SIGNED - Stuart Taylor

kitsons pubes

SIGNED - Stuart Taylor

by kitsons pubes » 09 Jul 2012 15:46

UpThePrem

Re: Rumour - Stuart Taylor

by UpThePrem » 09 Jul 2012 15:48

Unless Feds is on his way, he isn't going to get "first team action".

McCarthy would surely replace Feds if that happened.

leeeroy Jeeenkins

by leeeroy Jeeenkins » 09 Jul 2012 15:49

definatly think having an experienced keeper for back up is a must, means we can send both Andersen and McCarthy out on loan

Royals-lad14

Re: RUMOUR - Stuart Taylor

by Royals-lad14 » 09 Jul 2012 15:51

Don't think he is really needed, McCarthy is a great backup to Feds

pea
Hob Nob Regular

by pea » 09 Jul 2012 15:52

leeeroy Jeeenkins definatly think having an experienced keeper for back up is a must, means we can send both Andersen and McCarthy out on loan

This, seems unlikely that we'd sign him, him training with us is completely different considering some of the players who have trained with us under McDermott without any intention of signing for us/after they've left/even though we've said we won't sign them. But if it allowed both Andersen and McCarthy to go on long term loans then it would be worth doing. We could send one on a season-long loan without the concern that we couldn't recall if the other or Feds gets injured.

Elm Park Pasty

by Elm Park Pasty » 09 Jul 2012 15:54

kitsons pubes http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11673/7884664/Royals-look-at-Taylor

Not sure he is needed though...

Had a bit of a :shock: when I saw this. I don't really think he has set the world alight wherever he has been, hence his perennial bench warming status, no thanks!

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 09 Jul 2012 16:05

leeeroy Jeeenkins definatly think having an experienced keeper for back up is a must, means we can send both Andersen and McCarthy out on loan

I agree that at their ages and with what we think are their exceptional abilities - that McCarthy and Andersen should both be sent out on loan to Championship clubs. Surely far better for their development to be playing each week than sitting on the bench h at RFC.

Most loan deals allow a call back after 30 days in any case so we could always call them back if needed.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 09 Jul 2012 16:07

If he's moved on from City for regular football then I doubt he'll want to come here unless there's an indication that he'll either replace Federici or that Federici is off.

I can't see the point in this one. Even as experienced backups go he's not actually got a lot of experience of playing, although he does have experience of being a non-playing member of a squad, if that's what we're looking for.

He's another example, much like Ashdown, of a wasted career that showed so much early promise.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 09 Jul 2012 16:13

Hoop Blah If he's moved on from City for regular football then I doubt he'll want to come here unless there's an indication that he'll either replace Federici or that Federici is off.

I can't see the point in this one. Even as experienced backups go he's not actually got a lot of experience of playing, although he does have experience of being a non-playing member of a squad, if that's what we're looking for.

He's another example, much like Ashdown, of a wasted career that showed so much early promise.

Agreed in part but the danger is that if McCarthy and Andersen don't play regularly somewhere soon that they could end up going the same way and having wasted careers of their own.

I am not saying we should go for Taylor, but I would like to see an experienced bench warmer to allow our young talented keepers out on loan.

After all Hamer was very much third in the young RFC keeper pecking order and he will be first choice at a Championship club next year.

MouldyRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by MouldyRoyal » 09 Jul 2012 16:15

If Federici is off (and it'd be a strange one if he were) then I'd rather McCarthy stepped up to the plate. His FA cup exploits against West Brom, Everton and Man City 2 seasons ago show he can handle the pressure. Would just need to show he could perform consistently.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 09 Jul 2012 16:22

MouldyRoyal If Federici is off (and it'd be a strange one if he were) then I'd rather McCarthy stepped up to the plate. His FA cup exploits against West Brom, Everton and Man City 2 seasons ago show he can handle the pressure. Would just need to show he could perform consistently.

I would be astounded if we agreed to sell Fed.

He is in the last year of his contract and might choose to run it down, but it would be a massive risk for us to sell him. I am sure he will be first choice keeper this season.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 09 Jul 2012 16:26

andrew1957 Agreed in part but the danger is that if McCarthy and Andersen don't play regularly somewhere soon that they could end up going the same way and having wasted careers of their own.

Agreed. They might need week-in week-out involvement in a Premier League squad to train on even further though...

Perhaps the happy medium is to farm one out on loan whilst the other stays as backup then swap them over when the first loan is up.

RoyalX

by RoyalX » 09 Jul 2012 17:17

If he did sign, it would just be as a backup keeper, allowing McCarthy or Andersen to go out on loan.

Nothing so far in his career would suggest otherwise.

Interestingly a quick google search brings up this article (http://barrettsportswriting.webs.com/ap ... goalkeeper) which is very complimentary about our goalkeeping setup.

TheLawnMowerMan
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by TheLawnMowerMan » 09 Jul 2012 17:46

I'd be amazed if he got regular first team football with us.

I can see us signing a keeper, but not as first choice.
We need 3 keepers, and having one on loan (Andersen needs more experience) would give us a recall if needed.
McCarthy should be number 2 IMHO, but we need a number 3 who will get very little game time or even make the bench.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 09 Jul 2012 18:13

andrew1957
Hoop Blah If he's moved on from City for regular football then I doubt he'll want to come here unless there's an indication that he'll either replace Federici or that Federici is off.

Agreed in part but the danger is that if McCarthy and Andersen don't play regularly somewhere soon that they could end up going the same way and having wasted careers of their own.

I am not saying we should go for Taylor, but I would like to see an experienced bench warmer to allow our young talented keepers out on loan.

After all Hamer was very much third in the young RFC keeper pecking order and he will be first choice at a Championship club next year.

TBF Andersen has 70 starts to his name at 23, although none in the last 18 months.
And McCarthy has 83 at 22. With 16 last season.

Not that a season at Chump level would hurt of course. I'd like to see at least one of them making either 40+ starts in League One or 20+ starts in the Champ next season.

I guess if these two stumble we could always buy back Hamer. :D

Jay o/

by Jay o/ » 09 Jul 2012 18:30

I don't know what to make of this. Taylor wants first team but wont get that with Federici here. Then you also have to ask what about McCarthy and also Mikkel Andersen? Both off out on loan? Nothing about this makes much sense unless we are resigned to losing Federici.

blueroyals
Hob Nob Regular

by blueroyals » 09 Jul 2012 18:31

Interesting that we've not signed a goalkeeper (for the first team) for 6 years.

Ups and Downs
Hob Nob Regular
Location: the piss artist not formerly known as scutterbucket

by Ups and Downs » 09 Jul 2012 19:43

blueroyals Interesting that we've not signed a goalkeeper (for the first team) for 6 years.

Who was that? Feds?

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 09 Jul 2012 19:54

I actually spotted Stuart Taylor driving through Shinfield at the end of last week so this story seems to be true.

He was looking for something - whether it was first team football or the closest Murco garage I really couldn't say.

TheLawnMowerMan
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by TheLawnMowerMan » 09 Jul 2012 21:45

Jay o/ I don't know what to make of this. Taylor wants first team but wont get that with Federici here. Then you also have to ask what about McCarthy and also Mikkel Andersen? Both off out on loan? Nothing about this makes much sense unless we are resigned to losing Federici.

Premier League clubs are expected to have enough keepers to cover injuries - no emergency loans except in exceptional circumstances, so we need at least 3 keepers who are not on loan.