Elm Park: Which current ground most similar?

RepressedRoyal

Re: Elm Park: Which current ground most similar?

by RepressedRoyal » 23 Mar 2012 23:39

1871 Royal
Stuka I received the following email just now:

Hi there,

I am chairman of Greenock Morton supporters trust and would be very happy to support any move to either get the clubs to arrange a pre season friendly or have some form of reciprocal fans visit. In fact I am having dinner with our board next Thursday 29 March so I would be delighted to raise the issue. We already do reciprocal visits from a group of fans in Bergamo in Italy who support Atalanta (don’t ask – no idea why!) and with West Brom fans through the connection with a number of our players who transferred and were very successful there. I should say that we are fondly thought of by Palace fans for the same reasons with a number of their “legends” having been sourced from us.

Reading are, of course, one of our English favourite clubs simply because we support anything in blue and white hoops.

Let me know if you have any ideas.

Thats pretty ace. Top work!!
Anything I can assist with I will chaps, sounds like great weekend, well done everyone, Greenock here we come! Great to have a twin team!

Emmer Green Royal

by Emmer Green Royal » 24 Mar 2012 06:08

I've just remembered another Morton connection. Mark McGhee's first professional club was Morton, 1975 to 77. (Same was true a few years earlier for Joe Jordan.)

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 24 Mar 2012 06:36

Stuka I received the following email just now:

Hi there,

I am chairman of Greenock Morton supporters trust and would be very happy to support any move to either get the clubs to arrange a pre season friendly or have some form of reciprocal fans visit. In fact I am having dinner with our board next Thursday 29 March so I would be delighted to raise the issue. We already do reciprocal visits from a group of fans in Bergamo in Italy who support Atalanta (don’t ask – no idea why!) and with West Brom fans through the connection with a number of our players who transferred and were very successful there. I should say that we are fondly thought of by Palace fans for the same reasons with a number of their “legends” having been sourced from us.

Reading are, of course, one of our English favourite clubs simply because we support anything in blue and white hoops.

Let me know if you have any ideas.

Top work Stuka!!

marcusopp

by marcusopp » 24 Mar 2012 06:45

The only way this could better is if we can field the following XI;
1.Hislop
2.Bernal
3.Kerr
4.Wdovczyk
5.Williams
6.Parkinson
7.Gilkes
8.Dillon/Osborn
9.Quinn
10.Lovell
11.Taylor
I'm definitely up for going to a random greenock home game. either last or second last game of the season. I'll wear my rfc top, of course

Dick Habbin's hairdo
Hob Nob Regular

by Dick Habbin's hairdo » 24 Mar 2012 07:12

My Mrs grew up in Wemys Bay and went to school at Greenock Academy. A few years ago when we were up there visiting her folks, I insisted on going to see Morton instead of frolicking in the Jungle watching her beloved Bhoys.

Cracking ground - and a chippy to rival that at Grimsby - immediately outside. Only thing to change is to get RFC to play in proper blue and white hoops.

Agent Balti
Hob Nob Regular

by Agent Balti » 24 Mar 2012 09:09

Rev Algenon Stickleback H
Agent Balti Sounds like a great idea to me. In the post-modern era of football love (thanks Fabrice) then I'd suggest that if Greenock or Morton or Greenock Morton, The Morts, whatever they like to be called...are contacted that a 'group' of Reading fans would love to visit their ground during a pre-season friendly, I'm sure they'd lap it up. Any money in the Scottish Football Coffers would be very welcome I'd imagine, and I don't mean that in a sarcastic way. I'm sure they'd love it...as long as we behave.

To be honest, I don't think the prospect or 30-40 Reading fans turning up for a friendly would have them overwhelmed with excitement.

Politely, and with respect, I think an 'up yours' is in order. :lol: Top work indeed, Stuka!

Y21
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Y21 » 24 Mar 2012 23:10

And you'd never guess what colour their away strip is...

I think I now have a second team.

Stooper
Hob Nob Regular

by Stooper » 25 Mar 2012 16:20

Dylan Kerr had a brief spell at Greenock too.

Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 25 Mar 2012 16:33

Agent Balti Politely, and with respect, I think an 'up yours' is in order. :lol: Top work indeed, Stuka!

:lol: yeah, maybe, although I meant the club rather than the fans. A visit from us wouldn't exectly boost Morton's "financial coffers" to any degree, although if we were premier league if we visited, it might tempt a few more locals out.

It would be a fine friendly, so I'll tempt fate and say there's no way in the world Brian McDermott would tailor his pre-season programme to suit the misty-eyed nostalgic agenda of a few dozen Reading fans.

Dave the rave

by Dave the rave » 26 Mar 2012 11:22

Stooper Greenock Morton

They even play in blue & white hoops.

That is eerie.
The spot the photo is taken from is pretty much where I stood to watch us as a 7/8 year old.

*wipes tear*

Tommy Youlden's Ears

by Tommy Youlden's Ears » 26 Mar 2012 11:50

Best thread for months.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 26 Mar 2012 11:56

Check out the badge :shock:

pea
Hob Nob Regular

by pea » 26 Mar 2012 12:06

Agent Balti Politely, and with respect, I think an 'up yours' is in order. :lol: Top work indeed, Stuka!

:lol: yeah, maybe, although I meant the club rather than the fans. A visit from us wouldn't exectly boost Morton's "financial coffers" to any degree, although if we were premier league if we visited, it might tempt a few more locals out.

It would be a fine friendly, so I'll tempt fate and say there's no way in the world Brian McDermott would tailor his pre-season programme to suit the misty-eyed nostalgic agenda of a few dozen Reading fans.

A Reading XI would be good, give some of the younger guys a run out - preferably the ones that look and play most like the 1990s players.

Greatwesternline
Hob Nob Addict

by Greatwesternline » 26 Mar 2012 13:16

The amount of similarities is a bit weird.

Both teams should play in the hoops for the friendly, would liven things up a bit me thinks.

Stuka
Hob Nob Regular

by Stuka » 26 Mar 2012 13:18

Below message from STAR:

I will be attending a management meeting at the club this week so will ask if they could take it up a game officially.

But even if they are not interested I like the idea of some link formed and will put it to the Board of STAR at our next meeting. I need to get the rest of the Board involved as this is my last year as Chairman so probably would not have the time to see this through without other support.

Great idea and thanks for the effort to get it this far.

Paula Martin
Chairman STAR

Shackleton Royal

by Shackleton Royal » 26 Mar 2012 14:35

Greatwesternline The amount of similarities is a bit weird.

Both teams should play in the hoops for the friendly, would liven things up a bit me thinks.

LOL at this ^^^

Would make things fun I guess!!