RUMOUR - Jermaine Defoe

725 posts
Geekins
Hob Nob Regular

Re: RUMOUR - Jermaine Defoe

by Geekins » 23 May 2012 11:25

leww_rfc getreading hinting this is our big signing.. so when he joins Sunderland, everyone applaud.

Link?

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 23 May 2012 11:29

http://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/footb ... reading_fc

DIRECTOR of football Nick Hammond hasn’t ruled out Reading making a big-name signing this summer.

Sources close to the club have told the Reading Post that Royals do have a genuine interest in Tottenham Hotspur and England striker Jermain Defoe, while Liverpool midfielder Joe Cole, who spent last season on loan at Lille, has also been linked with a move to Madejski Stadium.

Hammond and manager Brian McDermott have already brought in winger Garath McCleary on a free transfer from Nottingham Forest and they will no doubt want a prolific striker signed up for the Premier League campaign next season to bolster their chances of survival.

Hammond said: “If we sign a big-name player for the right reasons, then great.

“With the new owner that we have coming in I’m sure we will be linked with some big names too.

“And if we sign someone who isn’t on anyone else’s radar and they’re right for us, then that’s great also.”

Defoe’s £60,000-per-week wages could prove difficult for Reading.

And with Harry Redknapp’s Spurs losing out on a £35million windfall in the Champions League, it is unlikely they would sell an international of his calibre on the cheap.

“I’ve never said I want to leave, I’ve just said I want to play,” said 29-year-old Defoe, who is likely to be in demand from clubs all over Europe.

“As a forward you just want to get some sort of rhythm and a run in the team. That wasn’t the case towards the end of the season.

“I’m just going to see what happens. I’m going to concentrate on England and Euro 2012. The most important thing for me is scoring goals and that’s when I’m at my happiest.”

And although Anton Zingarevich’s £25million buyout of Reading has still not been approved by the Premier League – with the fit and proper person’s test still ongoing – Hammond is confident that any transfer activity won’t be affected.

“I don’t anticipate that,” added Hammond when asked if the delayed deal could cause Royals problems in the market.

“Me and Brian have spoken at length with Anton and Sir John Madejski over the past few weeks and hopefully the takeover should be sorted soon.”

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 23 May 2012 11:36

TBM http://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/football/readingfc/s/2114211_hammond__big_stars_could_join_reading_fc

DIRECTOR of football Nick Hammond hasn’t ruled out Reading making a big-name signing this summer.

Sources close to the club have told the Reading Post that Royals do have a genuine interest in Tottenham Hotspur and England striker Jermain Defoe, while Liverpool midfielder Joe Cole, who spent last season on loan at Lille, has also been linked with a move to Madejski Stadium.

Hammond and manager Brian McDermott have already brought in winger Garath McCleary on a free transfer from Nottingham Forest and they will no doubt want a prolific striker signed up for the Premier League campaign next season to bolster their chances of survival.

Hammond said: “If we sign a big-name player for the right reasons, then great.

“With the new owner that we have coming in I’m sure we will be linked with some big names too.

“And if we sign someone who isn’t on anyone else’s radar and they’re right for us, then that’s great also.”

Defoe’s £60,000-per-week wages could prove difficult for Reading.

And with Harry Redknapp’s Spurs losing out on a £35million windfall in the Champions League, it is unlikely they would sell an international of his calibre on the cheap.

“I’ve never said I want to leave, I’ve just said I want to play,” said 29-year-old Defoe, who is likely to be in demand from clubs all over Europe.

“As a forward you just want to get some sort of rhythm and a run in the team. That wasn’t the case towards the end of the season.

“I’m just going to see what happens. I’m going to concentrate on England and Euro 2012. The most important thing for me is scoring goals and that’s when I’m at my happiest.”

And although Anton Zingarevich’s £25million buyout of Reading has still not been approved by the Premier League – with the fit and proper person’s test still ongoing – Hammond is confident that any transfer activity won’t be affected.

“I don’t anticipate that,” added Hammond when asked if the delayed deal could cause Royals problems in the market.

“Me and Brian have spoken at length with Anton and Sir John Madejski over the past few weeks and hopefully the takeover should be sorted next week.”

Quote corrected for you.

phil in cornwall

by phil in cornwall » 23 May 2012 19:57

Norfolk Royal
TBM http://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/football/readingfc/s/2114211_hammond__big_stars_could_join_reading_fc

“Me and Brian have spoken at length with Anton and Sir John Madejski over the past few weeks and hopefully the takeover should be sorted next week.”

Quote corrected for you.

Me and Brian....

Corrected .....?

