Premier League squad rules & how they may affect us

283 posts
Friday's Legacy
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Brian

by Friday's Legacy » 26 Apr 2012 17:45

Cape Town Royal
Friday's Legacy
Cape Town Royal Gylfi - I'd love to see him back, but what does everyone thing the chances are??

Zero! Or do you have £10m and in excess of £40k a week to cover it?

Do you think Swansea can? or he will go higher?

Of course they can't. He will go top 6 with ease.

Libertine
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Connecticut...aka "The Fifth Ring of Hell" & Prediction League Champion 2015/2016

by Libertine » 26 Apr 2012 17:50

I don't think it'll be Gylfi :cry: but I do think one of our signings will be a £10m and in excess of £40k a week player, either a CM or striker I would guess. The rest will be very sensible signings who fit in well with the club's current ethos.

Cape Town Royal

by Cape Town Royal » 26 Apr 2012 17:52

Old Biscuitman
Handsome Man I hope that's the maximum: Three first teamers and a bit of cover would be good.

I want to see the Reading team I supported last year in the Prem, not a whole new team.

Agreed HM. Keep the powder dry for now. Give most of the players who got the club there a first chance.

Ditto this.. I'd hate to see us signing journeyman premier league not that goods such as Anton Ferdinand at inflated wages. Its almost become an obsession for some managers to sign these players who are supposedly premier league players, but when you look back at their careers have never really set the league alight at any of the 3-4 clubs they have played for and tends to explain why the clubs they have played for are all relegated or strugglers...

Ally the number of moves to the financial security they must have and that must take 5-10% of their drive and ambition to succeed and probably explains why they are always signed by clubs at the wrong end of the league / new clubs who thing they need that 'experience'...

Give me ambitious / hungry to succeed players any day...

RFCUK

by RFCUK » 26 Apr 2012 17:52

urz13 Anyway that'll be Bertrand, Clyne, Connolly, Gylfi, Zaha and then a striker :wink:
Luuurvley

THIS!!

tomrfcurz
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Brian - new signings

by tomrfcurz » 26 Apr 2012 18:11

Lets start the predictions then...

Connolly, Mullins, Zaha, Clyne, Butterfield

Ark Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Ark Royal » 26 Apr 2012 18:16

Clyne and Zaha would be cracking signings.

As much as I would love Sig back in the hoops, I think that his performances for Swansea have priced him beyond our reach. He is now worth a lot more than the 6m Hoffenheim paid for him.

Mullins? Connolly? No thanks.

Bertrand? I think we will get more reward with Harte and his ability at set pieces. They will be priceless in the Prem when chances will be fewer and far between.

Mike Hunt
Hob Nob Regular

by Mike Hunt » 26 Apr 2012 18:16

urz13 Anyway that'll be Bertrand, Clyne, Connolly, Gylfi, Zaha and then a striker :wink:
Luuurvley

That would be 6 :?:

McDermott did say only 1 midfielder, didn't he?

Mike Hunt
Hob Nob Regular

by Mike Hunt » 26 Apr 2012 18:17

Ark Royal Clyne and Zaha would be cracking signings.

As much as I would love Sig back in the hoops, I think that his performances for Swansea have priced him beyond our reach. He is now worth a lot more than the 6m Hoffenheim paid for him.

Bertrand? I think we will get more reward with Harte and his ability at set pieces. They will be priceless in the Prem when chances will be fewer and far between.

Agree re Harte. Hearte and Pearce could be a lethal combination in the Prem at set pieces.

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 26 Apr 2012 18:20

Old Biscuitman
Handsome Man I hope that's the maximum: Three first teamers and a bit of cover would be good.

I want to see the Reading team I supported last year in the Prem, not a whole new team.

Agreed HM. Keep the powder dry for now. Give most of the players who got the club there a first chance.

Fcuk that! I want to see the team MOST likely to keep us up. Loyalty to players previously got us nowhere. If they aint good enough they shouldn't be playing! Simple!

In Brian we trust!

tomrfcurz
Hob Nob Regular

by tomrfcurz » 26 Apr 2012 18:20

Ark Royal Clyne and Zaha would be cracking signings.

Understand what you're saying here but how much do we know about our other players' set pieces? Someone could step in and have just as good a delivery. Eg new signings could have a decent shot / delivery from FKs on them.

