Would you re-sign any of the 106ers?

The Prisoner
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Would you re-sign any of the 106ers?

by The Prisoner » 06 Mar 2012 12:32

MURTS!

Cobi
Hob Nob Regular

by Cobi » 06 Mar 2012 12:34

The Prisoner MURTS!

Of the players still playing...? :?

facaldaqui
Hob Nob Regular

by facaldaqui » 06 Mar 2012 12:35

I'd have Sidwell and Long, but not Shorey or Doyle. I didn't like Shorey's attitude at the back end of his time with us, same with Hunt. Doyle lost his touch before he left us--if he'd kept up his normal scoring rate after Christmas we'd've gone up, but he couldn't score for toffees. Watching him for Wolves, it strikes me that he's unlikely to be a prolific striker again--I'd sign him at this level, maybe, but not prem.

I'd remind those who say this is a terrible league this year that the league was poor the year we went up.
Last edited by facaldaqui on 06 Mar 2012 12:39, edited 1 time in total.

The Prisoner
Hob Nob Regular

by The Prisoner » 06 Mar 2012 12:37

Cobi
The Prisoner MURTS!

Of the players still playing...? :?

101 Common mistakes - no 34: Assuming people could be bothered reading the OP for the T&Cs :D

And he only retired in the last week or so.

BruRoyal

by BruRoyal » 06 Mar 2012 12:55

I would take Sidwell back in the centre for us. And possibly Shorey as a back up/experienced player to help out.

But I reckon Doyle is past it now, he had his glory with us, Wolves have now broken him.

pea
Hob Nob Regular

by pea » 06 Mar 2012 13:03

Optimist Aaron Brown.

Saw the other day that he'd signed for Preston, I'd assumed he'd faded into non-league football but pleased to see he's made it as a professional.

Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

by Simon's Church » 06 Mar 2012 13:04

Kitson and Lita for the lolz

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 06 Mar 2012 13:21

Out of the 3 would go for sid and we need to go for the sig if we go up

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 06 Mar 2012 13:43

In my opinion you should never go back so no. The only exception would be the Sig - who should never have left and I would welcome back with open arms.

facaldaqui
Hob Nob Regular

by facaldaqui » 06 Mar 2012 13:53

loyalroyal4life Out of the 3 would go for sid and we need to go for the sig if we go up

Even though I'd have Sidwell back if we go up, I'd have to add that I doubt he's the player he was. He's had injuries, and he doesn't keep a place in any prem team these days. The Reading championship winners were above all a team, which may be why none of them have ever truly made it at prem level ... never again were they to be part of such a smooth-running machine as that which finished 8th in the prem for us. I think if Sidwell joined us after a promotion, he'd probably be in and out the team here, same as he's been elsewhere at that level recently. Be handy asset, though.

who are ya?
Hob Nob Regular

by who are ya? » 06 Mar 2012 13:54

Ginger Sid

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 06 Mar 2012 13:55

facaldaqui
loyalroyal4life Out of the 3 would go for sid and we need to go for the sig if we go up

Even though I'd have Sidwell back if we go up, I'd have to add that I doubt he's the player he was. He's had injuries, and he doesn't keep a place in any prem team these days. The Reading championship winners were above all a team, which may be why none of them have ever truly made it at prem level ... never again were they to be part of such a smooth-running machine as that which finished 8th in the prem for us. I think if Sidwell joined us after a promotion, he'd probably be in and out the team here, same as he's been elsewhere at that level recently. Be handy asset, though.

He'd fit into our central midfield style and possibly add a few goals too. I'd take an available Midfield of

Sigurdsson / Cywka
Karacan / Tabb
Leigterwood / Sidwell

For example.

facaldaqui
Hob Nob Regular

by facaldaqui » 06 Mar 2012 14:01

Ian Royal
facaldaqui

He'd fit into our central midfield style and possibly add a few goals too. I'd take an available Midfield of

Sigurdsson / Cywka
Karacan / Tabb
Leigterwood / Sidwell

For example.

How many of those could hack it at prem level, though? Sigurdsson, yes--but he's looking worth about 12 million at the moment. :cry: Sidwell, yes. Tabb, I'd say, definitely not. Leigertwood would be good in a relegation fight, but could he operate at a higher level of the prem?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 06 Mar 2012 14:05

With the right players around them I'd say all of them could hack it for short spells at least. Obviously Sid and Sig, then one of Legs and Karacan alongside them would work fine IMO. Certainly to finish 12-17th.

Tabb is the weaker link, but tbh he'd be behind Sidwell, Legs and Karacan, so would only start if you had two injuries at once from those three.

I wouldn't like to see Legs and Jem without someone like Sigurdsson ahead of them as we'd never have the ball, struggle to build enough decent attacks and get punished by better finishers more often.

RockheadRumple

by RockheadRumple » 06 Mar 2012 14:06

Cobi Kevin Doyle - Only because we wont be able to get Long back.

I suppose this begs the question then (and apologies for bringing the thread off-topic): Who would you rather have; Long or Doyle?

On an actually related note, I'd bring back Sidwell from that list. Convey or Little if they still played.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 06 Mar 2012 14:07

RockheadRumple

I suppose this begs the question then (and apologies for bringing the thread off-topic): Who would you rather have; Long or Doyle?

On an actually related note, I'd bring back Sidwell from that list. Convey or Little if they still played.

Long. And if anyone wants to say "I told you so" go right ahead. Long has come on leaps and bounds and Doyle has stagnated. He needed to go to a Villa, Everton or similar a season or so ago.

RockheadRumple

by RockheadRumple » 06 Mar 2012 14:16

Ian Royal
RockheadRumple

Long. And if anyone wants to say "I told you so" go right ahead. Long has come on leaps and bounds and Doyle has stagnated. He needed to go to a Villa, Everton or similar a season or so ago.

Agreed.

YateleyRoyal
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Either screwing or working, so the grind don't stop

by YateleyRoyal » 06 Mar 2012 14:32

RockheadRumple

Convey is still only 28 and is doing fairly well back in the MLS.....

Ark Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Ark Royal » 06 Mar 2012 15:12

Definitely Sidders, Doyler and Blakey. Would also be IN for a 94/95 Simon Osborn.

JIM

by JIM » 06 Mar 2012 15:18

No. this is a new era.