Academy Status

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

Re: Academy Status

by ZacNaloen » 25 Jan 2012 17:49

His heirs took over, nothing strange at all

Deadlock
Hob Nob Regular
Location: There's nothing of value there and the people make very poor slaves.

by Deadlock » 25 Jan 2012 20:41

ZacNaloen
FiNeRaIn when prem clubs can take them for 50k anyway now, who cares? lol

As I understood it, if we have a cat A academy they won't be able to poach our players for 50k?

They'll be able to poach them, they'll just have to pay the top rate.

Compensation Fees for each year of development:
Age 9 to 11 – £3000 for players registered at any club
Age 12 to 16 – £12,500 for players registered at a Category 3 club
Age 12 to 16 – £25,000 for players registered at a Category 2 club
Age 12 to 16 – £40,000 for players registered at a Category 1 club

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 25 Jan 2012 21:13

So not even 40k? Lovely stuff. Complete waste IMO. Anyone who looks top draw at a young age will get poached by the prem. Utterly diabolical this went through and completely anti-football.

Tinrib

by Tinrib » 25 Jan 2012 21:18

William Oddie Clubs with category one status will have programmes that vastly increase the contact time with young players, with the aim of ensuring the most-talented youngsters have the best opportunity to fulfil their potential.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/15381652.stm

basically all you need to no in the BBC article

In true HNA stylee, welcome to the board, and feck off newbie..

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 25 Jan 2012 21:24

A big BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO to this thread. Bothered about the academy when there are marquee signings like Jason Roberts to discuss.

William Oddie

by William Oddie » 25 Jan 2012 22:03

Tinrib
William Oddie Clubs with category one status will have programmes that vastly increase the contact time with young players, with the aim of ensuring the most-talented youngsters have the best opportunity to fulfil their potential.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/15381652.stm

basically all you need to no in the BBC article

In true HNA stylee, welcome to the board, and feck off newbie..

hahaha didn't take long did it. In even truer HNA stylee oxf**d off!!

Toon Toon Blue army

by Toon Toon Blue army » 25 Jan 2012 22:03

FiNeRaIn So not even 40k? Lovely stuff. Complete waste IMO. Anyone who looks top draw at a young age will get poached by the prem. Utterly diabolical this went through and completely anti-football.

Not really, it ensures the best youngsters are in the best academies. Good for football.. not so good for lesser clubs who won't be able to sell their young 'stars' for big bucks.

postwhisperer

by postwhisperer » 25 Jan 2012 22:08

Looking for £170k for 7 years of development, should be enough to cover the costs

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 25 Jan 2012 22:22

postwhisperer Looking for £170k for 7 years of development, should be enough to cover the costs

whoopee, don't spend that all at once when trying to improve your first team...or reinvest in the academy so it can produce more players to player for other clubs.

rfc2001

Category 1 Academy

by rfc2001 » 26 Jan 2012 01:48

As we all know The EPPP (Elite Player Performance Plan) was introduced to change the youth development system in England. We all recently moaned that this would affect our academy and destroy our club because the academy is what we rely on.

Getting Cat 1 which we aim to do means that we are part of the so called "Elite Group"

http://blog.footballrascal.com/the-eppp ... e-know-it/

I don't know the in's and out's of the EPPP and how it would affect us, but I can only imagine that it's all positive. If anyone is willing to elaborate on the subject matter that would be a great help!!

Mike Hunt
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Category 1 Academy

by Mike Hunt » 26 Jan 2012 02:59

hey mate,

not to get all pedantic on you, but there is already a thread on this ;)

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=111352

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 26 Jan 2012 06:44

How many of our academy products actually come through the whole duration of their development with us though? Most seem to be good ones we've 'nicked' from elsewhere ourselves.

Very few I'd guess would be the answer historically (Pearce, Tyson, Cox and McCarthy, not sure about Obita and D'ath) but perhaps that's changing more recently.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 26 Jan 2012 07:20

Hoop Blah How many of our academy products actually come through the whole duration of their development with us though? Most seem to be good ones we've 'nicked' from elsewhere ourselves.

