SIGNED - Nicky Shorey

376 posts
Z175
Hob Nob Regular

Re: SPECULATION - Nicky Shorey

by Z175 » 06 Jun 2012 11:45

Royalwaster Agreed to join Dynamo Dushanbe- "Clubs have deal and I have it with Dynamo".

Well that's that. Good luck in erm Tajikistan(?) Nicky...

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 06 Jun 2012 12:19

For some reason he posted the same thing on the Gylfi thread. I guess there's humour in there somewhere.

Cobi
Hob Nob Regular

by Cobi » 06 Jun 2012 12:41

Was a fail at Villa, Fulham and now West Brom. he isnt the young and hungry player he used to be. His last season here he looked fed up and unsettled because we didn't sell him the summer before. Lack of effort showed and still hurts. I'm very mixed on him coming back.

Friday's Legacy
Hob Nob Regular

by Friday's Legacy » 06 Jun 2012 22:12

tomrfcurz
Hob Nob Regular

by tomrfcurz » 06 Jun 2012 22:16

Friday's Legacy

And that is his verified account too. Simon Cox said so 8)

Isaac Hunt

by Isaac Hunt » 06 Jun 2012 22:18

Friday's Legacy

Said the 31 year old without a playing contract.... :lol:

to be fair, i'd be happy to have him back, he'd strengthen the squad.

Friday's Legacy
Hob Nob Regular

by Friday's Legacy » 06 Jun 2012 22:27

I'm still in the undecided camp. That last season when he wanted out, his head dropped, his work-rate dropped as well. A few players got above themselves and the work ethic was lost. Players I previously felt a connection with had changed, became greedy.

If he comes back then someone should tell him he has a point to prove, and get that hunger back. Coming back for one last jolly isn't enough. Is he good enough? That's perhaps a fair question. It didn't go well at Villa, Fulham, and WBA decided he wasn't good enough for a new contract.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 06 Jun 2012 22:55

Friday's Legacy I'm still in the undecided camp. That last season when he wanted out, his head dropped, his work-rate dropped as well. A few players got above themselves and the work ethic was lost. Players I previously felt a connection with had changed, became greedy.

If he comes back then someone should tell him he has a point to prove, and get that hunger back. Coming back for one last jolly isn't enough. Is he good enough? That's perhaps a fair question. It didn't go well at Villa, Fulham, and WBA decided he wasn't good enough for a new contract.

Good post.

If he is not good enough for WBA then he certainly is no good for us. Far better left backs out there even from championship clubs that we should be pursuing.

This linking with former players is getting ridiculous. Surprised a Bobby Convey thread has not started yet. Where's Seoul these days!?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 06 Jun 2012 23:27

Friday's Legacy I'm still in the undecided camp. That last season when he wanted out, his head dropped, his work-rate dropped as well. A few players got above themselves and the work ethic was lost. Players I previously felt a connection with had changed, became greedy.

It would have been far less bad in another player. But Shorey was one of our major driving forces and reasons we worked as a team...

Summed up by the Middlesbrough first Prem game. The match starts, Shorey is nervous, gets the ball from the kick off and slices a long ball up the line into touch. Reading look a shambles and M'boro score two quick, easy goals. Shorey thinks "wth, we're getting a humping here, what can I lose?" drops his shoulder, cuts inside and goes on a rampaging run forward. Reading realise they can compete and go on to win the game.

He just leaves such a bitter taste because he was such a good player and so important to us. But even on purely football reasons, I'm not interested in getting in a 31 year old who's pulled up no trees since 2007, to compete with a 34 year old for the left back slot.

Sorry. I'll shut up.

Kingsley Junior

by Kingsley Junior » 07 Jun 2012 00:59

paultheroyal Where's Seoul these days!?

I'm pretty sure it is still in South Korea, and still the capital.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 07 Jun 2012 08:18

Ian Royal

It would have been far less bad in another player. But Shorey was one of our major driving forces and reasons we worked as a team...

Summed up by the Middlesbrough first Prem game. The match starts, Shorey is nervous, gets the ball from the kick off and slices a long ball up the line into touch. Reading look a shambles and M'boro score two quick, easy goals. Shorey thinks "wth, we're getting a humping here, what can I lose?" drops his shoulder, cuts inside and goes on a rampaging run forward. Reading realise they can compete and go on to win the game.

