Thames Sports Investment

5145 posts
Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Thames Sports Investment

by Royal Lady » 06 Feb 2012 18:08

Excellent detective skills people. I'll be losing my Miss MaRLple crown at this rate.

I would seriously doubt that anyone starting 6th form ,at a boarding school in a different country to their own, would be there prior to the long school Summer holidays that private schools have. May would be near the end of the term - terms finish end of June/beginning of July - after public examinations. So he wouldn't have been at the school in May 1998. May have been over for a visit - suspect he'd at least be shown the school before starting - but I think we can assume that he was hardly a regular supporter on the terraces. Probably went once.

philM

by philM » 06 Feb 2012 18:21

RoyalBlue
melonhead
Maguire Would he really just jet over from Russia on the first day of term?

Seems more likely he'd been around Reading prior to that time, or may have visited on other non-school related occasions.

Or perhaps he's never claimed to have attended a match at EP. Let's give the man a chance to defend himself.

he didnt- was mentioned at press conference, samuelson said hed payed to go before, "probably at elm park" was added by journo, or samuelson/JM, probably just assuming from the college date...

Yes, it was Chris Samuelson who saidAnton had gone to watch them at Elm Park.

What was really said in the press conf... (melonhead you are waaay out)

Journo: Has he ever payed cash to go through the turnstiles here at the Madejski stadium and watch Reading play?
Samuelson: I don't know the answer to that
SJM: No he has, he has yes.
Journo: ...so he has stood on the terraces
SJM: Actually I think he's been to Elm Park.
Samuelson: Yes, Elm Park as well, he told me he's been to Elm Park.

Pseud O'Nym
Hob Nob Regular

by Pseud O'Nym » 06 Feb 2012 19:09

ZacNaloen Russian Mafia is just a lazy method of describing the Oligarchs.

And oligarchs is just a lazy way of describing rich Russians. The term was invented to refer specifically to a group of people who were given oil wealth by Boris Yeltsin.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 06 Feb 2012 19:40

Seriously, does anyone actually give a flying one whether he went to EP or MS, both or neither?

Hardly a fcuking deal-breaker is it?

PistolPete
Hob Nob Regular

by PistolPete » 06 Feb 2012 20:05

Yeah, I do. It doesn't keep me up at night, but the thought of the guy slumming it at Elm park and then going on to buy the club is a really cool thought.

Seeing as this is a Reading FC fans website and this is a thread about a new owner, it does seem to be the perfect place to discuss the little details that keep us ticking over between games...

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 06 Feb 2012 21:06

Pseud O'Nym
ZacNaloen Russian Mafia is just a lazy method of describing the Oligarchs.

And oligarchs is just a lazy way of describing rich Russians. The term was invented to refer specifically to a group of people who were given oil wealth by Boris Yeltsin.

Errr... All sorts of things wrong with this post really

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 06 Feb 2012 21:09

philM
RoyalBlue
melonhead

he didnt- was mentioned at press conference, samuelson said hed payed to go before, "probably at elm park" was added by journo, or samuelson/JM, probably just assuming from the college date...

Yes, it was Chris Samuelson who saidAnton had gone to watch them at Elm Park.

What was really said in the press conf... (melonhead you are waaay out)

Journo: Has he ever payed cash to go through the turnstiles here at the Madejski stadium and watch Reading play?
Samuelson: I don't know the answer to that
SJM: No he has, he has yes.
Journo: ...so he has stood on the terraces
SJM: Actually I think he's been to Elm Park.
Samuelson: Yes, Elm Park as well, he told me he's been to Elm Park.

thats hardly way out- id say its almost exactly spot on....

Deadlock
Hob Nob Regular
Location: There's nothing of value there and the people make very poor slaves.

by Deadlock » 06 Feb 2012 21:15

rfc2001
Red
rfc2001 Hopefully Reading FC will become Reading City FC

http://www.getreading.co.uk/news/s/2107 ... ity_status

Given they're not Reading Town now, I can't see why they'd change (other than at the behest of RBC to further their propaganda of course)

Good use of "townsfolk" in the article.

Isn't their already a Reading Town Fc competing in the lower leagues somewhere. Irrelevant I know.

If you knew about Reading Town - who play in the Hellenic Premier at Scours Lane - why suggest RFC change their name?

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 07 Feb 2012 09:33

cmonurz If I was caught 'boggling a bird', what would I be doing exactly?

Simply that the name sounds so much better that Orville the Ornitholigical Operative, least I can spell it correctly more consistently anyway. Does that help?

Of course under the new regime I should be known as " Барри птица boggler "!

Red
Hob Nob Regular

by Red » 07 Feb 2012 10:16

dogzbollox

''Ladbrokes public affairs manager Richard Royal, formerly from Reading, said: “It’s one-way traffic for Reading. Champagne corks will be popping on us if the gamble is landed.''

Richard Royal, formerly from Reading....???????? F*ck off that's made up.......bollox

http://www.linkedin.com/pub/richard-royal/13/65b/11b

Rob-Royal

by Rob-Royal » 07 Feb 2012 10:55

Red
dogzbollox

''Ladbrokes public affairs manager Richard Royal, formerly from Reading, said: “It’s one-way traffic for Reading. Champagne corks will be popping on us if the gamble is landed.''

Richard Royal, formerly from Reading....???????? F*ck off that's made up.......bollox

http://www.linkedin.com/pub/richard-royal/13/65b/11b

http://www.linkedin.com/pub/bollox-bollox/2b/169/3b7

royalp-we
Hob Nob Regular

by royalp-we » 07 Feb 2012 12:13

http://www.sports.ru/en/football/136132035.html

Nice little article.... nothing we didn't already know but it's a good read (and a stunning pic of his belarusian angel)

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 07 Feb 2012 12:18

royalp-we http://www.sports.ru/en/football/136132035.html

Nice little article.... nothing we didn't already know but it's a good read (and a stunning pic of his belarusian angel)

«Did he know you were a model?»

