Speculation : Shane Long to return

598 posts
Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Speculation : Shane Long to return

by Ian Royal » 11 Aug 2012 02:17

Fairly well known that we don't operate with a set transfer budget, but have a wage structure and money that can be made available to sign the right person at the right price. McDermott will have been given an idea of what resources he has available, but it'll be up to him and Hammond to prize open the purse strings to each signing.

It's a good system that works. Give a football manager a commitment of £10m to spend on transfers, and they'll spend £12m. Given them £20m and they'll spend £25m.

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 11 Aug 2012 08:42

Unlike Stevie Coppell - MrMad gave him £10million and he spent a fiver ...

gazzer, loyal royal
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Khalifa Cisse sleeps with the light on, not because he is afraid of the dark, but because the dark i

by gazzer, loyal royal » 11 Aug 2012 08:55

Royalwaster Unlike Stevie Coppell - MrMad gave him £10million and he spent a fiver ...

yawn

Hampshire Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Hampshire Royal » 11 Aug 2012 10:07

TheSiege See the Lukaku thread, which should be subsumed into this one. They both incorrectly think that Long may return to us! We can do much better if we are still prepared to spend money.

Seems odd to use 'subsumed' when talking about threads speculating on Long and Lukaku. Surely you mean the threads should be merged, unless you think that the signing of Long would be bigger thsn the signing of Lukaku. To my mind, I would simply have said 'merged' but if I found it necessary to use 'subsumed' I might have suggested that the Long thread should be subsumed into the Lukaku thread. But I'm not a prententious little prick who seems to want to show his 'superior knowledge' by using words that are a little bit different to the words used by us 'normal' people.

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 11 Aug 2012 10:23

Hampshire Royal
TheSiege See the Lukaku thread, which should be subsumed into this one. They both incorrectly think that Long may return to us! We can do much better if we are still prepared to spend money.

Seems odd to use 'subsumed' when talking about threads speculating on Long and Lukaku. Surely you mean the threads should be merged, unless you think that the signing of Long would be bigger thsn the signing of Lukaku. To my mind, I would simply have said 'merged' but if I found it necessary to use 'subsumed' I might have suggested that the Long thread should be subsumed into the Lukaku thread. But I'm not a prententious little prick who seems to want to show his 'superior knowledge' by using words that are a little bit different to the words used by us 'normal' people.

'Prententious' is a little bit different, to be fair.

RockheadRumple

by RockheadRumple » 11 Aug 2012 16:03

Extended-Phenotype
Hampshire Royal

I think 'Ghey' would do just fine.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 12 Aug 2012 00:35

It must be getting very tiring going around with those massive chips on your shoulders. Take them off and have a holiday from egomania for a while.

Royal Bahamas

by Royal Bahamas » 12 Aug 2012 04:23

Ian Royal It must be getting very tiring going around with those massive chips on your shoulders. Take them off and have a holiday from egomania for a while.

Totally agree.

Siege, as I have stated on here before.....you have a lot of insightful comments made on HobNob. If you left your ego at home, you might just be gaining some of that respect that you apparently crave.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 12 Aug 2012 10:09

With Cox going to Forest, I can't see WBA now also wanting to let Shane go.

End of rumour?

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 12 Aug 2012 10:27

Royal Bahamas Siege, as I have stated on here before.....you have a lot of insightful comments made on HobNob.

Where?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 12 Aug 2012 13:07

Royal Lady With Cox going to Forest, I can't see WBA now also wanting to let Shane go.

End of rumour?

Don't think it was ever a serious prospect, but I also don't expect it to go away any time soon. Expect it to rear up again in January and next summer.

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 13 Aug 2012 07:49

TheSiege If being educated, opinionated and knowledgable (with a side salad of 'giving as good as I get') means to you that I have chips on my shoulder - so be it! You may be right but none of them are to do with RFC or this site. Perhaps you should look at yourself in the mirror and confront your feelings of inadequency!

You're dominating every thread with being a monumental arse. You're pissing everyone off. Will you please just give it a rest or get lost.

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 13 Aug 2012 08:53

TheSiege
Extended-Phenotype
Hampshire Royal

Being Au Fait with the English language is not a Capital Offence. However, being unable to spell Pretentious says it all really! Don't come out with cr*p about things that you don't understand!

I'm quoting him you retarded f/cking titsock. That was the whole point. The only thing you are 'au fait' with is emergency service level masturbation.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 13 Aug 2012 13:26

Not reading what has been said on this thread so far, obviously, but my sources tell me this move is quite the possibility

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 13 Aug 2012 14:34

Silver Fox Not reading what has been said on this thread so far, obviously, but my sources tell me this move is quite the possibility

8)

LightwaterRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by LightwaterRoyal » 13 Aug 2012 22:49

TheSiege
Big Foot
Silver Fox Not reading what has been said on this thread so far, obviously, but my sources tell me this move is quite the possibility

8)

If he was a free-transfer on low wages you might well be right. He is'nt and it ain't going to occur!

Neither is Jordan Rhodes but seem to think Anton is going to sign him, and build a statue of him in the car park in 10 years time

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 13 Aug 2012 22:53

TheSiege
Big Foot

8)

If he was a free-transfer on low wages you might well be right. He is'nt and it ain't going to occur!

More likely to happen that Rhodes / Zaha / Sinclair / any other player you're pinning your hopes on us signing. Now go and play with traffic you utter Bellend

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 13 Aug 2012 23:22

There's a difference between being linked to a player and signing a player. It is far more likely we will sign Shane Long.

Look at the last 9/10 years of our club's history - our managers tend to sign players they've worked with before as the risk of them not fulfilling expectations is lesser - this further evidences that we are more likely to sign Shane Long.

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 14 Aug 2012 08:41

TheSiege If we had spent the last ten years ONLY signing players that the Managers had worked with previously, we would not now be in the Prem. Players brought into RFC in the last ten years, who had not previously worked with the Manager at the time, probably outweigh the ones who did and were certainly the ones who produced two promotions!

Please show me where I said we signed ONLY players our managers had previously worked with.

Look back at the 05/06 squad - Ingimarsson, Sidwell, Hunt had all worked with Coppell before RFC. Even before that season (though doubt you were around in your defence) you had the likes of Owusu and Brooker brought in by Coppell. He even preferred to re-sign Little and Kitson when we desperately needed fresh personnel towards end of 08/09 season!

Even in the most recent squads McDermott has put together there's evidence of this - he's known Jason Roberts for years and years so is familiar with him (dating back to non-league days for sides in the Slough/Uxbridge area). He's re-signed Nicky Shorey. He re-signed Zurab for a 2nd loan season. Re-signed Griffin after a successful loan spell.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 14 Aug 2012 22:58

No please God no I don't want Mr Zero back.

598 posts