Alf

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

Alf

by Gordons Cumming » 07 Apr 2012 09:45

Is their a case for ALf starting the next game?

Top scorer now.

Controversial?

Or is he better off the bench when the opposition are tired?

Discuss..

Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Alf

by Avon Royal » 07 Apr 2012 09:47

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

1871 Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by 1871 Royal » 07 Apr 2012 09:48

Would be very harsh to drop Hunt. Playing some of his best games in a Reading shirt alongside Roberts.

Plus I would prefer to see ALF come off the bench than Hunt or Church if we were in need of a goal.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 07 Apr 2012 10:05

1871 Royal Would be very harsh to drop Hunt. Playing some of his best games in a Reading shirt alongside Roberts.

Plus I would prefer to see ALF come off the bench than Hunt or Church if we were in need of a goal.

Yep agree with that.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 07 Apr 2012 10:08

Had never been a great fan of Hunt until Roberts arrived but since then he has been a revelation.
Also he is the only striker that we have who is any good in the air so the combo with Roberts has to be our first choice.
So pleased that we have Alf to come on as sub rather than Church as his all-round game is so much better.

RobRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by RobRoyal » 07 Apr 2012 10:13

1871 Royal Would be very harsh to drop Hunt. Playing some of his best games in a Reading shirt alongside Roberts.

this is right. If McD thinks we need fresh legs then Le Fondre will start - otherwise Hunt is in the midstof his best ever form for us and must start.

Really pleased for Le Fondre yesterday. He's done ok this season but just hasn't ended up being part of our winning formula - except that a good plan B is an important part of any team's success, and he's gained us some key points so far.

Friday's Legacy
Hob Nob Regular

by Friday's Legacy » 07 Apr 2012 10:28

Hunt and Roberts is very workman like and that suits us currently, but Alf should be the next in line to come on. Not Church, and if Afobe is fit then he should get the nod ahead of Church also. Perhaps harsh on Simon but he's had plenty of chances are really doesn't have any strengths. I don't think he'll be here next season.

urz13
Hob Nob Regular
Location: The following statement is false. The previous statement is true.

by urz13 » 07 Apr 2012 10:43

Friday's Legacy Hunt and Roberts is very workman like and that suits us currently, but Alf should be the next in line to come on. Not Church, and if Afobe is fit then he should get the nod ahead of Church also. Perhaps harsh on Simon but he's had plenty of chances are really doesn't have any strengths. I don't think he'll be here next season.

Bit harsh to say Afobe instead of church when he's only had one shot in his reading career and barely touched the ball in both games he played in.

Friday's Legacy
Hob Nob Regular

by Friday's Legacy » 07 Apr 2012 11:02

urz13
Friday's Legacy Hunt and Roberts is very workman like and that suits us currently, but Alf should be the next in line to come on. Not Church, and if Afobe is fit then he should get the nod ahead of Church also. Perhaps harsh on Simon but he's had plenty of chances are really doesn't have any strengths. I don't think he'll be here next season.

Bit harsh to say Afobe instead of church when he's only had one shot in his reading career and barely touched the ball in both games he played in.

Sorry but Church is that bad. What does he give us? At least Le Fondre is a poacher. At least Afobe is fast, strong, tall and reads the game well, and clearly very highly rated by Arsenal. Simon church has none of those qualities and for me has to take a back seat if the other two are fit, and then look at things in the summer.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 07 Apr 2012 13:18

TBF to Church, both ALF's goals yesterday were typical Church goals,
horrible tap-ins from a striker who manages to be in the right place

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 07 Apr 2012 13:26

Got to be Afobe on the bench over Church, he can play two positions and is the only person that we have who could play the 'Roberts' role

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 07 Apr 2012 13:27

paultheroyal

Yep agree with that.

+1

ALF is unlucky not to be starting, and would work with Roberts, but Hunt is slightly better suited to our game plan has certainly done nothing to be dropped after building a very good partnership with Roberts.

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 07 Apr 2012 14:04

Snowball TBF to Church, both ALF's goals yesterday were typical Church goals,

True. If Church has scored those this board would be full of halfwits complaining that he just can't score real goals. Strange how it can be that Alf (quite rightly) gets credit for being in the right place to score 2 close range goals but if Church did it then he would be slated for always getting simple tap ins.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 07 Apr 2012 14:08

West Stand Man
Snowball TBF to Church, both ALF's goals yesterday were typical Church goals,

True. If Church has scored those this board would be full of halfwits complaining that he just can't score real goals. Strange how it can be that Alf (quite rightly) gets credit for being in the right place to score 2 close range goals but if Church did it then he would be slated for always getting simple tap ins.

It might be something to do with ALF being a well known poacher with a fantastic lower level scoring record. And both his goals were clearly intended. Whereas several of the goals Church has scored from that distance essentially just hit him and went in, without any direction from him. And he doesn't have a great scoring record at any level.

Friday's Legacy
Hob Nob Regular

by Friday's Legacy » 07 Apr 2012 14:22

[quote="Snowball"horrible tap-ins from a striker who manages to be in the right place[/quote]

Horrible tap-ins? You really do talk some nonsense sometimes.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 07 Apr 2012 14:27

Friday's Legacy
Snowball horrible tap-ins from a striker who manages to be in the right place

I was referring to how they are typed when Church scores them.

When Church scores goals like the two Alf got on Friday
he's just lucky and "happened to be in the right place"
and didn't do particularly well.

When Alf does the same thing, he's a brilliant goal-poacher

Ultimately, if a player gets goals consistently, he can score them with his dick, I don't care

Einstein agogo
Hob Nob Regular

by Einstein agogo » 07 Apr 2012 14:31

Snowball
Friday's Legacy
Snowball horrible tap-ins from a striker who manages to be in the right place

I was referring to how they are typed when Church scores them.

When Church scores goals like the two Alf got on Friday
he's just lucky and "happened to be in the right place"
and didn't do particularly well.

When Alf does the same thing, he's a brilliant goal-poacher

Ultimately, if a player gets goals consistently, he can score them with his dick, I don't care

I haven't seen LeFondre miss any sitters ,which church does every game.
He's also our top scorer !

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 07 Apr 2012 14:31

Ian Royal
It might be something to do with ALF being a well known poacher with a fantastic lower level scoring record. And both his goals were clearly intended. Whereas several of the goals Church has scored from that distance essentially just hit him and went in, without any direction from him. And he (CHURCH) doesn't have a great scoring record at any level.

10 League Goals at 180 minutes per Goal 2009-10 (A Goal every 2 games)
07 League Goals at 220 minutes per Goal 2011-12 (A Goal every 2.45 Games)

How is that not a good scoring record "at any level"?

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 07 Apr 2012 14:33

Einstein agogo

I haven't seen LeFondre miss any sitters ,which church does every game.
He's also our top scorer !

After yesterday, yes

BTW you have a short memory. Alf was being criticised for a fair few misses earlier in the season

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 07 Apr 2012 14:41

I prefer Alf to Church but let's get some honest and reality round here, shall we?

Prior to yesterday's game

Church was the better striker in terms of goals per minute

1,657 Minutes 7 Goals = 237 Minutes per Goal ALF
1,537 Minutes 7 Goals = 220 Minutes per Goal CHURCH

ALF has improved to a goal every 187 minutes

And just to get that in perspective, for a 46 x 90 minute game season that would be

22 Goals ALF
19 Goals CHURCH