Back from the game - Bristol City (H)

250 posts
East Grinstead Royal

Re: Back from the game - Bristol City (H)

by East Grinstead Royal » 29 Jan 2012 15:24

Maguire
Fox Talbot [quote="Maguire
Matter of opinion I suppose. If we'd scored one of those I thought we would have gone on to win.

Perhaps, but as it stands an extra goal would've got us one more point. That's the fact.

And if we'd scored both missed pens we'd have 2 extra points on that basis.[/quote]

So each one was worth an extra point, not two![/quote]

What? We lost 2-1. If we'd scored both penalties, you could argue we would have won. In which case we would be 3 points better off.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 29 Jan 2012 15:31

As is always the case with decisions made by the referee, think about the reaction you would make if the decision to be made was for the opposition. For me, having seen the highlights, both were solid decisions by the referee.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 29 Jan 2012 15:31

Yes, but he said each penalty cost us two points (the same two points).

If either had gone in we would have got a draw ie. an extra point. So they each cost us a point.

Had the first been scored then the second miss would've cost us two points (and vice versa)

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 29 Jan 2012 15:32

melonhead 2nd pen- LOL'd at it when i saw it from the north east corner

Negative twit

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 29 Jan 2012 16:26

Maguire

Negative twit

:lol:

i changed my mind though!

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 29 Jan 2012 17:19

West Stand Man It didn't really matter to the outcome but ...

After about 6 mins of the game the ball was threaded through to Roberts, who was clearly in an offside position. as the ball went past him he turned to chase it. The instant he turned and moved the flag went up for the offside. So where, pray tell, was the FIFA/FA guidance about the player having to touch the ball?

The truth is that yesterday's assistant got it spot on, Roberts was offside and he was interfering with play; last weeks referee and assistant need re-educating

I believe that immediately after the incident you refer to, McDermott went over to the 4th official and had a lengthy debate. I suspect that he was referring to the mysterious directive that the ref in charge of the Hull game quoted to defend the appalling mistake he and his assistant had made.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 29 Jan 2012 18:00

West Stand Man
Maguire Yes, I've seen the replay. I'd never have gone down under a little nudge like that. Bought it.

At which point all intelligent life seeks to break out of the discussion with you. You didn't see it live and now you have seen it on tv replay you are happy to side with some negative twits who sit near you? For that reason I am out.

Bugger off you snooty twat! Sitting 15 yards from the incident it looked a blatant dive, we were almost pleased James made such a great save. Having watched FLS this morning though it seems there was a lot more contact than us "twits" thought live. Not as much as when Noel got clattered sans penalty in the first half though.

FWIW it was a fairly poor game, Antonio was tons better than last week, actually managing several decent crosses, JR is quality especially for this level it's just a shame how bad he makes his teammates look. Oh and last time I looked we won and are now 4th, this is a good thing BTW RL

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 29 Jan 2012 18:12

Silver Fox Sitting 15 yards from the incident it looked a blatant dive, we were almost pleased James made such a great save. Having watched FLS this morning though it seems there was a lot more contact than us "twits" thought live. Not as much as when Noel got clattered sans penalty in the first half though.

Is this a Hob-Nobber actually admitting that the eye occasionally deceives? Surely not?

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 29 Jan 2012 18:22

Watched the highlights on Teev

McAnuff gets kudos for a great challenge after the Bristol overhead kick. Probably saved us conceding

SWLR
Hob Nob Regular

by SWLR » 29 Jan 2012 19:08

melonhead
Maguire

Negative twit

:lol:

i changed my mind though!

All around me in b17 did this :oops: followed by :lol: followed by :evil: (saved); followed by :twisted:

philM

by philM » 29 Jan 2012 19:09

Silver Fox
West Stand Man
Maguire Yes, I've seen the replay. I'd never have gone down under a little nudge like that. Bought it.

...we were almost pleased James made such a great save....

Couldn't believe the number of Reading fans who appeared pleased by it, and actually applauded the save :shock:

The Arsenal syndrome.

grey_squirrel

by grey_squirrel » 29 Jan 2012 19:11

The way Cywka went down was no different to the way Long always used to play for it.

Identical in fact in my opinion.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 29 Jan 2012 20:30

Snowball Watched the highlights on Teev

McAnuff gets kudos for a great challenge after the Bristol overhead kick. Probably saved us conceding

Yeah, thought that too. On a level bruv

SpaghettiHoop

by SpaghettiHoop » 29 Jan 2012 20:51

Two obvious penalties - move on.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 29 Jan 2012 21:43

Wowza. But for some poor finishing by both sides that could have been 5-2 to us judging by the chances on the highlights. How on earth did Hunt miss that cross? All he had to do was extend his left leg. Great save from James to deny McAnuff his penalty and for the good shot curling in low too.

Royal Prince

by Royal Prince » 29 Jan 2012 22:37

Snowball Watched the highlights on Teev

This, plus the two late attempts on target refered to by Ian Royal above, are why people should stop getting on Jobi's case and actually start supporting the lad.

As for the debate over the second pen, I thought he took a dive when watching it live, however replays show contact was made. Maybe he could have stayed on his feet, but would the ref have given the pen if he had?....

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/3316700/Referee-Howard-Webb-tells-Blackpool-players-they-need-to-go-down-more-often-to-win-fouls.html

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 29 Jan 2012 22:44

Maguire
West Stand Man

At which point all intelligent life seeks to break out of the discussion with you. You didn't see it live and now you have seen it on tv replay you are happy to side with some negative twits who sit near you? For that reason I am out.

Jeez, are things not right at home or something?

I saw it on the TV in the lobby, yes. I'm merely conveying to the board that everyone who sits around me, all right next to the incident, all big Reading fans, all prone to disagreeing with each other about everything, all laughed at how poor a penalty decision it was. That was in response the original poster who said he'd heard people say it was a dive.

You can be as rude about people as you want, but I guess I feel the same way about divs who sit in the West Stand and can't accept people may have views (in both senses) that differ from their own.

this is a funny one - from just behind the goal in the north stand it was laughable. Absolutely not a penalty. I've watched it again on the TV and it is definitely a penalty.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 29 Jan 2012 22:49

leon this is a funny one - from just behind the goal in the north stand it was laughable. Absolutely not a penalty. I've watched it again on the TV and it is definitely a penalty.

Trust your eyes bro, not the machine.

Agree with whoever ^^^ that McAnuff did well after Adomah's overhead was saved. Said that at the time - good defending. I like McAnuff as a player, one of my favoured players if you will. Get why he frustrates but he's been good for us.

Talked the missus just now and her old man apparently said "never a penalty" from his seat in the UW so I guess he's a twit as well.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 29 Jan 2012 22:54

Maguire
leon this is a funny one - from just behind the goal in the north stand it was laughable. Absolutely not a penalty. I've watched it again on the TV and it is definitely a penalty.

Trust your eyes bro, not the machine.

Agree with whoever ^^^ that McAnuff did well after Adomah's overhead was saved. Said that at the time - good defending. I like McAnuff as a player, one of my favoured players if you will. Get why he frustrates but he's been good for us.

Talked the missus just now and her old man apparently said "never a penalty" from his seat in the UW so I guess he's a twit as well.

agree to an extent on McAnuff...he annoys me because he doesn't always attack the full back and get the ball in to the box - but when he plays, he supports his full back very well.

Pseud O'Nym
Hob Nob Regular

by Pseud O'Nym » 29 Jan 2012 22:55

Maguire Talked the missus just now and her old man apparently said "never a penalty" from his seat in the UW so I guess he's a twit as well.

How can we judge if we've never seen him? Do you have a link to some video of him?

250 posts