Very few I'd guess would be the answer historically (Pearce, Tyson, Cox and McCarthy, not sure about Obita and D'ath) but perhaps that's changing more recently.

Obita has been with us since about 8 I think.

Tyson didn't join us until he was well into his teens. 15/16 I think. Likewise Gylffi. They didn't just turn up with a pair of boots one day begging to play for Reading.

You're absolutely right though. It's not as if the clubs complaining about the EPPP thing (Palace in particular) don't take advantage of their status to pick up talent when they can from lower or even non-league sides like Dulwich Hamlet in Palaces case.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 26 Jan 2012 07:36

Oh right, I thought Tyson was with us for much longer.

Conversely I can only think of two players we've lost to other 'bigger' clubs as youngsters (Allaway and Lykos) before we've got them on professional forms (which I think EPPP actually makes easier).

domo

by domo » 26 Jan 2012 08:46

Basically its elite clunbs screwing smaller ones by forcing them to accept the EPPP.In essence it gives the Tier 1's (of which I believe 10-20 are going for it : there are inspections over the coming months with accreditation in June/July ready for preseason) the right to scout at other teams academies offer a fixed fee and also nreak the 90 minute rule so they can have the pick of the players..they downside is tier ones will have larger squads with very little chance of players playing and smaller cllubs canning their youth systems .
BTW my son is at one of the TIer ones and while I do think it has some benefits about more practice time (increasing from the current 5-6 hours to 12-16 per week and hitting the 10000 hours needed) its still about the big clubs buying the talent in order to protect themselves..it still wont stop what the cash rich clubs do in buying foriegn players at 14-16. Also the pressure on the kids increases when they should be still loving the game..

Although its a bit out of date a good read is Every boys Dream written by the sports writer from one of the rags..sad but very true..
In some ways a Tier 2 has better prpsoects for the boys but I guess time will tell..

Red
Hob Nob Regular

by Red » 26 Jan 2012 09:05

^ Good post.

Yes I think there's a danger people think that throwing money at the academy and labelling it "Grade 1" or whatever will instantly yield results.

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 26 Jan 2012 09:08

It's already yielding results, but if it could yield just 1 15 million pound player every 4/5 years it's paid for itself, with the 10,000 hours of training they should get there is real potential that could happen.

(The Gylfi sale alone paid for every year of the academy prior to that iirc, but in that time we've also sold Tyson, Henderson, Cox, Henry etc)

A successful academy is one of the few parts of a football club that has the potential to generate real revenue.

Red
Hob Nob Regular

by Red » 26 Jan 2012 09:14

ZacNaloen A successful academy is one of the few parts of a football club that has the potential to generate real revenue

Not sure what you mean by the that - any "income" from this academy will still be dwarfed by sponsorship, ticket sales, TV/Media deals and merchandise surely?

The Rouge
Hob Nob Regular

by The Rouge » 26 Jan 2012 09:24

ZacNaloen It's already yielding results, but if it could yield just 1 15 million pound player every 4/5 years it's paid for itself, with the 10,000 hours of training they should get there is real potential that could happen.

(The Gylfi sale alone paid for every year of the academy prior to that iirc, but in that time we've also sold Tyson, Henderson, Cox, Henry etc)

A successful academy is one of the few parts of a football club that has the potential to generate real revenue.

On that point, I would live to know what actual money we received/will receive from Kitson, Doyle, Gylfi and Long transfers. I would suggest the fees are rarely as much as what is printed.

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict

by ZacNaloen » 26 Jan 2012 09:33

Red
ZacNaloen A successful academy is one of the few parts of a football club that has the potential to generate real revenue

Not sure what you mean by the that - any "income" from this academy will still be dwarfed by sponsorship, ticket sales, TV/Media deals and merchandise surely?

Dwarfed is a strong word Red, any revenue on top of what you were expecting is to be welcomed though.