Thames Sports Investment

5145 posts
Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Thames Sports Investment

by Ian Royal » 21 Jan 2012 20:28

Which isn't just buying success. The satisfaction in succeeding is having done so from a relatively level playing field, not by having a sugar daddy who pumps in tens of millions more than the majority of the rest.

Friday's Legacy
Hob Nob Regular

by Friday's Legacy » 21 Jan 2012 20:32

Ian Royal Which isn't just buying success. The satisfaction in succeeding is having done so from a relatively level playing field, not by having a sugar daddy who pumps in tens of millions more than the majority of the rest.

when john madejski took over, and for many years after and to the current date, many clubs around us look at us just like that. he came in as this multi millionaire, he saved us, bankrolled us, and look where we are now as a result. not all that long ago we were struggling with the likes of bury, walsall, wycombe, etc and there wasn't all that much different between us in club size. one man changed that. now a new man has come in and will once again begin a new era with us, and other clubs around us now will say the same.

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 21 Jan 2012 20:33

Ian Royal Which isn't just buying success. The satisfaction in succeeding is having done so from a relatively level playing field, not by having a sugar daddy who pumps in tens of millions more than the majority of the rest.

how do you think anyone gets successful without money Ian?

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 21 Jan 2012 20:33

Last time we got promoted it's because Madejski was supporting the club to the tune of 6 million a season. We could do this then, Madejski had the money. It was because of Madejsks money and management of the club we got promoted. The policies of that last few years I am fully behind, because it is not in the clubs interests to build up debts to the banks so players had to be sold to support our wages (wages that needed to be that high to keep the club at this level)

Madejski is now seeing the return on his investment and a new group with hopefully deep pockets are coming in to try and do what Madejski suceeding in doing before. Maybe this time they have the pockets to keep us there too.

Hopefully now we can go back to the way things were 6 years ago and build a squad that we can keep together.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 21 Jan 2012 20:36

And we are not going to get that, so you can stop sodding worrying about 'cheating' or buying success.

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 21 Jan 2012 20:36

On the surface, this news has to be seen as a qualified positive; positive, because it means an injection of investment into the club which has to be welcomed, but qualified, because of the unknowns and the uncertainty.

However, SJM has the best intentions for the club at all times and so if he trusts this organisation, I see no reason - not knowing anything about these people - not to trust SJM's judgement.

Time will tell of course, but if the statement issued earlier today is anything to go by (saying the current management team are safe, that there will be a continuation of investment in the Academy and there will be some funds available for new players this transfer window) it appears that we may well be entering an interesting phase in our clubs history.....

Friday's Legacy
Hob Nob Regular

by Friday's Legacy » 21 Jan 2012 20:38

"I've got some licence to do something in January but it won't be fantasy football, there's no way that'll be the case. If I see something that makes a difference I'll do it, no doubt about it. How much of a difference it makes will always depend on games and how people gel.

"I've got the option to do something, I've never had that option before. The most important thing before was being worried each summer, looking over my shoulder about losing players. It's always been difficult to manage in that situation.

"We've always run things a certain way, the football side is run a certain way, Nick Hammond has done a fantastic job as Director of Football, we work really well together."

another words, please ignore finerain and is repetitive nonsense about big premiership signings.

Mr Cinema

by Mr Cinema » 21 Jan 2012 20:39

Yeah that shiny new stadium in Whitley was bought and paid for by the blood sweat and toil of the 3000 that used to visit Elm Park before Madejski came along to teach us all about morality.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 21 Jan 2012 20:40

FiNeRaIn

I think you've failed to understand.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 21 Jan 2012 20:45

Mr Cinema

Yeah that shiny new stadium in Whitley was bought and paid for by the blood sweat and toil of the 3000 that used to visit Elm Park before Madejski came along to teach us all about morality.

Yep, I reckon you could call that buying success with quite a few million pumped in. I seem to remenber plenty of supporters of our peer clubs at the time complaining about us buying success. We were just doing it a different level in the league structure.
Last edited by RoyalBlue on 21 Jan 2012 20:46, edited 1 time in total.

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 21 Jan 2012 20:46

Ian Royal
FiNeRaIn

Possibly, because you aren't being very clear with your reactionary over the top posts.

We haven't got some ridiculous sugar daddy and there is no signs of us investing tens of millions. Even if so, I wouldn't care...you need to spend to compete. Doing things with morals in football doesn't work. So this may be the wrong sport for you these days.

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 21 Jan 2012 20:47

Ian Royal
Royal With Cheese
Ian Royal Part of the reason I support Reading is because of our integrity.