For me, its too big of a risk to lose goals at one end if Harte gets caught out just on the off chance we'll get more from set pieces at the other. I'd rather have Bertrand who is defensively better and also better at going forward and joining in with an open play attack than Harte is.

Not slating Harte at all. Deserves a new contract and i guess deserves his shot at the PL with us but i would much prefer perhaps another LB, Bertrand being the ideal i think.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 26 Apr 2012 18:40

Hopefully we'll be looking at 2 defenders, 2 midfielders and 1 striker.

Wish list: Clyne, Davies, Zaha, Butterfield, Icelandic bloke at Lillestrom

Predict: Bridge, Connolly, Sutter, Mullins, Doyle

Basingstoke-Royal

by Basingstoke-Royal » 26 Apr 2012 18:57

I would like to see us sign Whittingham and Bertrand/Clyne. Whittingham could step in for Kebe who is a bit to inconsistent for the prem but would be a good impact sub. That way we would be defensivley stronger without loosing out on set pieces as Whittingham's set pieces are awesome

Friday's Legacy
Hob Nob Regular

by Friday's Legacy » 26 Apr 2012 19:01

Basingstoke-Royal I would like to see us sign Whittingham and Bertrand/Clyne. Whittingham could step in for Kebe who is a bit to inconsistent for the prem but would be a good impact sub. That way we would be defensivley stronger without loosing out on set pieces as Whittingham's set pieces are awesome

Couldn't agree more re: Whittingham. Cardiff wont let him go cheap though.

Mike Hunt
Hob Nob Regular

by Mike Hunt » 26 Apr 2012 19:04

Friday's Legacy
Basingstoke-Royal I would like to see us sign Whittingham and Bertrand/Clyne. Whittingham could step in for Kebe who is a bit to inconsistent for the prem but would be a good impact sub. That way we would be defensivley stronger without loosing out on set pieces as Whittingham's set pieces are awesome

Lets entertain the thought if Whittingham once Cardiff do their Annual Play-off job.

Big Ern
Hob Nob Regular

by Big Ern » 26 Apr 2012 19:18

Friday's Legacy

Or at all if they promoted.

Hard to predict who will come in as we have no idea of what money is available. Mullins may not be consdiered good enough, and Connolly may be required at QPR if they go down.

Basingstoke-Royal

by Basingstoke-Royal » 26 Apr 2012 19:21

"Reading manager gives his views on a possible return for Gylfi. Story going up tomorrow."

In the papers tomorrow apparently
Last edited by Basingstoke-Royal on 26 Apr 2012 19:25, edited 1 time in total.

urz13
Hob Nob Regular
Location: The following statement is false. The previous statement is true.

by urz13 » 26 Apr 2012 19:24

Mike Hunt
Luuurvley

Yes but I think we need another winger. I didnt see the interview ao not sure what was or wasnt said.

On Gylfi, we assume he'll be going to the top 6, and FL thinks £10m is too much but consider this:
He's only had half a season in the premiership, not really long enough if you ask me and the majority of his games have come against lower league sides. I'm not sure someone would want to gamble £10m on someone who, let's face it, would be on the bench at an arsenal or tottenham. His attitude was questioned at Hoffenheim which may put clubs off. I had another thing to say but I've forgotten it :oops:

Big Ern
Hob Nob Regular

by Big Ern » 26 Apr 2012 19:25

Basingstoke-Royal Reading manager gives his views on a possible return for Gylfi. Story going up tomorrow.

In the papers tomorrow apparently

Probably will be along the lines of "Would love him back but will end up going to a top 6 side if he moves at all."

Big Ern
Hob Nob Regular

by Big Ern » 26 Apr 2012 19:29

urz13
Mike Hunt
Luuurvley

Yes but I think we need another winger. I didnt see the interview ao not sure what was or wasnt said.

Start of the thread mate where it says "5 Signings"

Kind of suggests there will be 5, even if you believe we need another winger, somehow I dont think your éxcitable opinion will have any bearing on Reading FC´s transfer policy.

urz13
Hob Nob Regular
Location: The following statement is false. The previous statement is true.

by urz13 » 26 Apr 2012 19:30

Disagree re: Kebe. He'll have more time on the ball and should only have one defender on him in the prem so won't be forced into bad decision as often. He's improved greatly since his last time in the prem too.

283 posts