North Stand - a heartfelt plea from a fellow fan

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

Re: North Stand - a heartfelt plea from a fellow fan

by Gordons Cumming » 08 Mar 2012 12:12

pea
William Oddie On this point, i would like to point out that the stewarding in the North Stand is beyond a joke. I am in no way saying this is the sole reason due to the lack of atmosphere, but on several occasions this season i have seen the stewards approach fans for even attempting to stand and sing. It makes no sense whatsoever as it couldnt be any further away from away fans or inciting trouble. There is definately a zero tolerance policy in operation from the stewards and i would love to no why. I was watching the Coventry fans at the game a few weeks ago and it was almost as if the stewards were scared to even look at them, hence why the issues arose at the end. There is definately a conflict in interests between the stewarding approaches around the ground.

(just making this point on this thread as it is going some way to limiting the atmosphere in the north stand at the minute)

+1

Not being a season ticket holder I sit in different stands each game and it is so much stricter in the North Stand. If everyones singing then its fine but if its just a couple trying to get it going then the stewards apply librarian standards and have words with people for disturbing others. Had a bizarre moment in the West Ham game where one guy was getting told he would be taken out if he swore again in the North Stand whilst the whole of the East Stand was chanting w*nker at a West Ham player (probably Collison).

I'm surprised pea.

That's a bit nieve I'm afraid.

It's much, much easier to control home fans than away fans. Do I need to give a reason?

You think it's acceptable to swear in what is known as the "family" stand............Or anywhere for that matter?
I've seen many fans (especially women self policing in the North) Scary :shock:
I think it's fine to get a bit passionate and rant abit, but self control must also accompany it.

"oh it's a bl**dy football match for crying out loud" I hear someone call...............So?

Go on, shoot me down. :wink:
Last edited by Gordons Cumming on 08 Mar 2012 12:13, edited 1 time in total.

Cobi
Hob Nob Regular

by Cobi » 08 Mar 2012 12:13

East Grinstead Royal A guy who sits two rows behind me in the North was taken ill on Tuesday, surrounded by paramedics at the final whistle. He's certainly been one of the more vocal supporters in my vicinity, although his attitude towards Rodgers always annoyed me. Anyway, I hope he's OK, will wish him well on Saturday... if he's still with us. :(

Is that three home games in a row now that someone has been rushed to hospital?

I wonder if we can match our league form?

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 08 Mar 2012 12:13

The Rouge I have sat in Y26 and got fed up with the mini gorillas singing the same anti-X team songs every week, I have sat in Y19 and got fed up with the drummer - not my kind of atmosphere. I have sat in the North and enjoy it when the play is down that end but got fed up that you can't tactically see what is going on and the fact I was urging people to shoot from 35 yards when I thought it was 18 (and the drummer).

I find Y23 gives me the best balance as you get some singing and not too close to the mindless - X are shit but they are better than you crap. That said it is not a good atmosphere (normally).

Are you referring to when you sit with me? I agree the rest of the idiots sat around us are too busy telling us the Arsenal score or wetting themselves because the oppo have got the ball. I like the seats we're in though.

Croydon Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Croydon Royal » 08 Mar 2012 12:18

Agree with a lot of what's been said so far. I've sat in the North stand for about 10 years now too and this is definitely the worst season for atmosphere so far. I put a lot of it down to the fact that this season they've moved the school trips into this stand - particularly the last few matches I've found it hard to really get into the game when you've got kids climbing all over the seats around you, mucking about and generally doing anything but watching the game. And as the parents are coming just to look after their kids they're contributing to the problem by spending the whole time talking crap and checking their phones to see how Man Utd are getting on. It's like sitting in a creche, and the atmosphere is slowly mirroring that.

I sit in the North Stand for the exact reasons a lot of other people on here state - I like the view, especially when we're attacking the North stand goal in the second half in search of a winner, and I've made a lot of friends around there (basically the group of us who were there before the Premier League 1-year season ticket holders came and remain after they buggered off). But I'm also considering moving away for the first time next year to the East. When trying to book a ticket for the Blackpool game for a friend (speaking of which, when I tried to get the seat that's almost always free next to me in B18 I was told that whole block was booked, so looks like the kids will be back for that) the Ticket Office said that B17 and B18 will continue to be used for the family and school trips next year, and I'm not sure I can put up with it.

