Joseph Mills

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Joseph Mills

by Royal With Cheese » 07 Feb 2012 17:47

William Oddie New contract

http://www.readingfc.co.uk/page/NewsDet ... 62,00.html

Should be playing. Was improving game on game before injury!

William.

My body is available for you to rub your beard over.

I'd prefer if you make a it thorough job.

The Rouge
Hob Nob Regular

by The Rouge » 07 Feb 2012 18:07

I am unsure on Mills. I was veering towards not looking good enough/not sure he will improve and then he gave a MOTM display in one of his last home games before injury and played v well.

We badly need either:
- Harte to improve his set pieces significantly
- Mills to play and his set pieces to be better than we have witnessed
- someone else to emerge as a set piece taker (does Cywka take set-pieces?)

I do not really follow a snowball-esque stats approach to football, but the two areas I do think are important are the number of crosses put in per game and, more importantly, the quality of them.

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 07 Feb 2012 18:10

floyd__streete Pfffff. Looked very average and defensively suspect in his fleeting appearances earlier this season. Displayed precious little to get overly excited about. That said, he is young and perhaps will improve. He is a better prospect now than Cummings looked two seasons ago, I spose (not hard that though).

Laughable.

Ian Harte is very suspect at the back yet we don't hear about it. Mills > Harte

marcusopp

by marcusopp » 07 Feb 2012 18:23

You lot were queuing up to suck Harte's d1ck last season, now he's being slated!
I like Mills, he's another option compared to our more experienced full backs. If he's patient he'll do a cummings.
I hope Harte decides when he leaves, with dignity, not what some of the morons on here are saying. Same applies to all of our senior players. How would you like it if some whipper snapper took your job? Besides, both Harte and Griffin have put in good performances this season, and still have a lot to offer.

RoyalJames101
Hob Nob Regular

by RoyalJames101 » 07 Feb 2012 18:29

Ian Royal Excellent. He's got plenty about him and we play a better brand of football when he's in the side. Needs to do some improving (much like Cummings did), but he'll do a good job next season with Harte as quality cover.

Really? I seem to remember him hoofing it long whenever he got the ball? :?

Happy to be proved wrong though.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 07 Feb 2012 18:30

marcusopp You lot were queuing up to suck Harte's d1ck last season, now he's being slated!

Err no. He was "slated" vociferously for his perceived lack of pace and defensive ability last season as well.

Friday's Legacy
Hob Nob Regular

by Friday's Legacy » 07 Feb 2012 18:37

sandman
marcusopp You lot were queuing up to suck Harte's d1ck last season, now he's being slated!

Err no. He was "slated" vociferously for his perceived lack of pace and defensive ability last season as well.

he always has been, even at leeds, but what he offers offensively is why he spent most of his career in the top flight and champions league. for me he should still be first choice left back, then mills.

holsgrove breaks a leg

by holsgrove breaks a leg » 07 Feb 2012 18:42

Given that we still haven't completely solved the left back 'frailties', I am suprised that Mills has been taken on until 2014. I have never been a massive fan of Harte, but to suggest that i would be happy to have him ahead of Mills says something. I guess there is the fact that he is still young and in time could be moulded into a Cummings. From games i have seen, Mills doesn't actually seem to have the pace to burn that is suggested by other posters here, and whilst Harte's lack of concentration can lead to sloppy balls, Mills is often prone to losing posession with aimless hoofs upfield. Harte has by no means been faultless this season, he is just about doing a job defensivly but has still provided a point or three with his assists. Pre season i would definately look into purchasing a solid lb to solve our weakness in this area, perhaps see what Connolly can do in this position? Given that Mills has signed a new contract, id think its highly likely that come pre season Harte will be off, or become a member of the squad in the way Gunnarsson has this season, hopefully leaving Mills as the 2nd choice lb.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 07 Feb 2012 18:44

Wasn't offering an opinion either way. Just challenging the assertion that people are treating him differently this season to how they treated him last season.

moo
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by moo » 07 Feb 2012 18:46

Friday's Legacy
sandman

he always has been, even at leeds, but what he offers offensively is why he spent most of his career in the top flight and champions league. for me he should still be first choice left back, then mills.

