Thames Sports Investment

5145 posts
MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Thames Sports Investment

by MmmMonsterMunch » 21 Jan 2012 18:08

I think number 1 on Brian's list should be Nicky Maynard if we do go after a striker.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 21 Jan 2012 18:09

MmmMonsterMunch Brian sounded very negative in that interview. I don't see how you can think otherwise. Yes we'd just been beaten, but that's happened plenty of times before & he's never sounded like that.

People are somewhat deluded if they think these new owners, having bought a majority shareholding will not start interfering.

Worried. :(

If interfering means splashing the cash rather than cutting cloth then they can interfere as much as they want!

Ups and Downs
Hob Nob Regular
Location: the piss artist not formerly known as scutterbucket

by Ups and Downs » 21 Jan 2012 18:10

It would only be worthwhile for an investment company of any kind to be involved in a Premiership team, so although it wasn't mentioned in that statement, it has to be their No.1 aim. And they'll want to do it soon. Can anyone say with any conviction that they truly believe that was Madejski's No.1 aim?

The only issue is, I should imagine they will want that to happen soon, within this season or next. And i would imagine that if it's not on the cards by Christmas 2012 then they'll have Brian out the door, which would not sit well with me at all.

Also, it's hard to see a consortium like this sticking around for years. I know Sunderland have done well by theirs, but when these chaps move on I doubt they'll have the same criteria thats seen Madejski hold onto the club for the past 5 years when he's wanted to sell. Best not to worry about that now though.

1871 Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by 1871 Royal » 21 Jan 2012 18:10

MmmMonsterMunch I think number 1 on Brian's list should be Jordan Rhodes if we do go after a striker.

Corrected for you.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 21 Jan 2012 18:12

MmmMonsterMunch Brian sounded very negative in that interview. I don't see how you can think otherwise. Yes we'd just been beaten, but that's happened plenty of times before & he's never sounded like that.

People are somewhat deluded if they think these new owners, having bought a majority shareholding will not start interfering.

Funny. He did a very passable impression of it after the equally disappointing Watford home defeat earlier on in the season.

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 21 Jan 2012 18:12

paultheroyal

If interfering means splashing the cash rather than cutting cloth then they can interfere as much as they want!

And what happens when Brian buys a couple of players & we miss out on promotion? Will they be calling for his head? Will the fans start expecting too much?

Funny how all JM's businesses have gone to pot & he is suddenly now able to find an investor yet couldn't find one when we got promoted..

Big Ern
Hob Nob Regular

by Big Ern » 21 Jan 2012 18:13

1871 Royal
MmmMonsterMunch I think number 1 on Brian's list should be Robbie Fowler if we do go after a striker.

Corrected for you.

Corrected for you both.

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 21 Jan 2012 18:14

1871 Royal
MmmMonsterMunch I think number 1 on Brian's list should be Jordan Rhodes if we do go after a striker.

Corrected for you.

We won't get Rhodes though. Lots of PL clubs are after him. Maynard is realistic, shouldn't cost loads & he is local.

Friday's Legacy
Hob Nob Regular

by Friday's Legacy » 21 Jan 2012 18:15

meridian tonight have said that no further announcement will be made by the club until everything is signed in march.

under the tin

by under the tin » 21 Jan 2012 18:17

RoyalBlue For a long time some of us have been saying that we can't keep selling our best players and that if we did we would only go one way.

The Madjeski followers jumped on us, accused us of high treason and told us we were completely wrong.

Well guess what - freed of the shackles, McDermott has just spoken out. Amongst the things he said were:

'You can't keep selling your best players. If you do, you will only go in one direction.'

'All I ever wanted was to be allowed to keep my best players.'

'I am sure that if we had been in a position to keep Shane Long last year, he would have stayed because of my relationship with him and if Shane Long had still been with us, where do you think we would have been now.'

But, Brian, you must be wrong because the Madejski fan club have said so.

Exactly. These are the words of a man who chooses them very carefully.
I seem to remember he made the inference "under the current regime" only a few days ago.
"All I ever wanted was to be allowed to keep my best players"
He is now clearly inferring that he will be able to do his job without one hand tied behind his back.
I'm willing to bet that Brian was kicking Gylfi's arse out of Hogwood. :lol:

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 21 Jan 2012 18:17

MmmMonsterMunch
paultheroyal

And what happens when Brian buys a couple of players & we miss out on promotion? Will they be calling for his head? Will the fans start expecting too much?