I fully admit that I'm never the first to start a chant, and don't have much time for all the Y26 posturing that goes on (I'm not having a go at the guys that enjoy that - I just go to football for different reasons). But I'll always get involved with the singing and feel passionate about my club. The new vibe around the North Stand has even made that seem impossible.

Blue_White_Blood

by Blue_White_Blood » 08 Mar 2012 12:20

This has come up so many times, to be honest ReadingFc are watched by many people who also "support other clubs" now you can read all my posts about how I feel about the atmosphere at the stadium and something needs to change very soon, now I use to sit in the north stand a few rows in front of the drummer and thought to my self this is great but after a while I got fed up that fellow "supporters" weren't joining in, so I moved to y26 and at first couldn't be of been happier surrounded by like minded people who wanted to support the team vocally.

I sit a couple of rows from the back in y26 and to be fair its getting a bit stupid now we all need to come up with a solution to this problem!! we are pushing for automatic promotion
and the atmosphere is dead!!!

A few years ago myself and some like minded fans tried to sort something out and to be fair people just laughed at us, we were in the local newspaper about how we wanted to turn the atmosphere around and it didn't succeed, now there must be people all over the stadium that are like me and very passionate about supporting the boys on the pitch, but it just seems people are scared to do anything about it!!

Now I will be the 1st to admit im not a natural leader, but if someone wanted to take the lead I would be more than willing to help!!! just get in contact with me, like i said read my posts about how I feel.

Not everyone will like what I have said and to honest I don't care if you don't like don't respond!!

Y26, Standing, Singing, Supporting

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 08 Mar 2012 12:27

BWB

You could think about supporting Portsmouth. Their fans seem quite passionate. :wink: .........and vocal.

M-U-R-T-Y
Hob Nob Regular

by M-U-R-T-Y » 08 Mar 2012 12:28

Anyone remember that brass band that sat in front of the drummer one time?

Think it was against Rotherham circa 2003. (I remember being 3-0 up at HT?)

William Oddie

by William Oddie » 08 Mar 2012 12:31

I'm surprised pea.

It's much, much easier to control home fans than away fans. Do I need to give a reason?

You think it's acceptable to swear in what is known as the "family" stand............Or anywhere for that matter?
I think it's fine to get a bit passionate and rant abit, but self control must also accompany it.

"oh it's a bl**dy football match for crying out loud" I hear someone call...............So?

Go on, shoot me down. :wink:[/quote]

Where did anyone mention that swearing was involved? a bit naive to presume? It is genuinly any form of passion being shown is pounced straight on by the stewards.

There is no point complaining about the home atmosphere between the east and north stands because we cant even get 1,500 people all in the same stand at Millwall to sing together!

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 08 Mar 2012 12:33

Crowthorne Royal Dear North Stand fans,

Like me you enjoy being behind the goal at Reading. Close to the action, enjoying the scorers giving it the big one when they've scored and running to us for adulation. Love it.

We also enjoy the 'civilised' environment where we can support our team in a positive way without having to get embroiled in vitriolic chanting at the opposing fans. Y26 crew this is no offence to you, you do what you do and enjoy supporting your team in a different way to us.

However! The singing and chanting and general enthusiastic support of our highly performing team is becoming NON EXISTENT and I for one am now becoming increasingly despondent with the lack of atmosphere that we are creating.....or not creating!!

I love my team and am absolutely 'Reading till I die' & I want to sing about that positively without aggression, with passion.

Our friend the drummer must sometimes wonder whether it's all worth it. He's even had to steep so low that he plays that ridiculous 'samba chant' that has no place at The Mad Stad..........not his fault though no bugger is singing or chanting when he drums the usual chants.

So, come on Royals fans in The North Stand our team look like they could go up this year, they absolutely need our support and we need just to offer a bit more than we are today. It wouldn't take too many of us to change this situation and get The North rocking again.

Be loud and be proud. Looking forward to Leicester and a big crowd.......Let's hear you :!: :!: :!:

pLOLea.

M8, Reading fans are mainly middle-class dullards from the commuter-belt provinces and generally are as wet as an Iceberg lettuce. With the club openly promoting a convivial family atmosphere (ie. sit on your bum and clap with the drum) you have no hope whatsoever.

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 08 Mar 2012 12:36

William Oddie I'm surprised pea.

Where did anyone mention that swearing was involved? a bit naive to presume? It is genuinly any form of passion being shown is pounced straight on by the stewards.

