Robbie Savage says.........

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Robbie Savage says.........

by Woodcote Royal » 25 Apr 2012 08:19

Chaney maybe he can take over from that dipstick Lawrenson next season.

If Lawrenson is a dipstick fcuk knows what that makes Dellor.

Well done to Robbie for showing there are commentators out there with a professional knowledge of the game who can offer something beyond narrow minded, partisan rants.

As someone who will, as usual, miss many games next season, Premiership football will offer the precious luxury of greater national coverage and a reduced reliance on local dross.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 25 Apr 2012 08:41

You're slacking Woodcote - you forgot to lever in something disparaging about Coppell in your comment. :roll:

Rev Algenon Stickleback H
Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 25 Apr 2012 08:54

Woodcote Royal

Well done to Robbie for showing there are commentators out there with a professional knowledge of the game who can offer something beyond narrow minded, partisan rants.

As someone who will, as usual, miss many games next season, Premiership football will offer the precious luxury of greater national coverage and a reduced reliance on local dross.

The difference is Dellor is a broadcaster for Reading fans, who presumably know a fair bit about the Reading team.

Lawrenson is on national tv, supposedly to offer expert analysis for the benefit of people who probably won't know that much about all the clubs.

The problem is that he doesn't know much about them either, but still feels qualified to offer an expert opinion. His opinions have about as much value as the average guy in the pub.

Actually I think we'll be tipped to do OK. Nothing to do with our ability as a team, but because Swansea and Norwich have done OK, and that logic will somehow mean we'll be OK too.

I've never quite understood why MotD needs four presenters anyway, especially as clearly none of them think actually knowing anything about a team is a prerequisite for having an expert opinion about them.

I remember Lawrenson summing up Reading's 2007 8th place finish with the insight "they have pace". Not only painfully shallow, it wasn't even right. There wasn't anyone in that team who was exceptionally quick.

They are even worse covering international football. They give a half-hour build up to every world cup game, when in reality they should just say "Welcome to this Group B match between Mexico and China. None of us here have a clue about anyone in either team, so we're going straight over to the stadium for the kick-off"

paulholsgrove

by paulholsgrove » 25 Apr 2012 09:18

Personally, I think its time the likes of Lawrenson hansen shearer gave up. Time to bring in fresh faces who have played In the modern game. Take Gary Neville, Robbie savage, and Jason Roberts for example.

exileinleeds
Hob Nob Addict

by exileinleeds » 25 Apr 2012 09:42

paulholsgrove Personally, I think its time the likes of Lawrenson hansen shearer gave up. Time to bring in fresh faces who have played In the modern game. Take Gary Neville, Robbie savage, and Jason Roberts for example.

Can't have Roberts as a current player! Good call on the other two- I think Savage has a great insight because he played for teams outside of the top 4- even league football. It must give a different perspective than one viewed from a career virtually always at a top club.
I can't imagine Savage reporting pitchside ala Keegan on Long "He would already be in the Prem if he had any pace..."

I would also like to see the views of a foreign ex-player. It is interesting that with teams (and competitions) being so international, we only let "foreigners" comment during tournaments- yet they play week in week out.

paulholsgrove

by paulholsgrove » 25 Apr 2012 10:47

Roberts was just an example because of his radio work, and for when he retires. But a foreign insight would work well, viera when he retires, or maybe a 'football funny man' to bring motd to life. Nothing worse when your team are on last, you've been on a long away trip, tired and drunk, and you have to listen through constant drivel, and lording over certain players.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 25 Apr 2012 11:01

Woodcote Royal

A passionate semi-pro who cares and does his research, but is a bit clueless. Compared to a stupid, very clueless, lazy, blinkered fool only there for a big payday.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 16 Aug 2012 16:02

Well this season, he reckons we are going to get relegated :(

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/19280434

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 16 Aug 2012 16:46

There is something about Savage's passion that makes him hard to dislike but he really is not suited to broadcasting. Completely inarticulate with the vocabulary of a pre-teen; most of the time I just want him to STFU.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 16 Aug 2012 16:48

TBM Well this season, he reckons we are going to get relegated :(

Has he forgotten he's supposed to be a Reading fan? Judas pcunt.

Ups and Downs
Hob Nob Regular
Location: the piss artist not formerly known as scutterbucket

by Ups and Downs » 16 Aug 2012 16:50

How could he turn his back on us like this?

The Rouge
Hob Nob Regular

by The Rouge » 16 Aug 2012 16:52

Royal Rother There is something about Savage's passion that makes him hard to dislike but he really is not suited to broadcasting. Completely inarticulate with the vocabulary of a pre-teen; most of the time I just want him to STFU.

But at least he says what he thinks (and gives reasons behind it) rather than coming up with cliches repeated ad nauseum... - well worth a listen in my book.

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 16 Aug 2012 17:17

Who cares what the pundits think about what we'll do, the more that tip us for relegation the better. That way there's no pressure on us and we can all relax to a degree.

Girdler_Massive

by Girdler_Massive » 16 Aug 2012 17:53

Pepe the Horseman
TBM Well this season, he reckons we are going to get relegated :(

Has he forgotten he's supposed to be a Reading fan? Judas pcunt.

Can he not just button up that bloody shirt!

windermere_royal
Hob Nob Regular

by windermere_royal » 16 Aug 2012 18:03

Live discussion tonight from the madstad on 5 live tonight, 7.30 featuring Hammond, McD, Jason Roberts, John Motson, Robbie Savage and Mick McCarthy. :shock:

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 16 Aug 2012 18:09

windermere_royal Live discussion tonight from the madstad on 5 live tonight, 7.30 featuring Hammond, McD, Jason Roberts, John Motson, Robbie Savage and Mick McCarthy. :shock:

Hopefully J-Rob will lay the nut on Sav

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 16 Aug 2012 20:42

The Rouge
Royal Rother There is something about Savage's passion that makes him hard to dislike but he really is not suited to broadcasting. Completely inarticulate with the vocabulary of a pre-teen; most of the time I just want him to STFU.

But at least he says what he thinks (and gives reasons behind it) rather than coming up with cliches repeated ad nauseum... - well worth a listen in my book.

"Sam Allardyce was so fairly uncriticised last season...."

I do kind of agree with what you say, but I do find him very hard to listen to as his sentences just don't make any sense most of the time, and half the time are left unfinished.

Jay o/

by Jay o/ » 16 Aug 2012 21:54

He made a good point tonight. The Madejski Stadium is too nice a place to come. The fans aren't very boisterious, the scenery is nice, nice pitch etc.. Big clubs will come here and feel very comfortable.

But you try and sing and make things a bit more unwelcoming for the opposition fans and players, and the stewards get into over-drive.

So what can we do? :roll:

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 16 Aug 2012 22:09

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=114673&start=20

Already made my more point on it on the thread linked above ^

The club is so focussed on pandering to families that it risks alienating its hardcore, tbh.

thirtyyarder

by thirtyyarder » 16 Aug 2012 23:54

Jay o/ He made a good point tonight. The Madejski Stadium is too nice a place to come. The fans aren't very boisterious, the scenery is nice, nice pitch etc.. Big clubs will come here and feel very comfortable.

They said the same thing last time, and we did ok, even against the bigger teams.

That said, I know we have a weaker team in terms of quality now, however I do think we have a sneakier team in terms of sheer dastardlyness.