Back from the game (or Watching Sky)

227 posts
paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Back from the game (or Watching Sky)

by paultheroyal » 14 Apr 2012 07:50

Got in at 3am! Could not get into a lot of bars after as they were checking for RG postcodes!

Amazing, just amazing! A classic smash and grab. Went mental down the front!

WE ARE GOING UP!

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 14 Apr 2012 08:06

Immense and hugely disciplined performance by Reading last night, who are now officially the Champions-elect, and we ended up with the 3 points; yes, Saints battered us etc etc, but we withstood it all with grit, determined defending (Kebe heading away a clearance in our own box!!) bags of character and a team ethic that many in the Prem, let alone the Championship, would envy.

As many have said, at 70 mins Brian made a substitution; he could have brought on Bryn to add more defensive steel and to "respect" the point, but he didn't - instead on comes ALF, and the rest is history........ absolute genius management, and the reason why Reading FC are getting promoted, and doing so - deservedly - as Champions.

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 14 Apr 2012 08:42

Unbelievable night, great build up to the game in yates in southampton before heading down to the ground. Nerves only really kicked in when in the ground but they were quickly diminished by a great ball in from kebe followed by a clinical header from Roberts!

This was our 2nd 'smash and grab' win of the week but who cares? Away team playing what was meant to be the best team in the league at home. Yes they had majority of possession but we had our chances and once again took them. Last 4 or 5 games we have looked really clinical in front of goal and am sure our stats would prove this.

Even at 1-1 i always felt we would get another and when ALF came on those thoughts were the case. Great finish for the second sending the fans into carnage.

Thought the away support was great, the home support up there with the worst i have seen all season (even worst than us at home) and thats for a team who were top of the league on brink of promotion!

The title is ours to lose now, and i hope we dont let the foot slip of the pedal and finish the job we set out to do over the next 3 games.

In Brian We Trust! Urzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

P.S ANYONE ELSE GET COVERED IN BEER AT HALFTIME DURING THE MINI RIOT IN THE TURNSTILES? :mrgreen:
Last edited by loyalroyal4life on 14 Apr 2012 09:19, edited 1 time in total.

jaycee66

by jaycee66 » 14 Apr 2012 08:51

Quote from Adkins - We gifted them 3 goals ? yeah right, so the first wasn't pure quality cross and lethal finishing!! another quote from Adkins - a good goal from Lambert? Yer it wasn't deflected was it ! yet another plank of a manger :mrgreen:

chilipepper91
Hob Nob Regular

by chilipepper91 » 14 Apr 2012 08:58

jaycee66 Quote from Adkins - We gifted them 3 goals ? yeah right, so the first wasn't pure quality cross and lethal finishing!! another quote from Adkins - a good goal from Lambert? Yer it wasn't deflected was it ! yet another plank of a manger :mrgreen:

I do love how so few managers act with humility when we perform our patented Operation Smash&Grab... The third was a gift but the first two were (dare I say it) Premier League quality.

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 14 Apr 2012 09:09

I don't think many of us would have seen that coming, I've been worried we'd falter after losing Ledge and Jem but it seems to have had the opposite effect and galvanised the team to grind out some fantastic results. Whose run in looks difficult now!

Those three goals were absolute quality, and some quality celebrations. Mental scenes.

We are as good as promoted, and a perfect result would be crowned off by Brighton beating the hammers today to set up a promotion party on Tuesday!

Stuka
Hob Nob Regular

by Stuka » 14 Apr 2012 09:09

Fantastic session at a pub in the west end with about 15 Reading fans. The old bill were called! Very good party.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 14 Apr 2012 09:19

winchester_royal Southampton were decent, but only have one way of playing which is to lump it up to Lambert.

That's nuts.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 14 Apr 2012 09:54

Hardly, their form without Lambert this season is pretty self explanatory.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 14 Apr 2012 10:01

They played excellent football last night and although Lambert is obviously the focal point of their attack, they did / do an awful lot more than "lump it up to Lambert".

