Arthur Wilkie - goalkeeping record holder

Negative_Jeff

Re: Arthur Wilkie - goalkeeping record holder

by Negative_Jeff » 14 Jun 2012 00:58

On a very obscure thread I have an even more obscure point to make. It`s just that Denis Allen`s brother Les was one of the best players that I have ever seen. But I have led a sheltered life.

Edelston & Brice

by Edelston & Brice » 14 Jun 2012 09:35

I have many memories of Arthur Wilkie - a fine goalkeeper and loyal servant of the club.

Does anyone know of any other Football League match in England when someone who started in goal scored more than once? I have to confess that I can't think of one.

bobby m's syrup

by bobby m's syrup » 14 Jun 2012 13:48

fruits I was there, we won the game 4-2 against Halifax Town . Great days we never had much success but the players were real characters.If I remember correctly we paid 1,000 GBP for Denis Allen from Charlton , money was so tight at RFC ,the then manager Harry Johnston, a famous player for Blackpool and featured in the "Matthews Final" in the FA Cup Final had no more money to buy anyone else.

I remember the chant we had for Daisy, it was based on the old music hall song , "Daisy,Daisy, Give me your answer do " It went
more or less like this:

Daisy, Daisy give me your answer do,
I'm half crazy, all for the love of you
It won't be a stylish marriage
I can't afford a carriage
But you" ll look sweet upon the seat
Of a bicycle built for two

2-4-6-8 Who do we appreciate R-E-A-D-I-N-G ,READING.

Daisy died from cancer a few years ago think he was only 57, his son is the "Mad Dog".

Arthur Wilkie was an excellent goalie,think he left us to go to Chelmsford,towards the end of his career,then he emigrated to New Zealand.

Remember the song being a favourite of the 'Under the Clock' choir.

sjburgham

by sjburgham » 18 Aug 2012 09:53

Barry the bird boggler Is Arthur still alive? I presume he's retired now, still in NZ is he?

Indeed he is! My son and I met him outside Beckenham Park in Christchurch just last weekend on our way to watch a match.
Our conversation started when my car was blocking his driveway, whereupon he introduced himself as Arthur Wilkie former professional footballer for Reading FC.
He said one of his claims to fame was when he scored two goals after being injured as the goalkeeper, the story in your posts.
My son, a footballer aged 9 was quite inspired by all this, and especially when he gave him some words of wisdom about striving to be the best you can be.

All quite amazing really!

Royal Bahamas

by Royal Bahamas » 18 Aug 2012 10:39

oldebiscuit
Gordons Cumming
fruits I was there, we won the game 4-2 against Halifax Town . Great days we never had much success but the players were real characters.If I remember correctly we paid 1,000 GBP for Denis Allen from Charlton , money was so tight at RFC ,the then manager Harry Johnston, a famous player for Blackpool and featured in the "Matthews Final" in the FA Cup Final had no more money to buy anyone else.

I remember the chant we had for Daisy, it was based on the old music hall song , "Daisy,Daisy, Give me your answer do " It went
more or less like this:

Daisy, Daisy give me your answer do,
I'm half crazy, all for the love of you
It won't be a stylish marriage
I can't afford a carriage
But you" ll look sweet upon the seat
Of a bicycle built for two

2-4-6-8 Who do we appreciate R-E-A-D-I-N-G ,READING.

Daisy died from cancer a few years ago think he was only 57, his son is the "Mad Dog".

Arthur Wilkie was an excellent goalie,think he left us to go to Chelmsford,towards the end of his career,then he emigrated to New Zealand.

Dennis Allen was 56 when he died 17 years ago.

HTH

In the league cup game at Highbury in mid 60's (in the days before crowd segregation) and we were shouting encouragement to Dennis with 'come on Daisy' , 'go on Daisy' and so on when up pipes a Cockney voice 'facking 'ell mate, they've only gotta cow playing for em'.

I remember this game as he the ultimate for Reading. I was a kid and Colin Meldrum was a giant. His strike at goal from his own half, hit the Arsenal woodwork. Awesome!

Dickie's Spear

by Dickie's Spear » 18 Aug 2012 11:29

sjburgham
Barry the bird boggler Is Arthur still alive? I presume he's retired now, still in NZ is he?

Indeed he is! My son and I met him outside Beckenham Park in Christchurch just last weekend on our way to watch a match.
Our conversation started when my car was blocking his driveway, whereupon he introduced himself as Arthur Wilkie former professional footballer for Reading FC.
He said one of his claims to fame was when he scored two goals after being injured as the goalkeeper, the story in your posts.
My son, a footballer aged 9 was quite inspired by all this, and especially when he gave him some words of wisdom about striving to be the best you can be.

All quite amazing really!

That is fabulous news indeed, Arthur Wilkie and Dickie Spiers in particular were my absolute heroes as a boy. I remember John Dixon also who was a fine goalie also but remember how dissapointed I was when he got the nod over Arthur for one game I attended. Some of Arthur's saves were awesome and I remember some really athletic full length saves he made. Thanks for the info and welcome to Hobnob B.T.W..