Stadium Expansion

1747 posts
WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

Re: Stadium Expansion

by WoodleyRoyal » 27 Jul 2012 14:13

we will play at the kazam stadium

Alexander Litvinenko
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Winner - HNA? Music Quiz 2013. The Great Sounds of Polonium 210.

by Alexander Litvinenko » 27 Jul 2012 14:59

We will buy Fratton Park off the administrators down there and have it shipped brick by brick to Prospect Park for use as a temporary venue.

Upper West Ginger

by Upper West Ginger » 28 Jul 2012 01:15

melonhead who is the angel of gradient?

Saint Bernard of Menthon, the Patron Saint of Mountaineers.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 28 Jul 2012 17:09

Woodcote Royal This club could justify having a 30k stadium for this season before a ball is kicked and it is complete nonsense to suggest otherwise. If you want the fan base to expand, you need spare capacity for it to expand into and that, inevitably, means running the risk of playing in a half empty stadium as and when relegation occurs. The alternative is what we are about to witness; Season tickets sold out with many local people unable to get seats and, therefore, far less likely to become regular fans.

Yes, regular attendances of 8k in our first season at the Mad Stad was not the best but had we built a 12k stadium we wouldn't be where are today. If RFC, back in the EP days could take 40k to Wembley for a minor cup final, in it's present form it would be more than capable of getting similar home attendances if it established itself in the top flight.

As it stands though, absolutely anyone with a wish to go to the 6 league games on sale can get one, as all games are now on general sale. People will only not be able to get to a game they fancy by being to lazy to log on or call/visit the club.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 30 Jul 2012 01:53

Just because these games haven't sold out weeks in advance doesn't mean they won't be come match day.

Just the fact that season tickets have sold out means capacity is limited. Once we're down to odd seats, meaning Mr & Mrs Fairweather can't sit together with their 2 kids, we're losing money and seriously hampering our ability to attract new regular fans.

Spare capacity has allowed us to increase our fan base by around 10k since 1998. For as long as we remain in the top flight, that process is on hold until capacity is increased.

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 30 Jul 2012 06:13

Agree with WR here, the season has not even started yet, and only south stand tickets are available , £40 to watch Spurs or Newcastle and the club can oxf*rd right off.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 30 Jul 2012 06:58

Harpers So Solid Crew Agree with WR here, the season has not even started yet, and only south stand tickets are available , £40 to watch Spurs or Newcastle and the club can oxf*rd right off.

It would be £40 even if it were a 30k stadium.

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 30 Jul 2012 08:13

Yeah I know, sad state of affairs IMHO

Dare to Dr£am
Hob Nob Regular

by Dare to Dr£am » 30 Jul 2012 12:04

Woodcote Royal Just because these games haven't sold out weeks in advance doesn't mean they won't be come match day.

Just the fact that season tickets have sold out means capacity is limited. Once we're down to odd seats, meaning Mr & Mrs Fairweather can't sit together with their 2 kids, we're losing money and seriously hampering our ability to attract new regular fans.

Spare capacity has allowed us to increase our fan base by around 10k since 1998. For as long as we remain in the top flight, that process is on hold until capacity is increased.

Bang on!

Dare to Dr£am
Hob Nob Regular

by Dare to Dr£am » 30 Jul 2012 12:08

Harpers So Solid Crew Yeah I know, sad state of affairs IMHO

Maybe so, but if you want to us progress and continue to outbid the likes of Fulham and Villa to sign the Pogrebnyak's and Danny Guthrie's of the Premier League, then it's a fair cop.

[caresses his £399 season ticket]

[I showed the faith]

[I dared to dr£am]

:wink:

Mr Optimist
Hob Nob Regular

by Mr Optimist » 31 Jul 2012 08:33

Woodcote Royal Just because these games haven't sold out weeks in advance doesn't mean they won't be come match day.

