No more money

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

Re: No more money

by Extended-Phenotype » 20 Jan 2012 14:02

“If we had money we would invest” becomes “ok we have the money but now we need the money for future debt.”

“Our weak position in the table makes investment to big a risk” becomes “our strong position in the table makes investment unnecessary”.

It’s all a bit apologetic to be honest.

I just have my fingers crossed that the statement was a bluff, and the chairman really does have some ambition for his club.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 20 Jan 2012 14:07

We do have ambition.

To be top-half of the Championship, solvent, with a decent chance
of challenging for the POs, and maybe, with some extra luck, 2-3-4
Karacan-Pearce-Gyfli-Longs getting into the first team one season,
pinching an automatic spot.

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 20 Jan 2012 14:19

Being in 5th doesn’t equate to the chairman showing ambition. Replacing a sold player in order to take advantage of a strong position does.

And I hardly see why strengthening the team when already challenging for promotion, is throwing money away – unless of course you don’t have any faith in the club.

YEAH BUT BECAUSE LEEDS

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 20 Jan 2012 15:37

yawn

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 20 Jan 2012 16:07

YEAH BUT BECAUSE YAWN

:wink:

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 20 Jan 2012 16:10

Extended-Phenotype You don't make a loss if you get promoted. Cheers for the vote of confidence JM.

And we have run at a bigger loss than 3m. Plus, who even wants us to spend that much?

Even you are struggling to defend this nonsense.

Lame.

You might want to report our fraudulent accounts from 2005/06 then. As they state we made a fairly hefty loss that season.

FACTS: irrelevant to [some of] the "we should spend" camp.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 20 Jan 2012 17:55

sandman Or maybe the current regime is on its way out.

8)

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 20 Jan 2012 17:56

sandman
sandman Or maybe the current regime is on its way out.

8)

Very interesting. Some nice signings before the end of the window would do the trick 8)

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 20 Jan 2012 18:00

Ian Royal
Extended-Phenotype You don't make a loss if you get promoted. Cheers for the vote of confidence JM.

And we have run at a bigger loss than 3m. Plus, who even wants us to spend that much?

Lame.

You might want to report our fraudulent accounts from 2005/06 then. As they state we made a fairly hefty loss that season.

The reason we made a loss is because some smart individuals decided to pay our championship players wages equal to the likes of frank lampard...somehow amassing an outrageous 40 million or so on wages or whatever it was.

Hopefully they'll use their brains if there is ever a next time and not ruin the next decade for the club.

Rex
Hob Nob Addict

by Rex » 20 Jan 2012 18:01

Just leave MaccyD alone though.

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 20 Jan 2012 18:14

FiNeRaIn
The reason we made a loss is because some smart individuals decided to pay our championship players wages equal to the likes of frank lampard...somehow amassing an outrageous 40 million or so on wages or whatever it was.

Hopefully they'll use their brains if there is ever a next time and not ruin the next decade for the club.

The reason we made a loss was that we got promoted, and we had a few players on really good bonuses should that happen, however we also had players on lower wages due to the good bonuses we had on the table, we also had to pay clubs that sold us players with clauses if we went up.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 20 Jan 2012 20:55

FiNeRaIn
Ian Royal

Lame.

wages were ~ 32, AND 35 Million
our biggest payed player on around a 5th of what lamps was on then

we payed a decent wage-required to keep our players there
mostly based on cast iron achievment in 106 points, and 8th place in the prem, so well deserved- gut still not far from the lower end of the prem wage scale.

it sounds like you would have been happy to see less spent on wages, lose our best players earlier, & get relegated in the 1st season.
& there was me thinking you were one of those always demanding we spend more.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 25 Jan 2012 14:11

Hoop Blah We have this debate over their 'no money' quotes every transfer window and then we follow it up by spending very little.

I still don't buy the justification that they're trying to keep down prices when we're negotiating or putting agents off the scent etc etc. The industry is very incestuous and clubs know what their players are worth to them and they pretty know the positions any buying clubs are in so a little bit of bemoaning the lack of funds in the local rag isn't going to change any clubs asking price.

I'm sure it's a lot more about managing down fans expectations and a fair bit of just giving the hacks something to write about at the same time.

It's interesting to see the choice of phrase McDermott uses with the 'this regime' quote. Not really sure what to read into that, if anything...

Now that this deal is out in the open and we're admitting to the world that we have funds available can we put to bed the idea that the 'we've got no funds' was just a negotiating tool the club used to plead poverty to clubs and agents to keep fee's and wages down.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 25 Jan 2012 14:15

Hoop Blah
Hoop Blah We have this debate over their 'no money' quotes every transfer window and then we follow it up by spending very little.

I still don't buy the justification that they're trying to keep down prices when we're negotiating or putting agents off the scent etc etc. The industry is very incestuous and clubs know what their players are worth to them and they pretty know the positions any buying clubs are in so a little bit of bemoaning the lack of funds in the local rag isn't going to change any clubs asking price.

I'm sure it's a lot more about managing down fans expectations and a fair bit of just giving the hacks something to write about at the same time.

It's interesting to see the choice of phrase McDermott uses with the 'this regime' quote. Not really sure what to read into that, if anything...

Now that this deal is out in the open and we're admitting to the world that we have funds available can we put to bed the idea that the 'we've got no funds' was just a negotiating tool the club used to plead poverty to clubs and agents to keep fee's and wages down.

Not really as JM specifically made a point to other clubs in the Press conference that we wont be throwing stupid money away. He's still trying to manage that expectation. Whether it actually makes any difference to negotiations with other clubs is open to debate but i suspect the powers that be at Reading still think it does otherwise why say it?

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 25 Jan 2012 14:27

Probably to manage fan/media expectations more than anything else.

It also doesn't seem that we have oodles of cash to spend in this window (hence the targets we're being linked with) so it's still true that we haven't got a bottomless pit for McDermott to dip into.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 25 Jan 2012 14:49

Hoop Blah Probably to manage fan/media expectations more than anything else.

It also doesn't seem that we have oodles of cash to spend in this window (hence the targets we're being linked with) so it's still true that we haven't got a bottomless pit for McDermott to dip into.

Probably but it certainly doesn't "put to bed" the issue you've always had a bee in your bonnet about either :wink:

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 25 Jan 2012 14:53

Of course it does!

I need to start making room in the bonnet for some new bees.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 25 Jan 2012 14:55

Hoop Blah Of course it does!

I need to start making room in the bonnet for some new bees.

Well Karleigh Osborne's gotta stay somewhere.

I'll get me coat

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 31 Jan 2012 09:42

McDermott said not Now that this deal is out in the open and we're admitting to the world that we have funds available can we put to bed the idea that the 'we've got no funds' was just a negotiating tool the club used to plead poverty to clubs and agents to keep fee's and wages down.

Again, I can't believe he's letting the cat out of the bag that we've now got money to spend. Does he not care that other clubs will now know and bump up their prices!!!

brendy, get down the car park quick and tell him to stop ruining are chances of getting a couple of quid off the next non-league gamble.

Svlad Cjelli
Hob Nob Regular
Location: It's the Premier LEAGUE, you cretins. The Premiership hasn't existed for years.

by Svlad Cjelli » 31 Jan 2012 10:27

Let's not forget that we don't have any new money yet, and we won't until the end of due diligence and the deal being completed (assuming that happens, and it's by no means a foregone certainty.)

What we do have at the moment is a loan at 1% above baserate from the potential new owners.