«Yes, he realised that from looking at my photos.»

:lol:

Dare to Dr£am
Hob Nob Regular

by Dare to Dr£am » 07 Feb 2012 12:21

royalp-we http://www.sports.ru/en/football/136132035.html

It's official, Mr Zingarevich is God.

Good God!

Zingarevich’s 4-step program to success:

1. Make the club profitable (can only happen in the Premiership and even then if we're tightly ran...)

Last year Reading was failing financially, making a downturn of £5.3 million. With this in mind, the financial fair-play regulations may be the least of the club’s worries, but the key is that for Zingarevich Reading is just a business project. «Reading is not a hobby for me, it’s an investment», he recently told one of the Russian newspapers.

2. Maintain club ethos and keep the backbone of the squad

The first steps in this direction have already been made: Madejski will remain the club’s chairman and the stadium will keep its name, even though renaming it may have been beneficial. The top players will also remain in the team.

«Hopefully, we won’t have to sell our best players now, which is so important. That’s all I’ve wanted to do, if you can keep your best players and add a couple now and then, it’s a recipe for success,» said Reading manager Brian McDermott.

3. Develop the youth academy

One can see the kind of state the current youth system is in just by looking at its page on the club’s official website: it has no recent news, just a few notices from year 2008. What needs to be done? The first aim is to bring the academy into the top category, which requires annual funds in the region of £2.5 million. That would provide new facilities and more intensive training methods – a luxury not many clubs can afford.

«We will invest in the Academy and scouting system of the club and this is investing in the grassroots to create the values in football. The current youth and scouting structure is already working well, we just need to improve it and continue to grow. That is the most effective way to succeed,» insists Chris Samuelson of TSI.

4. Keep the wage bill down (yet it's already gone up with this window and will almost certainly do so again in the summer)

The last of the takeover’s key conditions is the establishment of strict regulations of the players’ wage structure – it cannot be subject to sudden shifts.

«If we don’t take a cautious approach to the financial aspects, the club will go bankrupt. Reading is going to spend wisely, and it is no longer going to need to sell its top players in order to stay afloat,» insists Samuelson.
Last edited by Dare to Dr£am on 07 Feb 2012 12:31, edited 1 time in total.

Bandini
Hob Nob Regular
Location: No one must know I dropped my glasses in the toilet.

by Bandini » 07 Feb 2012 12:30

His bond with Reading formed in an almost fairytale-like fashion. Back in the nineties Zingarevich, a student at a local college, would go to watch the club at Elm Park. This tiny arena, built in end of the 19th century, was home to Reading up until 1998. Even if this story is just a fancy tale for the public, it is a smart move: the local crowd would always have more respect for a longstanding fan, than for just another random foreigner with bags of cash.

:|

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 07 Feb 2012 12:32

3. Develop the youth academy
One can see the kind of state the current youth system is in just by looking at its page on the club’s official website: it has no recent news, just a few notices from year 2008. What needs to be done? The first aim is to bring the academy into the top category, which requires annual funds in the region of £2.5 million. That would provide new facilities and more intensive training methods – a luxury not many clubs can afford.
«We will invest in the Academy and scouting system of the club and this is investing in the grassroots to create the values in football. The current youth and scouting structure is already working well, we just need to improve it and continue to grow. That is the most effective way to succeed,» insists Chris Samuelson of TSI.

Something tells me they read the calender wrong here, there has been news since then, but also for some reason the reports for the academy results and the players that have graduated from the academy don't go in that section for some reason

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 07 Feb 2012 12:39

«If we don’t take a cautious approach to the financial aspects, the club will go bankrupt. Reading is going to spend wisely, and it is no longer going to need to sell its top players in order to stay afloat,» insists Samuelson.

We've already been cautious for years though, so what are they going to do that's any different? How do they know that the wage structure they want to put in place will keep our top players here and attract new ones? :|

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict

by ZacNaloen » 07 Feb 2012 12:43

We've already been cautious for years though, so what are they going to do that's any different? How do they know that the wage structure they want to put in place will keep our top players here and attract new ones?

The only thing that is going to be different is that the new investors will be able to cover losses until we get promoted. Our wage structure is already competitive, it's not wages that meant we lost the likes of Shane and Gylfi, it was just not being able to afford to keep them when we were 5 million short every year and the fee they command covers that gap.

They are probably banking on it not taking too long, because of how well we compete already.

Dare to Dr£am
Hob Nob Regular

by Dare to Dr£am » 07 Feb 2012 12:46

ZacNaloen
We've already been cautious for years though, so what are they going to do that's any different? How do they know that the wage structure they want to put in place will keep our top players here and attract new ones?

The only thing that is going to be different is that the new investors will be able to cover losses until we get promoted. Our wage structure is already competitive, it's not wages that meant we lost the likes of Shane and Gylfi, it was just not being able to afford to keep them when we were 5 million short every year and the fee they command covers that gap.

They are probably banking on it not taking too long, because of how well we compete already.

Agreed, and McDermott is now under a lot of pressure.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 07 Feb 2012 12:54

ZacNaloen The only thing that is going to be different is that the new investors will be able to cover losses until we get promoted. Our wage structure is already competitive, it's not wages that meant we lost the likes of Shane and Gylfi, it was just not being able to afford to keep them when we were 5 million short every year and the fee they command covers that gap.

:?

If our annual shortfall wasn't because we didn't bring in enough revenue to cover our wage bill, then what was the cause?

5145 posts