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 24 May 2012 05:56

So all those quotes really say, is that we'll only sign the right players for Reading regardless of if they are "big names"or not. So no real change to our transfer policy then.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 24 May 2012 09:10

except before even if a big player was right for us, we wouldnt have been able to sign him

HoneyRoastHoax
Hob Nob Regular

by HoneyRoastHoax » 28 May 2012 13:58

Latest Transfer News ‏@BigMoneyMoves

Jermain Defoe has been linked with Reading Fc but wage demands seem to be a stalling point, possible loan deal is on cards #readingfc #THFC

Interesting veeerrry interesting

Geekins
Hob Nob Regular

by Geekins » 28 May 2012 13:59

HoneyRoastHoax Latest Transfer News ‏@BigMoneyMoves

Jermain Defoe has been linked with Reading Fc but wage demands seem to be a stalling point, possible loan deal is on cards #readingfc #THFC

Me like a lot.

YateleyRoyal
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Either screwing or working, so the grind don't stop

by YateleyRoyal » 28 May 2012 14:01

As has been said before, I doubt this will happen until Spurs keep Adebayor, sign another striker and extend Saha's contract...

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 28 May 2012 14:03

HoneyRoastHoax Latest Transfer News ‏@BigMoneyMoves

Been very accurate in the past

6 Feb Latest Transfer News Latest Transfer News ‏@BigMoneyMoves

UPDATE: Reading Fc look to sign Owen Hargreaves on loan from Manchester City as soon as the loan market re -opens #readingfc #MCFC

31 Jan Latest Transfer News Latest Transfer News ‏@BigMoneyMoves

MARVIN SORDELL TO READING FC! This just in! #readingfc #watfordfc

31 Jan Latest Transfer News Latest Transfer News ‏@BigMoneyMoves

Swansea are set to make a £3.5m move for Reading's welsh starlet Simon Church, providing Reading are willing to sell #readingfc #swanseafc

Toon Toon Blue army

by Toon Toon Blue army » 28 May 2012 14:03

YateleyRoyal As has been said before, I doubt this will happen until Spurs keep Adebayor, sign another striker and extend Saha's contract...

Or maybe they desperately need to get rid to balance the books a bit.. remember no Champs League for Arry anymore.

HoneyRoastHoax
Hob Nob Regular

by HoneyRoastHoax » 28 May 2012 14:04

but then you have

Sky Sports ‏@SkySports

Jermain Defoe says he does not want to leave Tottenham but has reiterated he is desperate to play regular football. http://bit.ly/K8xPGH

Transfer News/Gossip ‏@TransferMoves

QPR are set to rival Liverpool in the race to sign Spurs striker Jermain Defoe - The People #QPR @SpursOfficial @LFC #football

YateleyRoyal
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Either screwing or working, so the grind don't stop

by YateleyRoyal » 28 May 2012 14:05

Toon Toon Blue army
YateleyRoyal As has been said before, I doubt this will happen until Spurs keep Adebayor, sign another striker and extend Saha's contract...

Or maybe they desperately need to get rid to balance the books a bit.. remember no Champs League for Arry anymore.

That may be true....but if so, why sell your only senior recognised striker.

Arnie_Pie
Hob Nob Regular

by Arnie_Pie » 31 May 2012 15:35

This rumour will just not go away. Loan deal is a distinct possibility.

pearcetom

by pearcetom » 31 May 2012 18:48

in the sun today (i know :roll: ) sir john said he hopes anton doesnt buy defoe or cole.....

well sir john it isnt up to you anymore :wink:

Friday's Legacy
Hob Nob Regular

by Friday's Legacy » 31 May 2012 18:49

pearcetom in the sun today (i know :roll: ) sir john said he hopes anton doesnt buy defoe or cole.....

well sir john it isnt up to you anymore :wink:

He didn't name names. He hoped we continued to sign young and hungry players. Is Roberts and Gorks young? We will always sign experienced quality if they're the right fit for us and at a price we're happy with.

pearcetom

by pearcetom » 31 May 2012 19:00

he isnt quoted naming names but the sun is coming up with its usual bollocks 'Reading chairman John Madejski is urging royals new russian owner Anton Zingarevich not to bid for Jermain Defoe and Joe Cole. Madejski said "The Reading way is to go for good young players and I am sure that will be abided to" '

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 31 May 2012 19:06

not sure how we can be linked to spurs ONLY current striker

tomrfcurz
Hob Nob Regular

by tomrfcurz » 31 May 2012 20:33

McDermott wants hungry players, players who want to prove something. Whether thats prove they're good enough and have room to develop i.e. McCleary or players who are proving they've still got it and are hungry to get guaranteed 1st team football and go as far as they can at the club i.e. Roberts.

Just cos a player is a little bit older, it doesn't change the ethos of the club. Slightly different i know but SJM sanctioned the signings of Keown and Ferdinand remember

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 31 May 2012 20:36

A loan deal til January would be most helpful...

Roberts and Defoe up front
Gylfi tucked in just behind.
Marvellous.

725 posts