SIGNED - Nicky Shorey

376 posts
OLLIE KEARNS

Re: SPECULATION - Nicky Shorey

by OLLIE KEARNS » 10 Jul 2012 11:19

JezD I understand where you're coming from. But I think there are/were better options. Rather than getting Shorey for a year or 2, we could have tried to get Fabio on loan rather than letting him go to QPR. (If we did go for him but lost out than fair enough, but I didn't hear anything)

I also think Connelly from QPR would be a better option who can play either left or right back, he's got more pace and good positioning. Hopefully we'll still go in for him!

I honestly can't see BM signing Shorey as a starting left back, he must have a trick up his sleeve because if Harte and Shorey are going to be our first choice wing backs than we will get destroyed every time we come up against some one with a bit of pace. Harte got exposed for pace in the championship, let alone the prem!

With respect, you show a distinct lack of understanding as to how BM sets his team out to play week in week out. We don't play wing backs, we play with wingers and we don't play a high line. If we did play a high line with our current back four then we'd be in touble given the lack of pace (just ask Chelsea and AVB) but we don't and I doubt very much that will change. Certainly the signings in forward areas suggest that we'll play the same way as last season in terms of shape.

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 10 Jul 2012 11:26

OLLIE KEARNS
JezD I understand where you're coming from. But I think there are/were better options. Rather than getting Shorey for a year or 2, we could have tried to get Fabio on loan rather than letting him go to QPR. (If we did go for him but lost out than fair enough, but I didn't hear anything)

I also think Connelly from QPR would be a better option who can play either left or right back, he's got more pace and good positioning. Hopefully we'll still go in for him!

I honestly can't see BM signing Shorey as a starting left back, he must have a trick up his sleeve because if Harte and Shorey are going to be our first choice wing backs than we will get destroyed every time we come up against some one with a bit of pace. Harte got exposed for pace in the championship, let alone the prem!

With respect, you show a distinct lack of understanding as to how BM sets his team out to play week in week out. We don't play wing backs, we play with wingers and we don't play a high line. If we did play a high line with our current back four then we'd be in touble given the lack of pace (just ask Chelsea and AVB) but we don't and I doubt very much that will change. Certainly the signings in forward areas suggest that we'll play the same way as last season in terms of shape.

Also what would be the point in developing Fabio for another Premier League club? Can understand the loan market when you're in the Championship but not in the Premier League unless you've got a very real chance of signing him.

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 10 Jul 2012 11:27

Never go back.

Bit of a incestual signing this one seeing as his dad still works for the club and he has a lot of 'friends' in the area.

KDRF

by KDRF » 10 Jul 2012 11:27

Dissapointing signing tbh. Shorey I believe is a poor mans Harte atm, and if it was pace we were worried about being exposed to, then this hasnt made it any better. If he wasn't good enough for West Brom which are an average bottom half team, why would he be good for us when its quite clear from Mcdermotts mindset that were not settling for 17th place.

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 10 Jul 2012 11:31

No Fixed Abode Never go back.

Bit of a incestual signing this one seeing as his dad still works for the club and he has a lot of 'friends' in the area.

Williams came back and did well.

Senior came back and did well.

mathematically_safe
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: keeping wicket for the quakers in my joy division oven gloves

by mathematically_safe » 10 Jul 2012 11:33

if getting Shorey back on a free allows more budget to go on a right full back then i think it's a wise move. if there's a fee involved for Gunter/Simpson etc then it makes sense to go on the cheap at left back.

brian doesn't often get it wrong. does this mean Steve Shorey scouted his own son? (Conflict of interest?!!)

larry1971

by larry1971 » 10 Jul 2012 12:13

KDRF Dissapointing signing tbh. Shorey I believe is a poor mans Harte atm, and if it was pace we were worried about being exposed to, then this hasnt made it any better. If he wasn't good enough for West Brom which are an average bottom half team, why would he be good for us when its quite clear from Mcdermotts mindset that were not settling for 17th place.

maybe his mindset is thinking higher but right now 17th place is probably what all 3 of the promoted managers are targeting this season is all about consolodation and bringing in players with Premiership experience to strengthen the squad and give us a good chance of staying up and like it or not players like Shorey, will be the ones Mcdermott will be signing..

TheLawnMowerMan
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by TheLawnMowerMan » 10 Jul 2012 12:18

Michael Meaker Fordham seems pretty confident that this one is happening.

And he's ITK, so it's nailed on I think.

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 10 Jul 2012 12:18

left back is still our weakest position and thats after this signing, all hail the right wingers in the prem!!!