Just one question Ian, when you started supporting Reading - how did you work this integrity stuff out?

FTR I've not been so excited since I worked out what my todger was for.

Part of the reason I continue to support Reading. It makes me love the club much more.

1. That wasn't what you originally posted and
2. In that case why don't to go and support FC United?

I would suggest if you want integrity in sport - football is not for you.

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 21 Jan 2012 20:55

Ok come on then....lets play fantasy transfer shopping. Championship & below players only to make it realistic.

I'll start with Maynard & Burke.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 21 Jan 2012 20:58

FiNeRaIn
Ian Royal
FiNeRaIn how do you think anyone gets successful without money Ian?

Possibly, because you aren't being very clear with your reactionary over the top posts.

We haven't got some ridiculous sugar daddy and there is no signs of us investing tens of millions. Even if so, I wouldn't care...you need to spend to compete. Doing things with morals in football doesn't work. So this may be the wrong sport for you these days.

I never said we did. And thanks for confirming the view which I took issue with.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 21 Jan 2012 21:00

Royal With Cheese
Ian Royal
Royal With Cheese Just one question Ian, when you started supporting Reading - how did you work this integrity stuff out?

FTR I've not been so excited since I worked out what my todger was for.

Part of the reason I continue to support Reading. It makes me love the club much more.

1. That wasn't what you originally posted and
2. In that case why don't to go and support FC United?

I would suggest if you want integrity in sport - football is not for you.

1) it also doesn't contradict what I originally posted in the slightest, it merely clarifies in response to your question.
2) Because I support Reading and see also the bit where I said "part".

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 21 Jan 2012 21:02

An exciting thread has turned duller than dull.

friday fan

by friday fan » 21 Jan 2012 21:05

over the last 3 seasons I have been one of those who have posted saying that sir JM has had his time and selling is foolish, accepting pro JM posters who at times have been so abusive. I welcome the new ownership and like anything in life a new direction has been found. SJM has said he'd wait until a new and acceptable buyer entered the arena and now one has, acceptable to SJM otherwise he wouldn't have sold 51%. We hopefully will have a platform to build from and money available but no silly signings please.The one thing I am glad about is being able to see Brian build a team with proper money being made available -we are hovering on the play off positions and a proven striker is/should be top of the list. Next thing I would say if i were Brian is to Kebe, sign a contract or oxford off as Kebe has seemed to hold the club to ransom recently. As for past mercenaries and i won't name them then perhaps they will watch in regret while a new era dawns for RFC.

For ever a Royal and looking forward to the new era.

PS pro SJM fans who I assume are the negative posters on this thread advice is embrace this and give as much support to the new owners as you did in defending SJM, lets become united Royals and want the best for our club

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 21 Jan 2012 21:14

friday fan over the last 3 seasons I have been one of those who have posted saying that sir JM has had his time and selling is foolish, accepting pro JM posters who at times have been so abusive. I welcome the new ownership and like anything in life a new direction has been found. SJM has said he'd wait until a new and acceptable buyer entered the arena and now one has, acceptable to SJM otherwise he wouldn't have sold 51%. We hopefully will have a platform to build from and money available but no silly signings please.The one thing I am glad about is being able to see Brian build a team with proper money being made available -we are hovering on the play off positions and a proven striker is/should be top of the list. Next thing I would say if i were Brian is to Kebe, sign a contract or oxford off as Kebe has seemed to hold the club to ransom recently. As for past mercenaries and i won't name them then perhaps they will watch in regret while a new era dawns for RFC.

For ever a Royal and looking forward to the new era.

PS pro SJM fans who I assume are the negative posters on this thread advice is embrace this and give as much support to the new owners as you did in defending SJM, lets become united Royals and want the best for our club

Agree about Kebe. Personally I think BM should tell him to do one.

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 21 Jan 2012 21:15

I just wonder...is the "investment" another set of "interest free loans"? (Like SJM's - "thanks" Sir John, by the way.)

Because if it is, we'll be up shit creek when it all goes wrong.

LoyalRoyal22
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyal22 » 21 Jan 2012 21:17

I am really exicted about this. I love the way the club has been run, we are a special club. If we can keep simliar good atmosphere at the club and keep Sir John, Nicky Hammmond and Brian all involved, as well as improving the academy and giving youth a chance, all good in my opinion.

We are like 2 quality players away from the premier league, if they got us a top striker Nicky Maynard for example, and a midfield with some creativity, Peter Whittingham for example, we already have the base of a good team, we would get promoted in my opinion.

5145 posts