them out of the public eye.

^^^^^^^
This.

Rex
Hob Nob Addict

by Rex » 18 Dec 2011 15:02

I personally couldn't give a stuff what other clubs/supporters expect to do on the pitch. The smug warm feeling of walking away from a match after a win does and says it all.
I love that provincial feeling. Woah, that provincial feeling.

Handsome Man
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Practically Rock Paper Scissors Champion of the World

by Handsome Man » 18 Dec 2011 15:11

I think we are playing extremely well in defence and the centre of midfield. It makes it hard for other teams to play against us. The wingers and strikers haven't been quite so hot this year, so we are not top of the league, but we will hold our own against anybody.

rhroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by rhroyal » 18 Dec 2011 16:08

I don't mind it from other fans, but it coming from our own STGs can be extremely annoying. They seem so intent on slagging us off, that anybody we beat must be shit.

At least plastics support their team when they're winning. Some STGs seem determined not even to do that.

If West Ham, Southampton, Leeds etc. all play badly against us, give the boys some credit and allow the rest of the league to buy into the "Little ol' Reading" and underestimate us.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 18 Dec 2011 23:31

rhroyal I don't mind it from other fans, but it coming from our own STGs can be extremely annoying. They seem so intent on slagging us off, that anybody we beat must be shit.

That's because most of them are trying justify their own predictions of "We will struggle this season" or "Without investment we will be mid-table".

So, when we do well, it's not because they were wrong but that other teams are more sh*t than us.

Some of them have been doing this on these pages for 10 years or more :P

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 19 Dec 2011 03:15

It's always the case with the big club bias in the media. I remember last year at Leeds the game was on TV, the whole post match analysis was about Leeds not winning or making it to the play offs. No mention of how well we had done to punch above our weight and finish 5th. Even driving down to Cardiff for the 2nd leg it was all about an all Welsh final on radio 5, I've never been so glad to piss on there Welsh parade. It just seems to be little ole Reading I'm afraid we are not media darlings. We have a polite likable mamager, a respected chairman and our known as a well run family club and this just makes boring copy.

under the tin

by under the tin » 19 Dec 2011 07:47

What actually happens on the pitch is unaffected by the opinions of contributors on a fan forum, or overrated pundits in the media.
This is a mediocre league.
Big name does not equal good team.
Having player confidence, and a winning mentality adds an extra few per cent to any side.
In a league where the margins are so small, this can make all the difference.
In my view, this is borne out by how the newly promoted sides have performed.

LeedsFan

by LeedsFan » 19 Dec 2011 10:08

Can't speak for other teams but we (Leeds) have been going through a bad patch lately anyway, we were terrible v Watford and the week before and in the first half v Milwall too but you were excellent defensively and that could have something to do with it but I think it's always nature to look at what your team is doing wrong rarther than what the other team did right.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 19 Dec 2011 11:03

Woodcote Royal
rhroyal I don't mind it from other fans, but it coming from our own STGs can be extremely annoying. They seem so intent on slagging us off, that anybody we beat must be shit.

That's because most of them are trying justify their own predictions of "We will struggle this season" or "Without investment we will be mid-table".

So, when we do well, it's not because they were wrong but that other teams are more sh*t than us.

Some of them have been doing this on these pages for 10 years or more :P

I can't disagree with any of this. I guess I am in the STG ranks. But are the STG's so vocal because the RTGs sound like a propaganda machine praising everything the club does? I also wonder how much older the STGs are compared to the RTGs. I would hazard a guess and say that the bulk of STGs started following the club around the 94/95 season whereas the grumpy old gits, me included, date back to pre decimal days.

who are ya?
Hob Nob Regular

by who are ya? » 19 Dec 2011 11:18

I'm struggling to see why this would actually bother anyone.

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 19 Dec 2011 11:23

The STG's and the RTG's are both a bunch of c/nts provoking the other into vomiting out larger fountains of bullshit.

I'm sick of the reference, to be honest. I'd rather stick 'em both into one category, and just call them 'F//king Bores'.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 19 Dec 2011 11:43

Extended-Phenotype The STG's and the RTG's are both a bunch of c/nts provoking the other into vomiting out larger fountains of bullshit.

I'm sick of the reference, to be honest. I'd rather stick 'em both into one category, and just call them 'F//king Bores'.

I agree with this as well :lol: