SIGNED - Nicky Shorey

376 posts
Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

Re: SPECULATION - Nicky Shorey

by Extended-Phenotype » 10 Jul 2012 15:24

Please, please, please somebody do a Mark Chapman outside the Madstad entrance.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 10 Jul 2012 15:25

winchester_royal Pleased with this. Quality player who will add to our squad this season while we look for a long term solution. Those who slag Shorey off for sulking whilst worshipping Kebe at the same time are hypocrites of the highest order. NS gave us 5/6 years of excellent service before that season. He's an RFC legend and should always be welcomed back to the club with open arms. Be that as a visitor or squad member.

why mention kebe at all.

this anti kebe propaganda has no place on the board that i love

the man is GOD

end of

FACT

Ups and Downs
Hob Nob Regular
Location: the piss artist not formerly known as scutterbucket

by Ups and Downs » 10 Jul 2012 15:25

southbank1871
Ups and Downs Used to see him in the bookies on the Basingstoke Road quite often when I worked up that way back in 2004/5. I remember he scored a goal that could have possibly been a pass rather than a shot. I asked him if had meant it and he said he had. Csb.

Vs QPR?

Possibly though I can't remember.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 10 Jul 2012 15:27

Extended-Phenotype Please, please, please somebody do a Mark Chapman outside the Madstad entrance.

present sports radio?

southbank1871
Hob Nob Regular
Location: And yeah I'd love to tell you all my problem, you're not from New York City you're from Rotherham

by southbank1871 » 10 Jul 2012 15:28

FTR, I can sort of understand the Shorey h8, as his commitment did seem to drop when he wanted a move away, but he was a young aspiring England international who probably had an agent in his year.

He can still do a job and has excellent delivery from set-pieces so this is a decent signing on a free IMO.

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 10 Jul 2012 15:35

melonhead
Extended-Phenotype Please, please, please somebody do a Mark Chapman outside the Madstad entrance.

present sports radio?

A decent alternative to shooting him sure, if you swap ''present' with 'break', 'sports' with 'his', and 'radio' with 'spine'.

USA_Loyal_Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by USA_Loyal_Royal » 10 Jul 2012 15:37

im getting worried now after this signing cause bm only said he was going to bring in 2-3 more which is now 1-2 more. i dont think we can survive bringing in only max 2 more looking at our squad now. i have tremendous faith in bm and our squad but who knows if we will get in a good run of form like last season, our team is based around confidence and if we dont have that we struggle. on a good day our boys could beat anyone, MAYBE even some of the top 6 but we need another couple of defenders, and at least one attacking midfielder and possibly a striker.

tomrfcurz
Hob Nob Regular

by tomrfcurz » 10 Jul 2012 15:40

URZZZZZZZZ
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Long knocks it back in.............IT'S READING WHO TAKE A MASSIVE STEP TOWARDS WEMBLEY!!

by URZZZZZZZZ » 10 Jul 2012 15:43

USA_Loyal_Royal im getting worried now after this signing cause bm only said he was going to bring in 2-3 more which is now 1-2 more. i dont think we can survive bringing in only max 2 more looking at our squad now. i have tremendous faith in bm and our squad but who knows if we will get in a good run of form like last season, our team is based around confidence and if we dont have that we struggle. on a good day our boys could beat anyone, MAYBE even some of the top 6 but we need another couple of defenders, and at least one attacking midfielder and possibly a striker.

You wanna chikll out m8, you seem like a right wet blanket.

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 10 Jul 2012 15:44

Welcome back Nicky. You've done enough in the past to earn a 2nd go and can remember you turning that Middlesbrough game round with one run and seemingly putting the belief back into the squad and fans in one go.

And remember you can query Brian's intentions in the transfer market at the Fan's Forum on this Thursday evening....

Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

by Simon's Church » 10 Jul 2012 15:45

One year deal

http://www.readingfc.co.uk/page/NewsDet ... 13,00.html

First signing to wear the new kit :evil:

USA_Loyal_Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by USA_Loyal_Royal » 10 Jul 2012 15:46

URZZZZZZZZ
USA_Loyal_Royal im getting worried now after this signing cause bm only said he was going to bring in 2-3 more which is now 1-2 more. i dont think we can survive bringing in only max 2 more looking at our squad now. i have tremendous faith in bm and our squad but who knows if we will get in a good run of form like last season, our team is based around confidence and if we dont have that we struggle. on a good day our boys could beat anyone, MAYBE even some of the top 6 but we need another couple of defenders, and at least one attacking midfielder and possibly a striker.

You wanna chikll out m8, you seem like a right wet blanket.

im chill bro, i know were going to be fine and if we need any additional players az will make funds available in January. i would just prefer not for us to be in a situation that needs that is going to be at the bottom of the table all season.

Niko

by Niko » 10 Jul 2012 15:54

HE'S SIGNED :shock:

TheVeryLoyalRoyal

by TheVeryLoyalRoyal » 10 Jul 2012 15:57

Nice load of people saying how rubbish Shorey played last season "I've seen better Sunday League Left backs" "Cost us dozens of goals"

RockheadRumple

by RockheadRumple » 10 Jul 2012 15:58

I was a little unenthusiastic about the signing at first but his interview shows he really does give a sh/t. He may not be young but he's definitely hungry. Only a one year deal though.

bracksroyal10

by bracksroyal10 » 10 Jul 2012 16:00

What you talking about?

If we bring in so many more players its going to unsettle the squad to a point that it affects the performances on the field.

Would rather majority of the lads get a chance to prove themselves we've seen in the FA Cup over the years they are good enough to compete in the prem they have shown it in the cup ties down the years.

The club has a plan in place and im quite optimistic that it will work especially when you look at the promoted teams that have managed to stay up and consolidate their place!

No Hoops
Hob Nob Regular

by No Hoops » 10 Jul 2012 16:03

Welcome home Nicky.

Does this mean no Bertrand?

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 10 Jul 2012 16:09

No Hoops Welcome home Nicky.

Does this mean no Bertrand?

Who needs an up-and-coming star of the future when you have a dead tramp in a wheelie bin that a community has called the council to have taken away.

RFCSPACE

by RFCSPACE » 10 Jul 2012 16:11

Bizarre.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 10 Jul 2012 16:11

Nicky Shorey has returned to Reading today, signing a one-year contract, and the defender says there is no way he could have turned down an offer from the Royals. He also said he owes our fans a debt of gratitude and wants to repay them by helping the club once again. Read on for a full Q&A with our new left back, while a full video interview is on Reading FC Player now.

Nicky welcome back to Reading. How does it feel?
It feels good, I'm looking forward to it and I'm excited. I had great times here and it's a new challenge now. The club's completely changed, it's a new challenge and a new season so I'm just looking forward to that.

It seems like a long time ago that you made your debut for our reserves down at Palmer Park and what a story it's been since then.
I know yes! To be honest, it's probably gone better than I could ever have imagined. It's always nice to look back but I'm just looking to the future now and we've got a big challenge coming up and I'm excited to be part of it. I was here for a long time. I played quite a few games [almost 300] and thoroughly enjoyed it when I was here but hopefully I can play a few more now!

That's the aim now, to get yourself into the team, but it won't be easy because it's always competitive isn't it?
I always keep tabs on Reading and last season they did extremely well. It's always tough to come in and try and get into a team that's done so well so you've got to fight your way in and work hard. Whenever I'm needed I'll be ready.

Are you looking forward to maybe hearing another 'Shorey for England' from the supporters?
I've always had great support from the Reading fans and I feel a little bit like I owe them a great deal and a lot of my career really. They've supported me so well, and it was disappointing the way things went in the last season I was here, but at that time it was time for me to move on. It feels like a new challenge now and hopefully I'll be able to repay them.

We're now back in the Premier League so the excitement is there once again isn't it?
Exactly, this club is run right and you've got good people working here. I was delighted when they got promoted last year. To be honest, I didn't have one thought that I might be coming here but it's nice to be a part of it. It's such a good place and a good town and everyone gets behind the team so it's a nice feeling around the club.

Interestingly you did say when you left back in 2008 that one day you might come back and here we are, stood here four years later.
It's one of those clubs. I was here for so long and most of the people are still working here that I was here with so I always knew that I'd be happy if I did get the chance to come back. Thankfully it's happened and I'm going to enjoy it.

What was it like talking to Brian McDermott again and what did he say to you?
I spoke to Bri on the phone and he made it clear that he wanted me to come back, which is always nice, and I made it clear that I was more than happy to do that. It was an easy conversation to have. Most of summer I was waiting and I had other clubs interested so it's been a long summer for me, thinking where I was going to end up.

But as soon as Brian made the call to me, my mind was made up. I spoke to another couple of managers and I've got a lot of respect for them and I'm sure I would've been happy going to one of those clubs, but the pull that Reading had, to work with Brian especially and Nicky Hammond again and the people at the club, I didn't feel I could turn it down, and being in the Premier League as well.

Is it fair to say you played the best football of your career whilst at Reading?
Some of it! People might look at my time away from the club and think it hasn't gone so well but I still feel I've played OK and for whatever reason it doesn't work out sometimes. I'm pretty happy and if I can get myself fit and ready to go, I'm sure I can make a good impact.

So finally, what's your message to the supporters now that you've signed again, it's exciting for everybody isn't it?
Yes, hopefully I just hope that I can get the same support that I had when I was here last. They've always been good to me and I do feel like I owe them a lot and I'd like to end my Reading career on a high this time instead of a low like it was last time. I feel the fans deserve that and that's what we'll be aiming to do as a club.

376 posts