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 14 Apr 2012 10:04

Well obviously it was a slight exaggeration, but personally I felt they were fairly predictable. Indeed, it was no coincidence that as soon as our defence started to get a handle on him in the second half we looked very comfortable.

LWJ
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Hobnob Prediction League Champion 2011/2012, 2020/2021

by LWJ » 14 Apr 2012 10:24

Best night ever. I love ReadingFC so much, last night summed up how we have such a strong team spirit and play for each other.

Once were Biscuitmen

by Once were Biscuitmen » 14 Apr 2012 10:30

Royal Rother They played excellent football last night and although Lambert is obviously the focal point of their attack, they did / do an awful lot more than "lump it up to Lambert".

At the end yes, but in the first half they tried to over-play if anything. Sort of like an off-form, 2nd tier Arsenal trying to walk ii into the net. There cross field balls were excellent but just not clinical enough to finish when they did get in a good position.

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 14 Apr 2012 10:31

lowerwestjnr Best night ever. I love ReadingFC so much, last night summed up how we have such a strong team spirit and play for each other.

Still can't believe it, anyone know where I can watch the game back online? Forgot to tape it on sky and it doesnt look like they are repeating it today

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 14 Apr 2012 10:38

Fantastic night!

Our back five was superb! Why can't Gorkss AND Pearce be player of the season?

Great atmosphere and mental celebrations as the 3rd went in. Being hugged by random strangers :lol:

Great scenes at half-time with the Bill Oddie. But what was all the smoke about in the concourse?

O READING WE LOVE YOU! :D

furthest flung fan

by furthest flung fan » 14 Apr 2012 10:44

I'm so happy! Watched the Southampton drama unfold on BBC Sport website from the other side of the world. Couldn't have been further from the game, but couldn't have been more involved! Brians substitution was sublime!

LWJ
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Hobnob Prediction League Champion 2011/2012, 2020/2021

by LWJ » 14 Apr 2012 10:46

loyalroyal4life
lowerwestjnr Best night ever. I love ReadingFC so much, last night summed up how we have such a strong team spirit and play for each other.

Still can't believe it, anyone know where I can watch the game back online? Forgot to tape it on sky and it doesnt look like they are repeating it today

If I wasn't skint, i'd get Reading player for it. If you can afford the subscription then get that.

Royal Farmer

by Royal Farmer » 14 Apr 2012 11:01

Went with a Saints supporting friend and had to sit in the home end, down by the corner where Roberts celebrated his header! The effort required to look happy when Lambert scored was trumped only by resourcefulness required to seem suicidal when Le Fondre performed his magic! This was especially hard when staring straight at the away end which looked and sounded bloody phenomenal!!! :D Great effort and loved the mid game changes in the 'top of the league' chant :lol:

As for the game it was a stress induced blur, but overall a fantastic away performance that highlighted the use of team spirit, work ethic and concentration over individual prowess (not that we're lacking in that either to be honest), and that our defence is bloody awesome.

Got to give a mention to the saints fans as well who, fair play to them, seemed like a decent, level headed bunch. Also, have to say that KUMB is being fairly graceful this morning. :shock:

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 14 Apr 2012 11:07

I want to type something, but can't.

So I typed this.

LoyalRoyal22
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyal22 » 14 Apr 2012 11:18

That was what being a football fan is all about, we live for those moments. Got home(Nottingham) for about 2am, mainly because it takes so long to get out off southampton after the game, was sat around for like a hour in traffic

The night will live with me forever, feel like the wembley demon is being put to bed. We are so close to promotion, but the title is still in the balance

Anyway my ratings

Feds- 9
Cummings- 7
Harte- 7
Gorkks- 7
Pearce- 7
Kebe - 8
Jobi- 6
Mullins- 6
Tabb- 6
Hunt- 7
Roberts- 8