There is no point complaining about the home atmosphere between the east and north stands because we cant even get 1,500 people all in the same stand at Millwall to sing together![/quote]

Watford North Stand did - Page 1

HTH

pea
Hob Nob Regular

by pea » 08 Mar 2012 12:43

Gordons Cumming I'm surprised pea.

Not at all, but the approach taken by the stewards was completely unnecessarily. The guy only said it loud enough so he friend next to him could hear, my mate on the other side of me said he didn't even hear him but the steward was right in front of him. There were no children anywhere near us and yet he was threatening to kick him out for one moment of passion. Its not like he was swearing all game, tbh it just got the guy more wound up and then he spent the next ten minutes ranting about the stewards.

On the flip side, I did give someone the evils when I was sat in the North before and ended up surrounded by some under 8s sports team and he swore completely unnecessary. The kids in that stand are worth it just for the lols when they sing the highest pitch version of Federici's song I've ever heard...

Warfield North Stand

by Warfield North Stand » 08 Mar 2012 12:45

Gordons Cumming

There is no point complaining about the home atmosphere between the east and north stands because we cant even get 1,500 people all in the same stand at Millwall to sing together!

HTH[/quote]

But my point was I didn't!!!!!!!!

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 08 Mar 2012 12:54

It is obvious that more segregation is required.

1. Family stand where the kids can be a pain and the air is never blue.
2. Singers stand where the yobs and generally noisy oxf*rd can stick together and create the atmosphere they crave.
3. Waiting for God stand where the paramedics can be given priority access.
4. The normal person's stand.

4 would have 3 times as many seats as the rest added together.

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 08 Mar 2012 13:02

pea
Gordons Cumming I'm surprised pea.

Not at all, but the approach taken by the stewards was completely unnecessarily. The guy only said it loud enough so he friend next to him could hear, my mate on the other side of me said he didn't even hear him but the steward was right in front of him. There were no children anywhere near us and yet he was threatening to kick him out for one moment of passion. Its not like he was swearing all game, tbh it just got the guy more wound up and then he spent the next ten minutes ranting about the stewards.

On the flip side, I did give someone the evils when I was sat in the North before and ended up surrounded by some under 8s sports team and he swore completely unnecessary. The kids in that stand are worth it just for the lols when they sing the highest pitch version of Federici's song I've ever heard...

I think in the North Stand most of the stewards are fine. There are exceptions or 2.................1 is a supervisor. :wink:

rob the royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rob the royal » 08 Mar 2012 13:10

maybe we should just give up on the north stand.

Anyone that wants to sing just come in the East - I know it's been said before and people say but I like where I'm sitting blah blah, but if you don't want to move to the East (for whatever reason) then I guess you'll just have to put up with it.

To be fair the whole ground is quiet these days... it's tragic.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 08 Mar 2012 13:16

Iceberg lettuces are quite crispy and not limp or wet, but other than that, I agree with Floyd.

URZZ
Hob Nob Regular

by URZZ » 08 Mar 2012 13:24

I personally think this is a great thread... I have always longed for more of Mad Stad to sing together. Get singing, the more that do the more will follow. People won't otherwise!!

William Oddie

by William Oddie » 08 Mar 2012 13:33

Gordons Cumming

HTH[/quote]
My point was neither myself or pea did which are the comments you were originally eluding to!!! :roll:

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 08 Mar 2012 13:34

dont see why the north stand is a family stand- would make more sense to put the kids in the west, where its already quiet, rather than kill the "atmoshphere" in the north.

if thats true about the schools etc always being put in that NE corner from now on then im seriously going to consider a move to the east- theyre getting on my nerves, dont watch the game, clamber all over the seats, then after their half time sweets its like sitting in the middle of an ADHD creche.

i have been told to stop making a noise before up there, by "fans" and stewards, and its a bit daft imo

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 08 Mar 2012 13:37

Wizard
melonhead lol at not singing cos of caring what other people around you think.

i agree crowthorne royal- its got so much worse this season. mainly to do with it being where all the plastics and day trippers , and kids football teams, and families sit when they come for their one game of the year.
you wont change it though, mabe relocate to the near end of the east stand.
im thinking of doing so

and i h8 that drummer- every time we almost get a good song started, he starts up blarmy and drowns it out

Please don't leave me alone with the fcuking kids.

I'll join in any north stand singing going on.

:lol:

alright wiz. i couldnt leave scotsmanjon anyway.

its just soul destroying sometimes, its me, you and teh man behind me singing, and everyone else jst sat on their hands.
BOOOO northstand, BOOOOO