Jason Roberts signs 18-month contract

166 posts
Super Kevin Bremner!
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Jason Roberts signs 18-month contract

by Super Kevin Bremner! » 27 Jan 2012 10:06

Reason this is a good signing is that Roberts has many of the attributes that Made Shane Long so effective in this league. He has pace, power and most important of all he drives at defences, forcing them to make decisions they don't want to in and around their own penalty area.

Expect our penalty count to rise again is all I'm saying. Championship defenders aren't good enough when forwards run at them.

I think this is a very clever signing.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 27 Jan 2012 10:44

http://www.adifferentleague.co.uk/p6_1_ ... ading.html
\

Jason Roberts’s five-and-a-half-year spell with Premier League outfit Blackburn Rovers came to an end on Thursday as the veteran Grenadian striker joined Championship side Reading for an undisclosed fee. Roberts, who turned 34 on Wednesday, had fallen out of favour at Ewood Park following a well-documented contractual issue. His last appearance for Steve Kean’s side came during Rovers’ 2-1 loss to West Brom back in mid-December, where the centre forward replaced summer signing Simon Vukcevic in the 62nd minute. Roberts’s exit will come as no surprise to supporters following the recent arrival of Anthony Modeste on loan from Bordeaux.

As is the case with many footballers that have donned the famous blue-and-white strip, Roberts had been the subject of intense criticism at various times during his Rovers career. Many of his knockers argued that he simply did not find the back of the net on enough occasions – and a record of 29 goals in over 150 appearances for the Lancashire outfit goes some way into illustrating their point. As a target man however, there was much more to Roberts’s game than just scoring goals.

What the Royals are getting for their money is a strong, powerful, hard-working team player who scores crucial goals. Roberts is effective at holding the ball up in good positions and bringing others into play. In addition to his qualities on the field of play, the London-born striker is a respectable, mature mentor to have in the dressing room. Fiercely loyal and totally committed, Roberts will be a positive influence at the Madejski Stadium as Reading push for a play-off berth. Rovers may have benefited by receiving a nominal fee and getting the experienced star off their wage bill, but they have lost a model professional.

Reading Chairman Sir John Madejski recognises this. He said: "I am delighted that a man of Jason Roberts’s calibre has decided to sign for Reading Football Club. He will bring enormous experience to the club, and I wish him every success in helping his new teammates."

While many supporters who appreciated Roberts’s positive attitude and efforts as a Rovers player will understand it was time for him to go, some have been disappointed by the way he has been treated by the club. Rovers have been ruthless with Roberts. Despite handing him a contract extension just a year ago, Kean recently stopped picking him because, according to reports, a clause in Roberts’s contract said that if he played a certain number of games this season he would be entitled to another year at the club. Venky’s have shown a lack of class in dealing with a player who has been a great servant and has shown great passion for Blackburn Rovers.

Former Real Madrid superstar Michel Salgado has a similar contractual dispute; he is also likely to leave the club soon. The fans of the Lancashire outfit will be delighted to know however that - with just a few days of the transfer window left - key men Chris Samba, Steven Nzonzi and Junior Hoilett are still Rovers players. If Venky’s resist the temptation to sell any of their stars in coming days, then the Ewood Park side will stand a good chance of avoiding relegation.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 27 Jan 2012 10:46

Presuming we don't sign another striker
what do we think will be the typical set-up?

442 still with Roberts as the target man and Alf feeding off him would be my choice

Hunt to come on after 65 if it's not happening?

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 27 Jan 2012 10:50

Personally i think Church will benefit most from Roberts

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 27 Jan 2012 11:29

Snowball http://www.adifferentleague.co.uk/p6_1_13070_blackburn-club-focus-rovers-sell-jason-roberts-to-reading.html
\

Jason Roberts’s five-and-a-half-year spell with Premier League outfit Blackburn Rovers came to an end on Thursday as the veteran Grenadian striker joined Championship side Reading for an undisclosed fee. Roberts, who turned 34 on Wednesday, had fallen out of favour at Ewood Park following a well-documented contractual issue. His last appearance for Steve Kean’s side came during Rovers’ 2-1 loss to West Brom back in mid-December, where the centre forward replaced summer signing Simon Vukcevic in the 62nd minute. Roberts’s exit will come as no surprise to supporters following the recent arrival of Anthony Modeste on loan from Bordeaux.

As is the case with many footballers that have donned the famous blue-and-white strip, Roberts had been the subject of intense criticism at various times during his Rovers career. Many of his knockers argued that he simply did not find the back of the net on enough occasions – and a record of 29 goals in over 150 appearances for the Lancashire outfit goes some way into illustrating their point. As a target man however, there was much more to Roberts’s game than just scoring goals.

What the Royals are getting for their money is a strong, powerful, hard-working team player who scores crucial goals. Roberts is effective at holding the ball up in good positions and bringing others into play. In addition to his qualities on the field of play, the London-born striker is a respectable, mature mentor to have in the dressing room. Fiercely loyal and totally committed, Roberts will be a positive influence at the Madejski Stadium as Reading push for a play-off berth. Rovers may have benefited by receiving a nominal fee and getting the experienced star off their wage bill, but they have lost a model professional.

Reading Chairman Sir John Madejski recognises this. He said: "I am delighted that a man of Jason Roberts’s calibre has decided to sign for Reading Football Club. He will bring enormous experience to the club, and I wish him every success in helping his new teammates."

