Thames Sports Investment

5145 posts
Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Thames Sports Investment

by Ian Royal » 22 Jan 2012 16:21

Yeah, all the indignation at alleged £80m price tags is looking pretty stupid now.

Based on the information we have, limited as it is, either the £80m price tag has been accepted, meaning it wasn't ridiculously high, or it was only that high whilst we were Premier League and they were complaining about something that wasn't reality since we've been back in the Chump.

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 22 Jan 2012 16:27

royalp-we
Uke Kebe, McAnuff, Leigertwood, Robson-Kanu, Manset, Cummings, Baseya, Antonio, Bignall, Walcott and others must really be looking forward to those exhibition matches in our Russian pre-season tours...

:shock:

Bikey has fond memories of his time in Russia too
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 567053.stm

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 22 Jan 2012 16:29

Remember the majority of you said, if big investment comes to the club and you 'buy' success, you won't support Reading anymore?

I'll watch this space.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 22 Jan 2012 16:30

indeed- looks to me from the stuff in the press like it "could go to 40 million" which means that is the price on the whole club, and theyve spent 20 million now on 51 %
which would mean that not only has SJM spent the last 22 years working without salary, not taking profits from the club, but he sold at a price which only gets him the money hes spent back

Ark Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Ark Royal » 22 Jan 2012 16:30

I have to say that after initial scepticism, I was greatly encouraged by Madejski's latest statement.

I was desperately hanging on to the thought that he would never, ever do anything to jeopardize the club, but after seeing car-crash takeovers at other clubs, the fear was this was going to be a big slice of toast that was going to land butter-side down. Felt a lot more reassured after reading that.

It will be interesting to see exactly how much Brian will have to spend in the remaining days of the window; it may give us a little glimpse of what is to come.

Libertine
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Connecticut...aka "The Fifth Ring of Hell" & Prediction League Champion 2015/2016

by Libertine » 22 Jan 2012 16:32

I have to echo what many have said on this thread. Fair play to SJM. He said he wanted to sell, he said he wanted to sell up and wouldn't sell unless the owners were much wealthier than him, then he did it. He took us from the lower level of the leagues up to the PL. He has the club on solid financial footing with us still vying for promotion season in and season out. And now we are on the verge of having an ownership group which will allow us to hold onto our better talent and make investments to the squad where holes appear. He is a man of his word which is not only rare in professional sports but in the world in general.

SJM is da man!!!

dogzbollox

by dogzbollox » 22 Jan 2012 16:34

Royal Lady I'm happy to say I was wrong in being so cautious, in 2 years' time. In the meantime, until the deal is signed - I'll be wary - yesterday's game couldn't have done much to persuade the new investors that they're doing the right thing and won't have to spend much money to get us into the PL!

However, I would ask that we try and get Doyle on loan (he's on the bench at Wolves so they might let him back!) - with a view to signing him at end of season if Wolves don't want him and also that we make approaches to Hoffenheim now to enquire as to whether we could get Siggy back. Plus try and get Bertrand and that would do me for now. :wink:

The man said onwards & upwards not backwards.......

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 22 Jan 2012 16:42

I wouldn't call that backwards. I'd call it prudent purchasing - no need to bed them in as such. Sure, there's a few new faces here since they all moved on, but they know the manager and the back room staff and they know the RFC "way".

dogzbollox

by dogzbollox » 22 Jan 2012 16:47

Ok so it might not be totally backwards for the club - but it would for them, they are PL/Bundesliga players afterall, career-wise I'm talking about

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 22 Jan 2012 16:51

No Fixed Abode Remember the majority of you said, if big investment comes to the club and you 'buy' success, you won't support Reading anymore?

I'll watch this space.

Quotes or it never happened. :|

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 22 Jan 2012 16:52

No Fixed Abode I'll watch this space.

No change there then.

leicsRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by leicsRoyal » 22 Jan 2012 16:52

Fair play to SJM.

He's had so much criticism for not taking the club as far as some fans would like. He took us from the run down Elm Park to a 24,000+ all seater stadium, from a team that was lucky to spend time above the bottom two divisions to the premier league.
He realised his dream and got the town noticed with a top division football club but his dream turned sour when he realised the ludicrous money required to stay in the premier league.

SJM has always said that he would only sell to the investor that could take this club further than he can, I wonder how many offers he has turned down so far for the good of RFC.

He now seems that he has finally found that investor and the delight is apparent in his words. Fingers crossed it will all pan out as he wants.

Exciting times.

BonBoh

by BonBoh » 22 Jan 2012 16:57

Not happy about the demise of my club

http://www.rumafia.com/person.php?id=204

This is a profile of Anton Zingarevich's father, Boris. Our club will be used to conceal illicit money. When they've had their fill, they will take what they want and we'll end up like Pompey.

Anyone fancy another 'car park' style petition, only this time to keep our club, not our manager?

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 22 Jan 2012 16:57

I'm surprised no one's discussing the expansion of the Mad Stad yet.

TFF
Hob Nob Addict

by TFF » 22 Jan 2012 17:03

BonBoh Not happy about the demise of my club

This is a profile of Anton Zingarevich's father, Boris. Our club will be used to conceal illicit money. When they've had their fill, they will take what they want and we'll end up like Pompey.

Anyone fancy another 'car park' style petition, only this time to keep our club, not our manager?

Of course, you're quite right.

If only someone had linked to that article earlier in the thread.

under the tin

by under the tin » 22 Jan 2012 17:03

tomrfcurz
georgerob If Jason Roberts does come in on loan I think it will take him a while to make an impact as he has not played many games in the last year.
I think with the limited funds available to McDermott in this transfer window maybe his main priority will be to use these funds to ensure Kebe stays first.

Kebe has already received an (i would've thought) improved offer, as McD confirmed yesterday. He has a transfer budget on top of this to strengthen the squad it would seem

Which puts our Jimmy in a bit of a quandary.
His bargaining position has been undermined as a direct result of the new money arriving.
Whereas, under the previous regime he knew he was a leading light within the first team at a (relatively) poor football club, the new money arriving makes it eminently possible for the club to buy a replacement, should the player decide to try to stick out for an improved offer.
Jimmy Kebe (can be) very good, but the days of "we have to work with what we've got" (McDermott) seem to be behind us.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 22 Jan 2012 17:03

So your accusing this man of having links with the Russian Mafia and you want to antagonise him. Clever.
Last edited by sandman on 22 Jan 2012 17:05, edited 1 time in total.

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 22 Jan 2012 17:04

Have you actually read that?

Summary:

The Zingarevich brothers own Ilim Pulp, a major player in the Russian timber industry. Various people involved in the Russian timber industry have been beaten, kidnapped, had their buildings burned, etc. It's possible that the Zingareviches may have been involved.... because they are in the industry.

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 22 Jan 2012 17:06

Not particuarly bothered if he's Mafia, its not the same in Russia as it is in the US....its much more common. We aren't talking about the Gambino's here.

If a couple of local business competitors in Moscow get whacked and it results in us buying a good striker and creative midfielder...im not particularly arsed.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 22 Jan 2012 17:08

Yes.. But then it clearly goes on to state in the article that the Zingarevich brothers are looking to acquire a football club in Berkshire with a view to destroying it.

5145 posts