Thames Sports Investment

5145 posts
wolsey
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Wishing I was young enough and crass enough to care

Re: Thames Sports Investment

by wolsey » 23 Jan 2012 11:26

ZacNaloen Although Reading between the lines, Mcdermott has until the end of next season to get us promoted

Which lines?

roadrunner
Hob Nob Regular

by roadrunner » 23 Jan 2012 11:27

Again SJM calms some nerves. Nothing can be certain but at the moment with what we do know you just have to relax and take it all in.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 23 Jan 2012 11:28

ZacNaloen Although Reading between the lines, Mcdermott has until the end of next season to get us promoted

So now we've got a bit more clarification you're just going to make shit up?

Bandini
Hob Nob Regular
Location: No one must know I dropped my glasses in the toilet.

by Bandini » 23 Jan 2012 11:28

wolsey

Which lines?

"help Reading get into the Premier League at the earliest possible moment. If it doesn't happen this season possibly it'll happen next season, but all they're trying to do is enable the manager to have the tools at his disposal in order to do that. "

zac's putting the argument at it's strongest, but this does suggest that they have a definite timetable for their aspirations. Perhaps this fits in the the time period for the exercise of their option over the remaining shares.

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 23 Jan 2012 11:29

They are keen to help Reading get into the Premier League at the earliest possible moment. If it doesn't happen this season possibly it'll happen next season, but all they're trying to do is enable the manager to have the tools at his disposal in order to do that.

What if it doesn't happen next season?

Just trying to temper the thread with a little negativity Brendy! :lol:
Last edited by ZacNaloen on 23 Jan 2012 11:30, edited 1 time in total.

79Royal

by 79Royal » 23 Jan 2012 11:29

That possibly not a bad thing though, is it? If McDermott only has another 18 months, then maybe he'll be more inclined to push for the players he wants. So far he's probably not bothered too much, because he knows the answer. Now his voice carries more weight because the old 'we have no money to spend' reasoning is less valid.

Brian strikes me as the sort of person who thrives under pressure. The pressures will be different if the deal goes through, but I'd back him to step up and be a success.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 23 Jan 2012 11:30

if it doesnt happen this season, it could possibly happen next season means theyll be getting rid of macdermott if he doesnt do it by then?

lol

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 23 Jan 2012 11:30

ZacNaloen
They are keen to help Reading get into the Premier League at the earliest possible moment. If it doesn't happen this season possibly it'll happen next season, but all they're trying to do is enable the manager to have the tools at his disposal in order to do that.

What if it doesn't happen next season?

Just trying to temper the thread with a little negativity Brendy! :lol:

neagativity shmegativity

where has negativity ever got anyone?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 23 Jan 2012 11:32

melonhead if you read stuff that isnt there or even implied between the lines. yes.

It's certainly a possibility. I'd like to think he'd get another year on top of that, but it really will depend on how close he can take us if not actually up.

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 23 Jan 2012 11:32

Silver Fox

So now we've got a bit more clarification you're just going to make shit up?

TBF that was exactly the interpretation I put on it.

wolsey
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Wishing I was young enough and crass enough to care

by wolsey » 23 Jan 2012 11:33

Bandini
wolsey

Which lines?

"help Reading get into the Premier League at the earliest possible moment. If it doesn't happen this season possibly it'll happen next season, but all they're trying to do is enable the manager to have the tools at his disposal in order to do that. "

zac's putting the argument at it's strongest, but this does suggest that they have a definite timetable for their aspirations. Perhaps this fits in the the time period for the exercise of their option over the remaining shares.

Totally reasonable approach and comment then.

(Didnt help that I read it as "Until the end of the season" - must concentrate more and not let work get in the way)

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 23 Jan 2012 11:33

anything is possible

but reading between the lines means there should be something implied but not said in the original quote.and that isnt anywhere near the case.
reading between lines isnt just making stuff up.

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 23 Jan 2012 11:34

Yeh Brendy if we finished third on goal difference and then things fall apart in the play-offs as the moral is destroyed after a long hard season you'd like to think he'd get given another crack of the whip.

Bandini
Hob Nob Regular
Location: No one must know I dropped my glasses in the toilet.

by Bandini » 23 Jan 2012 11:35

melonhead anything is possible

but reading between the lines means there should be something implied but not said in the original quote.and that isnt anywhere near the case.
reading between lines isnt just making stuff up.

SJM's reference to either this season or next season presumably comes from somewhere.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 23 Jan 2012 11:37

Reading between the lines it says that the new owners haven't come in and demanded immediate promotion this year

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 23 Jan 2012 11:38

Given his track record with bugger all resource I should imagine Heston will get at least another 18 months as manager.

mr_number
Hob Nob Regular

by mr_number » 23 Jan 2012 11:38

I think that's reading a lot between the lines. SJM's too careful with words to say something that sounds like a promise we will get promoted; he's just trying to temper expectations but make it clear that the ambition is to get into the Premier League. I'm fairly shocked that people would already talk about getting rid of Brian - he has been absolutely superb so far, and aside from losing one rather large game, can't be faulted.

Also, re SJM not having any power as chairman: people do realise that the chairmen of most companies don't actually own the whole company?

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 23 Jan 2012 11:39

Reading between the lines, if we don't get promotion this season or next season, TSI won't be interested in buying up the rest of the shares....

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 23 Jan 2012 11:39

Talk about extrapolating something from nothing, jeez.

The Rouge
Hob Nob Regular

by The Rouge » 23 Jan 2012 11:41

Thanks folks. The comments of many of you in this thread has boosted my ranking as a poster.

5145 posts