Arnie_Pie
Hob Nob Regular

Re: RUMOUR - Jermaine Defoe

by Arnie_Pie » 21 Jul 2012 10:51

Possible loan move still on.

UpThePrem

by UpThePrem » 21 Jul 2012 10:53

No answers on this until Spurs sort our their alternatives to Defoe. Probably won't be until late in the window.
Last edited by UpThePrem on 21 Jul 2012 11:52, edited 1 time in total.

royal_cornwall

by royal_cornwall » 21 Jul 2012 11:46

urz13
Friday's Legacy
urz13 It was never on in the first place, and we ne'er even spoke to Defoe ffs.

Yes we did

We absolutely did speak to him, and he also expressed an interest in coming here; but because it's such an ambitious move, some corners just wont accept it's genuine. Most were the same with our attempt to bring Sigurdsson back. Yes it was also extremely unlikely, but nevertheless we made a bid, it was accepted, and he was good enough to hear what we had to say.

The only thing I can't get my head around is we must have known what he was earning at Spurs, and roughly what it would take to bring him here. So to be put off by his wage demands just doesn't seem right to me. But it sound very much like it wont happen now, unless something unexpected changes.

No, we absoloutely didn't. There was an enquiry, no bid, no contract offer, nothing. Just an enquiry.
:|[/quote]

When it became apparent Glyfi was going to Spurs Reading spoke to them about a possible loan move for him.... :twisted:

robbieroyal

by robbieroyal » 21 Jul 2012 20:11

I really think Spurs will bring in Hulk and Ade and Defoe will come initially on Loan.

Think this one will run for another few weeks.

Jay o/

by Jay o/ » 21 Jul 2012 20:55

robbieroyal I really think Spurs will bring in Hulk and Ade and Defoe will come initially on Loan.

Think this one will run for another few weeks.

I think you might be right about the loan. If not here then somewhere else, certainly. I'd go wild for a season loan!

USA_Loyal_Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by USA_Loyal_Royal » 22 Jul 2012 04:17

a season loan would be a fantastic feat for us!

UpNorth

by UpNorth » 22 Jul 2012 09:37

Off to West Ham according to the papers today

USA_Loyal_Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by USA_Loyal_Royal » 22 Jul 2012 12:30

UpNorth Off to West Ham according to the papers today

by my count that will be their 8th striker.also dont all west ham fans hate him?

Blakey's Right Peg

by Blakey's Right Peg » 22 Jul 2012 12:53

They certainly do.

They are as fickle as they come though, let's not forget.

USA_Loyal_Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by USA_Loyal_Royal » 22 Jul 2012 18:14

Blakey's Right Peg They certainly do.

they are in fact, the worst type of people on the planet. but seriously WHY ON EARTH do they need 7 strikers in the squad.

mx

by mx » 22 Jul 2012 18:51

Blakey's Right Peg They certainly do.

I thought we hated Defoe for ripping us to shreds when he was at Bournemouth on loan years ago? Or is that just me?

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 22 Jul 2012 18:54

We have 5 + backups in the main squad + reserves, and everyone says we still need more...double standards?

Friday's Legacy
Hob Nob Regular

by Friday's Legacy » 22 Jul 2012 21:18

Royal Ginger We have 5 + backups in the main squad + reserves, and everyone says we still need more...double standards?

The majority of what we have isn't good enough for the Premier League.

I think we're OK with Pogrebnyak, Roberts, and I'd like to see Le Fondre get some more game time; but the likes of Hunt and Church are not out and out goal scorers, and for me will struggle next season - Church especially. At least Hunt will likely get a few headers and flick ons. But your Church's, Sheppard's, Williams all need to either go on loan or be sold.

robbieroyal

by robbieroyal » 22 Jul 2012 21:34

Friday's Legacy
Royal Ginger We have 5 + backups in the main squad + reserves, and everyone says we still need more...double standards?