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 10 Jul 2012 12:20

:shock:

Can't say I'm particularly pleased to see the person back. We know he's quality, although he's not done an awful lot since he left us to show that quality. Taking away his time with us previously, he's a very good signing.

I trust Brian to know Nicky well enough to be able to tell whether he genuinely has the desire to come back and do well playing for Reading, and whether he regrets leaving, or whether he still has the attitude from the end of his time here.

A chance for a once fans favourite to make amends. Or to further tarnish his memory. Benefit of the doubt, with reservations.

Welcome back Nicky and sorry I blanked you in the club shop in town all those years ago when getting autographs for my nephew... I didn't recognise you without your number three shirt. :oops:

Cypry

by Cypry » 10 Jul 2012 12:27

JezD This is such a joke signing.

As soon as we come up against a winger with a bit of pace then we're going to be f*cked. I love Shorey, he was amazing for us a few years ago, but he's not what we need right now and he's certainly no better than Harte. Talk about signing a player just for the hell of it. I like the fact that we're getting a lot of free transfers, but this will be a complete waste of our wage budget. We need a wing back with pace.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - loads of doom mongers said the same about Harte last year - he's got no pace, come up against a fast winger and we'll be f@cked...

List me the goals that we conceded last year that could be put down to Hartes slowness!
I struggle to think of any post-Xmas...

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 10 Jul 2012 12:32

Shorey vs Harte

Harte's qualities making him a better choice over our other left backs have always been his experience, calmness and set piece ability.

Shorey has experience, calmness and good set piece ability. He's younger, he's marginally more mobile, and he's far more effective going forward in possession. I suspect McAnuff is delighted with this signing.

I am honestly baffled with anyone who doesn't think that a player of the quality and type we know Shorey can provide is better than Ian Harte.

You don't need to be particularly pace to be a good defender. It helps of course, but good positioning and reading of the game help a lot more. People are way too hung up on pace at full back.

TheLawnMowerMan
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by TheLawnMowerMan » 10 Jul 2012 12:47

Ian Royal If I haven't already said it: Shorey can fuk right off. Over 30, left with a stinking attitude and hasn't pulled up any trees since. The only player from the 106 team that can compete with Stephen "stupiddisruptivegit" Hunt in the never-darken-our-door-again stakes.

Ian Royal Can't say I'm particularly pleased to see the person back. We know he's quality, although he's not done an awful lot since he left us to show that quality. Taking away his time with us previously, he's a very good signing.

:shock:

Royalz96

by Royalz96 » 10 Jul 2012 12:55

This signing is stpuid, Harte may not be the quickest but he can still deliver some super free kicks into the box and corners and next season we might have to rely on set pieces more, i dont think Shorey is that much faster than Harte is he?? Also a few people saying his prem experince, so what has Hare got? also 1 of the few players in our squad who has played and scored in the champo league and played in the spanish league,

Dare to Dr£am
Hob Nob Regular

by Dare to Dr£am » 10 Jul 2012 12:56

He has said a few times now that he's sorry he let us down in his last season here, and that yes he did sulk, and the effort went missing. But he admits it, and feels he owes us, and I'm sure Brian will use that as motivation to get the best out of him again.

If anyone get a player going it's Brian! :shock:

JS28ZoD

by JS28ZoD » 10 Jul 2012 12:58

loyalroyal4life left back is still our weakest position and thats after this signing, all hail the right wingers in the prem!!!

I think right back is our weakest position and I expect us to improve the squad in this position.

In my view, Harte is a better option than Shorey as his set pieces are better and he is much stronger in the air. Shorey therefore is likely to be a back up which is slightly underwhelming because it's great to players coming in who immediately improve the first team, like the Pog and Guthrie.

Royalz96

by Royalz96 » 10 Jul 2012 13:00

Of all the left backs we get Shorey back :L didnt we BM get given a 15m budget, well so far we havent used any of that, if we are going to get a LB at least get a half decent one who wasnt released by West Brom, :/

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 10 Jul 2012 13:03

Maguire Fukk off Shorey - couldn't get out of the door quick enough when it suited you.

Amen to that.

Passed around the football league like dickwarts. Hopefully we have signed him so we can loan him out for a year in Krasnodar and watch the useless mercenary drown.

Royalz96

by Royalz96 » 10 Jul 2012 13:05

Extended-Phenotype
Maguire Fukk off Shorey - couldn't get out of the door quick enough when it suited you.

Amen to that.

Passed around the football league like dickwarts. Hopefully we have signed him so we can loan him out for a year in Krasnodar and watch the useless mercenary drown.

Lol :lol: :lol:

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 10 Jul 2012 13:10

Inspired signing....if only because it'll massively p*ss off Woodcote Royal :lol:

376 posts