Saints view of last nights game

138 posts
Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Saints view of last nights game

by Silver Fox » 16 Apr 2012 15:42

I'd have called him a bell-end TBF, for a man whose life is based around statistics I'm constantly amazed that he will nearly always guess that soething might have happened if a random event occured

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 17 Apr 2012 05:41

pea I think my favourite comment post-game was...

"We were a country mile better than Reading, its just that they have a good keeper, our defence was awful and they took their chances in front of goal".

So when you say 'country mile better' you mean your midfield was better than our fourth and fifth choice CMs then?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 23 Apr 2012 11:51

MmmMonsterMunch Everything swung in WHU's favour today IMO.

Maguire
MmmMonsterMunch
Maguire In so much as they won? I'd still much rather be in Southampton's boots

In so much as they clawed most of the GD issue back & Leicester lost meaning they are pretty much out of the play off hunt barring miracles now. No reason why they won't claim all 9 points now.

We'll see

MmmMonsterMunch I honestly think they will win all 3. They will thrash BC on Tue & by the end of Tue will probably have an equal / better GD than Saints. They could easily both finish on 88 & then GD decides it IMO.

Sorry m8 but I did tell you :wink:

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 23 Apr 2012 11:56

Well GUESSTIMATED Maguire.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 23 Apr 2012 11:58

:mrgreen:

royalsteve

by royalsteve » 23 Apr 2012 12:14

Friday's Legacy I do agree with one of them though - if we play backs to the wall football in the Premiership and allow teams to have 12 to 20 shots a game, we will get murdered.

We need to spend this summer as highlighted in another thread.

If Saints play that style of football next season then they will easily do a Norwich, no doubt about it. Their wing-play was superb. Lallana (sp?) was immense, and Lambert will eat teams up with service like that.

What like Liverpool?

wrong, if Saints created that many chances and play that well but dont take their chances they wont win any games like that in the Premiership especially with their abysmal defending

Saints were good going forward and their play was excellent but their defending was laughable League One standard, thats why we won - simple. Reading are clinical like most Premier League sides. Though id agree we cant give Prem sides as much ball as we did

I think Saints will do ok next season though, assuming they go up, but they need 2 decent central defenders and a decent keeper as their current central defenders and keeper are rubbish, almost as bad as West Ham's

royalsteve

by royalsteve » 23 Apr 2012 12:19

Maguire I think the Saints fans are pretty generous with their comments and probably (understandably) a little down about their teams performance when in fact they played pretty well.

Lambert was the best player on the park IMHO but they outplayed us in midfield and we really struggled to retain possession up the pitch. Thought our central midfield really struggled to get to grips with it and didn't seem to be able to control the ball let alone anything else.

Still, this promotion has been founded on a rock solid defence and once again it stood firm without too many scares (despite the barrage of shots they had). Awesome cross from Jimmy for the first and ALF doing what ALF does.

Still convinced Saints will get their deserved promotion though.

yeh but dont forget we were missing most of our midfield in Jem, Legs and Kanu so the result is even better

DK_Saint

by DK_Saint » 23 Apr 2012 19:07

Signed up just after the Saints - Reading game but only got my account ok'ed today - so it will be a rather belated congratulations from here that would have looked better just after the game ;)

I felt that Saints played a good game but were a bit frantic in front of goal - Lallana was brilliant and created a lot but could have had 50 chances without scoring. When Reading came forward they just got the business done and stuck the ball in the back of the net. Yes, Le Fondre was on fire, but Roberts really caught my eye. I thought he was just the usual Heskey-type lump of a player but I see I was quite far from the truth there.

No daylight robbery or that sorts - that would be an insult to Reading. You had a game plan, stuck to it and executed it very well. To our credit we threatened and had good spells, but ultimately the most cohesive team with least errors won the game.

Was looking forward to a final day showdown for the title, but instead we decided to battle for 2nd with West Ham instead - yay. I hope to see Saints meet Reading in the Prem next season as I have tremendous respect for the team and the manager - have a nice party on Saturday!

Ups and Downs
Hob Nob Regular
Location: the piss artist not formerly known as scutterbucket

by Ups and Downs » 23 Apr 2012 19:11

Ah that's nice.

Let's hope West Ham fail to win tonight and then you can start your own celebrations. Or would you prefer it to go to the last day and have Saturday's game actually mean something?

Friday's Legacy
Hob Nob Regular

by Friday's Legacy » 23 Apr 2012 19:15

Leicester 1 - 0 West Ham

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 23 Apr 2012 19:15

I will be mightily disappointed in you if you don't come second. I used to detest Saints, but after years of getting all the local media attention for being shit in the Premier League (irrationally bitter? I certainly was), you've done your lower league time and have come back quality IMO.

I think Adkins is a terrific manager and will do big things. I hope a few of them are with you.

Friday's Legacy
Hob Nob Regular

by Friday's Legacy » 23 Apr 2012 19:21

Friday's Legacy Leicester 1 - 0 West Ham

1-1.

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 23 Apr 2012 19:22

MmmMonsterMunch I honestly think they will win all 3. They will thrash BC on Tue & by the end of Tue will probably have an equal / better GD than Saints. They could easily both finish on 88 & then GD decides it IMO.

Sorry m8 but I did tell you :wink:[/quote]

Fat lady hasn't sung yet... :wink:

DK_Saint

by DK_Saint » 23 Apr 2012 19:36

Ups and Downs Ah that's nice.

Let's hope West Ham fail to win tonight and then you can start your own celebrations. Or would you prefer it to go to the last day and have Saturday's game actually mean something?

It's a big discussion point on Saintsweb. Me, I don't care if we do it Saturday, if Leicester hand it to us tonight or if we get it from the Skates folding before the last game of the season (ha ha ;))- we can't win the title anyway and I really don't need another nerve wrecking game Saturday.

West Ham winning by a single goal tonight will leave us two points in front with a +3 goal difference. Imagine the nerves setting in if we go until HT against Coventry without a goal and WHam is one or two up? No thanks, I'd rather live those 10 years longer...

Funny thing is the pessimism. KUMB is all about playoffs and strangely enough Saintsweb is also dreading the weekend. If both Saints and West Ham are so keen on the playoffs, maybe Birmingham will get auto promotion somehow?! :D

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 23 Apr 2012 19:58

Hmmm 2-1 now.

The Prisoner
Hob Nob Regular

by The Prisoner » 23 Apr 2012 20:00

Saints only need a point at home to Leicester. I love that this is giving West Ham hope!

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 23 Apr 2012 20:01

The Prisoner Saints only need a point at home to Leicester. I love that this is giving West Ham hope!

If West Ham get another goal then it really is game on. Saints have a lot of pressure on them & Cov have...well none.

The Prisoner
Hob Nob Regular

by The Prisoner » 23 Apr 2012 20:02

MmmMonsterMunch
The Prisoner Saints only need a point at home to Leicester. I love that this is giving West Ham hope!

If West Ham get another goal then it really is game on. Saints have a lot of pressure on them & Cov have...well none.

But Cov are BOLLOCKS!

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 23 Apr 2012 20:04

Football is a funny game. Coventry have actually been relatively good of late & they might want to give their fans one last hurrah. Never say never. Saints are properly choking..

Rex
Hob Nob Addict

by Rex » 23 Apr 2012 20:04

Rooting for an equaliser.

138 posts