Why don't we stick Kebe at left back then ?

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 07 Feb 2012 18:56

Can't put Kebe there. McAnuff has booked the spot

grey_squirrel

by grey_squirrel » 07 Feb 2012 18:59

Very much in 2 minds about this guy, so yeah on the basis his salary wont be expensive, no harm in contracting him.

Never thought that much of Harding. Still haven't even having seen him in the Southampton team and suspect he is only performing for them in a good team confidence / good team set up type mode.

If Mills is possibly one for the future (and lets hope he is not another Marcus Williams) I suspect and would like McD to give Connolly a run at LB in the interim. He's obviously worked well with Gorkks previously and is no mug so why not.

The Club should give Mills Nicky Shorey videos to watch. In fact give all our fullbacks a copy and prove the point you really dont get a nose bleed getting to the final third!

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 07 Feb 2012 19:18

grey_squirrel Very much in 2 minds about this guy, so yeah on the basis his salary wont be expensive, no harm in contracting him.

Never thought that much of Harding. Still haven't even having seen him in the Southampton team and suspect he is only performing for them in a good team confidence / good team set up type mode.

If Mills is possibly one for the future (and lets hope he is not another Marcus Williams) I suspect and would like McD to give Connolly a run at LB in the interim. He's obviously worked well with Gorkks previously and is no mug so why not.

The Club should give Mills Nicky Shorey videos to watch. In fact give all our fullbacks a copy and prove the point you really dont get a nose bleed getting to the final third!

Just don't let them see any videos of Shorey during his last few months with us! The last thing we need is that couldn't care less, mercenary, 'I'll be off to a better club come the end of the season' attitude infiltrating our squad.

I'll never forget or forgive that smug grin he gave to the North East corner when the rest of the team were fighting for our PL survival and he got given stick for his apparent lack of urgency/care.

grey_squirrel

by grey_squirrel » 07 Feb 2012 19:54

RoyalBlue
grey_squirrel Very much in 2 minds about this guy, so yeah on the basis his salary wont be expensive, no harm in contracting him.

Just don't let them see any videos of Shorey during his last few months with us! The last thing we need is that couldn't care less, mercenary, 'I'll be off to a better club come the end of the season' attitude infiltrating our squad.

I'll never forget or forgive that smug grin he gave to the North East corner when the rest of the team were fighting for our PL survival and he got given stick for his apparent lack of urgency/care.

Agreed and good point. He was all but playing for us in those days as a name on the teamsheet only.

But previously is what I obviously meant.

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 07 Feb 2012 20:17

sandman Wasn't offering an opinion either way. Just challenging the assertion that people are treating him differently this season to how they treated him last season.

He was rubbish last season and he is again this season.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 07 Feb 2012 20:58

is it something to do with the fact that harte was good last year, and this year hes lost another 5 yards of pace, hasnt been as good defensively, and been less than brilliant from his set pieces?

VibeAaron

by VibeAaron » 07 Feb 2012 21:22

Should be 1st Choice hands down

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 07 Feb 2012 22:17

mills or harte?

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 08 Feb 2012 07:44

IF we go up then i think it is a poor decision and one that i hope results in him being just back up!

pea
Hob Nob Regular

by pea » 08 Feb 2012 09:41

holsgrove breaks a leg From games i have seen, Mills doesn't actually seem to have the pace to burn that is suggested by other posters here.

Well he kept up with Zaha at Palace which is good enough for me. He was starting to look like a good left back until he got injured, was one of our best players in some of those matches. I think he just needs game time to get the consistency that the rest of our defence has got (and remember that it took Pearce and Cummings some time to get to that point too)