Funny how all JM's businesses have gone to pot & he is suddenly now able to find an investor yet couldn't find one when we got promoted..

As long as we go close fans will stick for Brian for sure, investors will want a return so depends if they are in for the long haul.

We have been crying out for this, for years the majority has been the dross served up today.

Excited, yes.
Embrace it, hell yeah!

moo
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by moo » 21 Jan 2012 18:17

Friday's Legacy meridian tonight have said that no further announcement will be made by the club until everything is signed in march.

Uncertainty is great for a club. Why couldnt they spend a bit of cash in this window and kept it quiet until post season ?

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 21 Jan 2012 18:19

Ideal
paultheroyal
floyd__streete Tbh, if 'prudence' is Reading 0-1 Hull in an abysmally poor spectacle like that then give me investment any day of the week. These newbies might p*ss a bit of money up the wall and give us some exciting players worth watching and some entertainment value at last. If we can bring in some new players before the end of the window and boot out some of the absolute dross we see week-in week-out then it's a big IN from me.

Never thought I would say this but +1

LOL. Pissing yourself to keep warm is something that only works short term.

All else fails we will just go back to the Reading way! Money is coming in, let's enjoy!

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 21 Jan 2012 18:20

MmmMonsterMunch I think number 1 on Brian's list should be Nicky Maynard if we do go after a striker.

No thanks, don't think he would be the 'right' striker to play alongside hunt/alfie

Friday's Legacy
Hob Nob Regular

by Friday's Legacy » 21 Jan 2012 18:23

moo
Friday's Legacy meridian tonight have said that no further announcement will be made by the club until everything is signed in march.

Uncertainty is great for a club. Why couldnt they spend a bit of cash in this window and kept it quiet until post season ?

i can't see any uncertainty. there's a new investor, he's putting some money in now and no doubt more in the summer. the club, players and fans know the management team are safe, so it's business as usual but with a couple of quid to use this transfer window. everything will be tied up in march.

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 21 Jan 2012 18:25

loyalroyal4life
MmmMonsterMunch I think number 1 on Brian's list should be Nicky Maynard if we do go after a striker.

No thanks, don't think he would be the 'right' striker to play alongside hunt/alfie

Who cares?? He'd instantly be the best striker at the club. By quite some distance.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 21 Jan 2012 18:26

Sorry but if he was all happy and dandy after losing to a play-off rival then I'd be pretty pissed tbh.

It's not his place to get all giddy just at the thought of spending a bit of money, that's our job as fans, his is to make sure that whichever team he puts out there puts in a good performance.

He failed at that today, hence why he's probably feeling a little down.

This is the worst thing about times like these, everyone suddenly decides they're a clinical psychologist and make generalised comments based on a tone they picked up over the radio.

under the tin

by under the tin » 21 Jan 2012 18:27

Friday's Legacy
moo

i can't see any uncertainty. there's a new investor, he's putting some money in now and no doubt more in the summer. the club, players and fans know the management team are safe, so it's business as usual but with a couple of quid to use this transfer window. everything will be tied up in march.

Totally agree.
Particularly like the thought of being tied up, but doubt if the missus will wait till march........... :wink:

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 21 Jan 2012 18:27

Roman pavlyuchenko is a name I was hearing in the concourse earlier today. Apparently a close friend of the new investor, possible loan deal in the pipeline. Would welcome this. Him and Rhodes up front with bertrand left back and a creative centre mid would do nicely in this window.

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 21 Jan 2012 18:29

Friday's Legacy
moo

How do you know the management team are safe? Of course they will say all the right things initially to get the fans onside but its just talk at the end of the day. BM sounds rather uncomfortable at the minute.

Serious question though? What's in it for them? If they can't make money (which we all know they can't), then they will at the very least want a large say in how the club is run & the staff we have won't they?

You honestly think they've come in just to write cheques out? If it sounds too good to be true it usually is I'm afraid.

We will see I guess.

5145 posts