I think we're OK with Pogrebnyak, Roberts, and I'd like to see Le Fondre get some more game time; but the likes of Hunt and Church are not out and out goal scorers, and for me will struggle next season - Church especially. At least Hunt will likely get a few headers and flick ons. But your Church's, Sheppard's, Williams all need to either go on loan or be sold.

I think we def need another proven premier league striker or hope we get lucky with Alfie making the step up!

Roberts will more than likely suffer with
Injuries next year given the grade up and god forbid anything happens to the Pog. We def need another striker in IMO.

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 22 Jul 2012 22:41

robbieroyal
Friday's Legacy

I think we def need another proven premier league striker or hope we get lucky with Alfie making the step up!

Roberts will more than likely suffer with
Injuries next year given the grade up and god forbid anything happens to the Pog. We def need another striker in IMO.

Fair points, but we need to ship one out first. That''ll be tough for the squad as Church and Hunt seem central.

Cripple Creek
Hob Nob Regular

by Cripple Creek » 22 Jul 2012 23:11

Agreed. Delighted with the signings so far but we will soon be in trouble without another striker. Roberts was a fantastic player in the Championship and is more than capable of being a decent player in the Premiership (as he has been) but our forward line is, frankly, very weak in strength. God only knows what will happen if there are a couple of injuries and we find ourselves only with, for example, Church and Hunt. Le Fondre, I think, will surprise a few in the Prem. I think he is quite capable of building a career for himself as a long-term Premiership player.

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 22 Jul 2012 23:35

Cripple Creek Agreed. Delighted with the signings so far but we will soon be in trouble without another striker. Roberts was a fantastic player in the Championship and is more than capable of being a decent player in the Premiership (as he has been) but our forward line is, frankly, very weak in strength. God only knows what will happen if there are a couple of injuries and we find ourselves only with, for example, Church and Hunt. Le Fondre, I think, will surprise a few in the Prem. I think he is quite capable of building a career for himself as a long-term Premiership player.

Problem is finding a prem quality striker who's willing to join a newly promoted club without a guarantee of starting the majority of matches. Pog, Roberts, Hunt and Alfie are all going to be in the mix.

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 24 Jul 2012 00:37

TheSiege I would still love to have Rhodes! I believe that he might be the joker in our pack! I have always thought that Defoe was brilliant and if he suddenly turned up at RFC I would breathe a sigh of relief and say - we will not get relegated, but he is coming to the end of his career and also requires a very large monthly wage. I would love it we bought Rhodes and he turned into another Defoe ( I do not mean by this that they are similar players!) Either would enhance our squad but, if we wish to ensure our survival at this level, we must have one of them!

<Insert GIF denoting pity and boredom here>

MouldyRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by MouldyRoyal » 24 Jul 2012 09:25

TheSiege I would still love to have Rhodes! I believe that he might be the joker in our pack! I have always thought that Defoe was brilliant and if he suddenly turned up at RFC I would breathe a sigh of relief and say - we will not get relegated, but he is coming to the end of his career and also requires a very large monthly wage. I would love it we bought Rhodes and he turned into another Defoe ( I do not mean by this that they are similar players!) Either would enhance our squad but, if we wish to ensure our survival at this level, we must have one of them!

Must is a very strong word and it seems fully apparent that Brian McDermott (you know, the only one whose opinion on such matters actually counts) disagrees with you. He doesn't appear to believe either are a must. He's shown himself to be a much more successful football manager that you.

Also, enough with exclamation points, it makes it seem like you're a 13 year old girl writing about her crush on the latest teen pop sensations.

bobby m's syrup

by bobby m's syrup » 24 Jul 2012 10:25

MouldyRoyal

Must is a very strong word and it seems fully apparent that Brian McDermott (you know, the only one whose opinion on such matters actually counts) disagrees with you. He doesn't appear to believe either are a must. He's shown himself to be a much more successful football manager that you.

Also, enough with exclamation points, it makes it seem like you're a 13 year old girl writing about her crush on the latest teen pop sensations.

How do we know she's not?

725 posts