He just leaves such a bitter taste because he was such a good player and so important to us. But even on purely football reasons, I'm not interested in getting in a 31 year old who's pulled up no trees since 2007, to compete with a 34 year old for the left back slot.

Sorry. I'll shut up.

See this is where the divide lies with Shorey. I really don't think it was a case of he couldn't give a shite and was sulking because he didnt get the m ove away he wanted but more a case of caution after the two away hammerings at Pompey and Spurs.

The whole ethos of th side changed after that Spurs defeat. We went from being a fearless side that attacked in numbers with conviction to a rather timid,cautious outfit that appeared scared to make a mistake or take a risk. It wasn't just Shorey but it showed up more with him as an individual because he was such an influential player for us as your example demonstrates.

It's simply too easy and frankly lazy to say he didn't try and didn't care when the general malaise affected everyone (bizarrely with the possible exception of the equally scapegoated James Harper) in the final months of the season from the manager down.

Would I want him back? If he's approaching his best then yes I'd certainly consider it. However as much as we could do with some added Premiership experience in the squad I think having two 30+ left backs isn't an ideal situation when we've proved time and again that we can work with and improve younger players to level above that which most would consider their natural ability.

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 07 Jun 2012 08:24

F/ck this.

I wouldn't have had the slack bastard back while a championship team slumming off the scraps from JM's wallet. Why would we want a an ageing judas thats been passed around football like crabs?

Elm Park Pasty

by Elm Park Pasty » 07 Jun 2012 08:34

Extended-Phenotype F/ck this.

I wouldn't have had the slack bastard back while a championship team slumming off the scraps from JM's wallet. Why would we want a an ageing judas thats been passed around football like crabs?

Wow Extended Phenotype, when you sit on the fence you REALLY sit on the fence don't you? :D

Elmer Park

by Elmer Park » 07 Jun 2012 08:46

Purely based on his performances since he left Reading I'd have to question whether it would be a good move to get him back.

He was undoubtedly tremendous at times for Reading but for some reason he hasn't been so good at his other Clubs. Given that he has been deemed not good enough for Villa, West Brom and presumably Fulham and in addition hasn't been quickly snapped up by any Club I would have to feel he isn't the player for us.

Conclusions have been drawn as to why his form dipped in his last season for Reading and rightly or wrongly some people have decided that was down to a poor attitude caused by not getting the transfer he wanted but when I have seen him play for other teams since he left he has been no better than in his last season with us so I'm not sure that was the complete reason for his form dip.

Handsome Man
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Practically Rock Paper Scissors Champion of the World

by Handsome Man » 07 Jun 2012 08:56

He was awful in his last season with us and gave the impression of being somebody who couldn't give a toss about the club becuase he knew he was going on to better things. I presume he thought he could start playing at 100% again once he had his million-pound contract, but his record suggests not. We are under no obligation to give him a contract and can probably do better.

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 07 Jun 2012 09:00

paultheroyal Where's Seoul these days!?

If you mean Seol Ki-Hyun (now 33) he signed for Incheon United in January this year.

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 07 Jun 2012 13:26

McD - Call him and his agent, get 'em round with the promise of a contract, and then in the last half of the meeting just start looking around bored, talking really slowly, not give a shit about the meeting at all, be careless with the pen perhaps even give the pen away to a passing tea lady, and then leave.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 07 Jun 2012 16:55

Extended-Phenotype McD - Call him and his agent, get 'em round with the promise of a contract, and then in the last half of the meeting just start looking around bored, talking really slowly, not give a shit about the meeting at all, be careless with the pen perhaps even give the pen away to a passing tea lady, and then leave.

:lol:

Bring Back The SB

by Bring Back The SB » 07 Jun 2012 16:57

Ian Royal
Extended-Phenotype McD - Call him and his agent, get 'em round with the promise of a contract, and then in the last half of the meeting just start looking around bored, talking really slowly, not give a shit about the meeting at all, be careless with the pen perhaps even give the pen away to a passing tea lady, and then leave.

:lol:

It shows what type of person you are if you find that funny, Ian.

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 07 Jun 2012 17:07

Please let it be a picture of me you are sobbing into when you neck the pills, stalky.

376 posts