While many supporters who appreciated Roberts’s positive attitude and efforts as a Rovers player will understand it was time for him to go, some have been disappointed by the way he has been treated by the club. Rovers have been ruthless with Roberts. Despite handing him a contract extension just a year ago, Kean recently stopped picking him because, according to reports, a clause in Roberts’s contract said that if he played a certain number of games this season he would be entitled to another year at the club. Venky’s have shown a lack of class in dealing with a player who has been a great servant and has shown great passion for Blackburn Rovers.

Former Real Madrid superstar Michel Salgado has a similar contractual dispute; he is also likely to leave the club soon. The fans of the Lancashire outfit will be delighted to know however that - with just a few days of the transfer window left - key men Chris Samba, Steven Nzonzi and Junior Hoilett are still Rovers players. If Venky’s resist the temptation to sell any of their stars in coming days, then the Ewood Park side will stand a good chance of avoiding relegation.

Shameful, thankfully we've never done anything like that with our "older" players

Madstad to Nadderud

by Madstad to Nadderud » 27 Jan 2012 11:31

Is it me or is anyone else excited at the moment? It's like old times with something interesting to read about at RFC as we are actually signing a few players and therefore some proper football news. Good signing with Jason Roberts and remember seeing him with Cureton at Bristol Rovers on many occasions and thinking what a great striker partnership that was.

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 27 Jan 2012 11:46

Uke
Shameful, thankfully we've never done anything like that with our "older" players

nice reference to salako there :lol:

Dare to Dr£am
Hob Nob Regular

by Dare to Dr£am » 27 Jan 2012 11:48

TBM Personally i think Church will benefit most from Roberts

I agree. The rest on the bench will do him good.

Le Fondre is the perfect partner for Roberts. I just hope if McDermott doesn't run with it tomorrow, it doesn't take to long to see it.

Optimist

by Optimist » 27 Jan 2012 11:53

I'm with those who weren't too impressed when it was first rumoured, but now quite excited about signing him. And to those who think he's useless because he isn't wanted by a relegation candidate Premier League club, I raise you a Kaspars Gorkss.

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 27 Jan 2012 11:58

Optimist And to those who think he's useless because he isn't wanted by a relegation candidate Premier League club, I raise you a Kaspars Gorkss.

Thats a truly awful example. :roll:

Dare to Dr£am
Hob Nob Regular

by Dare to Dr£am » 27 Jan 2012 12:03

FiNeRaIn
Optimist And to those who think he's useless because he isn't wanted by a relegation candidate Premier League club, I raise you a Kaspars Gorkss.

Hardly. He captained, successfully, QPR to the Championship title last season but was deemed past it by Neil Warnock and allowed to leave for a then mediocre Championship club where he has floureshed.

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 27 Jan 2012 12:10

They're a promoted club playing at the same level as us last season. Blackburn had been in the prem for YEARS along with roberts who had also played in the prem for years and was a proven prem player. Gorks has never been a proven prem player and QPR are in their first season there. Its a woeful comparison.
Last edited by FiNeRaIn on 27 Jan 2012 12:13, edited 2 times in total.

Optimist

by Optimist » 27 Jan 2012 12:10

Dare to Dr£am
FiNeRaIn

Hardly. He captained, successfully, QPR to the Championship title last season but was deemed past it by Neil Warnock and allowed to leave for a then mediocre Championship club where he has floureshed.

Precisely 8)

Optimist

by Optimist » 27 Jan 2012 12:13

FiNeRaIn Their a promoted club playing at the same level as us last season. Blackburn had been in the prem for YEARS along with roberts who had also played in the prem for years and was a proven prem player. Gorks has never been a proven prem player and QPR are in their first season there. Its a woeful comparison.

I never mentioned anything about "proven prem players", I'm talking about players seen as surplus to requirements.

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 27 Jan 2012 12:16

TBM Personally i think Church will benefit most from Roberts

Most definately will by playing week in week out, just not at reading

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 27 Jan 2012 12:17

FiNeRaIn
Uke

nice reference to salako there :lol:

and Goater

Given that Roberts will be 35½ when his contract runs out; I hope he won't be expecting too many extensions

Dare to Dr£am
Hob Nob Regular

by Dare to Dr£am » 27 Jan 2012 12:43

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2011/se ... NTCMP=SRCH

Good read about how the older players have an important role to play.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 27 Jan 2012 13:31

Dare to Dr£am http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2011/sep/09/jason-roberts-my-greatest-mistake?INTCMP=SRCH

Good read about how the older players have an important role to play.

I remember talking to a couple of players from the 106 team during that season and they talked about the influence of Ferdinand and Keown the previous season. Although on the face of it those signings didn't deliver on the pitch what was expected,they believed that having their input for a few months had a knock on effect in how certain players improved immeasurably the following year.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 27 Jan 2012 13:36

Dare to Dr£am
FiNeRaIn

It's all part of Colin's devious master plan!

He wanted to get his own man deep inside our camp, realising that his own days at the fake hoops were likely to be numbered, due to the impatience and fear of their big money owners. He got wind of the Russians advancing on the Mad Stad and realised that unless his bald friend produced the goods PDQ he was likely to end up out in the cold. New owners would then look for a man with a proven record of using cash and passion to blast teams into the PL in double quick time. Thus allowing Colin to return to the scene of so many of his crimes, the most notorious of all being Wallygate!

phil in cornwall

by phil in cornwall » 27 Jan 2012 14:05

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2079435/Premier-League-transfer-window--January-2012.html

Says here that it was a free transfer. If so, that's two.

Shows what you can do with Russian oligarch's money when you do it the Reading way.

166 posts