Agree totally Woodcote. Doesn't just have to be fair weathers it could be families like mine that are exiled over 200 miles away but come down to a home game every four to six weeks. If I knew I could get a ticket I would come to quite a few games with my three boys, instead I will have to try for tickets in the south stand for the less glamorous games like Wigan or West Brom.

I can't afford season tickets and the travel costs and due to limited chances of getting home tickets together we will be going to more northern away games instead like Sunderland away in a few weeks. With expansion MY club would be getting my money not lining Sunderlands coffers instead.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 31 Jul 2012 09:26

larry1971
Dare to Dr£am

Well, if you think how steep the top half of the stands (are at our place), that level of steepness will continue.

I went to the thearte at Woking yesterday and I was in the top row of the Royal Circle which is fairly high up and I have to say when I stood up at the interval I stood with my back to the stage as I really didn't want to look down mainly because the row un front was to low down to offer you no real protection if you stumbled forward I can only assume the top rows of any extended stand will with the angel of gradient be even worse and I'ed certainly would be very scared of sitting in those new top rows.

I take it that you haven't been to Wigan and sat right at the top of the stand at th JJB? That does seem really steep and high.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 31 Jul 2012 11:35

Stranded
Harpers So Solid Crew Agree with WR here, the season has not even started yet, and only south stand tickets are available , £40 to watch Spurs or Newcastle and the club can oxf*rd right off.

It would be £40 even if it were a 30k stadium.

We don't know that at all though.

With greater capacity prices may even come down a tad, and even if they don't, the flexibilty and capability to run a lot more attractive price/multi-ticket based promotions increases.

I'd expect to see a lot more deals being done if we had 30k seats instead of the current 24k.

I'm in near total agreement with both the WRs on the first stage of expansion. If we can afford it then it's a no-brainer now and will be a great investment in the furture of the club.

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 31 Jul 2012 13:32

and if we get 96+% attendances on that 40k is a no brainer as well

riverroyal

Stadium expansion in very near future????

by riverroyal » 08 Oct 2012 15:46

Have just read that the Rugby World Cup organisers for the 2015 tournament held in England are reducing the grounds down from 17 to 12 for the finals.

Considering our ground has been used for years I was surprised we are not in the list for hosting one of these games, but then again could it be we never bid as we will extending the stadium at that time?

The list of grounds for the rugby world cup are

1.Villa Park, Birmingham
2.Brighton Community Stadium, Brighton
3.Ashton Gate, Bristol
4.Millennium Stadium, Cardiff
5.Coventry Stadium, Coventry
6.Pride Park, Derby
7.Kingsholm, Gloucester
8.Elland Road, Leeds
9.Leicester City Stadium, Leicester
10.Olympic Stadium, London
11.Twickenham Stadium, London
12.Wembley Stadium, London
13.Old Trafford, Manchester
14.Stadiummk, Milton Keynes
15.St James’ Park, Newcastle
16.St Mary’s Stadium, Southampton
17.Stadium of Light, Sunderland

Fox Talbot
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Stadium expansion in very near future????

by Fox Talbot » 08 Oct 2012 16:01

Excellent news.

Keep rugby out of Reading.

Alexander Litvinenko
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Winner - HNA? Music Quiz 2013. The Great Sounds of Polonium 210.

by Alexander Litvinenko » 08 Oct 2012 16:03

Too close to London for things like this - tournament organisers want stadiums out in the regions or in London, and we're neither.

riverroyal

by riverroyal » 08 Oct 2012 17:01

Unless rugby will no longer be at the Madstad . . .

Wasnt there a Premier League ruling coming in that says clubs can not share their grounds with rugby teams?

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 08 Oct 2012 17:03

riverroyal Unless rugby will no longer be at the Madstad . . .

Wasnt there a Premier League ruling coming in that says clubs can not share their grounds with rugby teams?

Won't apply to Reading after this season.

TheRoyalJoe

by TheRoyalJoe » 08 Oct 2012 17:40

If we stay up were expanding the stadium anyway.

1747 posts