Speculation : Shane Long to return

598 posts
Elm Park Pasty

Re: Speculation : Shane Long to return

by Elm Park Pasty » 16 Aug 2012 15:32

TheSiege Many centuries ago, a man ran from the Thermopolae pass in Greece, to inform the authorities of Sparta that 300 men, under one of their co-kings, were about to join battle with the whole Persian army. He spoke only truth and had been ordered to do what he did by has commander. Such was his achievement in doing this, that The Marathon was added to The Olympic Games to laud his achievement. Of course, he was called a coward at the time and was widely derided by the Spartans who had not put their lives on the line. I am TheSiege, I may sometimes bring bad news to people who wish to push their heads into the sand, I may sometimes suggest upgrades to our playing staff, that people disagree with, but, don't blame the messenger! I speak the truth as I see it! When people abuse me for this, I verbally hammer them! Simples!

Er ok um slightly pedant mode on. You may be getting your Battle of Marathon and Battle of Thermopylae slightly mixed up. The guy who was sent as a messenger, Pheidippides, was meant to have been asking for Spartan help, as it was the Athenians that fought the Persians at Marathon. It was an historically inaccurate myth that he ran to Athens which inspired the Marathon, if he did run it would have been to Sparta. The absence of mention of this runner from the accounts of Herodotus, who wrote the history of the battle on eyewitness accounts 30-40 years after the event has led some to question whether it occurred at all.

The man who received scorn from Spartans after Thermopylae was called Aristodemus. He was sent home before the battle by King Leonidas as he had an eye infection alongside another soldier called Eurytus. Eurytus, though blind, went back to the battle and died. Thus, Aristodemus was regarded as a coward and derided. He was killed fighting at the Battle of Platea the next year, where the stain of cowardice was removed but he was still not regarded as a hero as he died in an act of suicidal recklessness. Ok pedant off. : :oops:

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 16 Aug 2012 15:36

TheSiege
Many centuries ago, a man ran from the Thermopolae pass in Greece, to inform the authorities of Sparta that 300 men, under one of their co-kings, were about to join battle with the whole Persian army. He spoke only truth and had been ordered to do what he did by has commander. Such was his achievement in doing this, that The Marathon was added to The Olympic Games to laud his achievement. Of course, he was called a coward at the time and was widely derided by the Spartans who had not put their lives on the line. I am TheSiege, I may sometimes bring bad news to people who wish to push their heads into the sand, I may sometimes suggest upgrades to our playing staff, that people disagree with, but, don't blame the messenger! I speak the truth as I see it! When people abuse me for this, I verbally hammer them! Simples!

Siege, I have no wish to engage in any "bashing" but you seem to be mixing up your history.

Not sure what this has to do with anything, but

The "300" was a spirited resistance, by SPARTANS, but they were betrayed and ultimately slaughtered to a man.

The victory reported by Pheidippides (the runner, an Athenian soldier) was a full-scale battle AT Marathon - ATHENIANS versus Persians
and was the battle that showed the Persians could be defeated and allowed the full flourishing of the Greek Civilisation

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 16 Aug 2012 15:37

cross-post

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 16 Aug 2012 15:43

Snowball cross-post

What are you angry about?

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 16 Aug 2012 15:44

Snowball
TheSiege
Many centuries ago, a man ran from the Thermopolae pass in Greece, to inform the authorities of Sparta that 300 men, under one of their co-kings, were about to join battle with the whole Persian army. He spoke only truth and had been ordered to do what he did by has commander. Such was his achievement in doing this, that The Marathon was added to The Olympic Games to laud his achievement. Of course, he was called a coward at the time and was widely derided by the Spartans who had not put their lives on the line. I am TheSiege, I may sometimes bring bad news to people who wish to push their heads into the sand, I may sometimes suggest upgrades to our playing staff, that people disagree with, but, don't blame the messenger! I speak the truth as I see it! When people abuse me for this, I verbally hammer them! Simples!

Siege, I have no wish to engage in any "bashing" but you seem to be mixing up your history.

Not sure what this has to do with anything, but

The "300" was a spirited resistance, by SPARTANS, but they were betrayed and ultimately slaughtered to a man.

Wasn't just Spartans tbf

bigmike
Hob Nob Regular

by bigmike » 16 Aug 2012 15:44

TheSiege Many centuries ago, a man ran from the Thermopolae pass in Greece, to inform the authorities of Sparta that 300 men, under one of their co-kings, were about to join battle with the whole Persian army. He spoke only truth and had been ordered to do what he did by has commander. Such was his achievement in doing this, that The Marathon was added to The Olympic Games to laud his achievement. Of course, he was called a coward at the time and was widely derided by the Spartans who had not put their lives on the line. I am TheSiege, I may sometimes bring bad news to people who wish to push their heads into the sand, I may sometimes suggest upgrades to our playing staff, that people disagree with, but, don't blame the messenger! I speak the truth as I see it! When people abuse me for this, I verbally hammer them! Simples!

BELLEND!!!!!!!!!!!!

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 16 Aug 2012 15:47

So not only was it badly spelt and poorly written, it was factually wrong too.

And the guy thinks he's a writer...

Elm Park Pasty

by Elm Park Pasty » 16 Aug 2012 15:51

Extended-Phenotype So not only was it badly spelt and poorly written, it was factually wrong too.

And the guy thinks he's a writer...

Yes a fiction writer I would guess.

Royal Bahamas

by Royal Bahamas » 16 Aug 2012 17:04

Many centuries ago, a man ran from the Thermopolae pass in Greece, to inform the authorities of Sparta that 300 men, under one of their co-kings, were about to join battle with the whole Persian army. He spoke only truth and had been ordered to do what he did by has commander. Such was his achievement in doing this, that The Marathon was added to The Olympic Games to laud his achievement. Of course, he was called a coward at the time and was widely derided by the Spartans who had not put their lives on the line. I am TheSiege, I may sometimes bring bad news to people who wish to push their heads into the sand, I may sometimes suggest upgrades to our playing staff, that people disagree with, but, don't blame the messenger! I speak the truth as I see it! When people abuse me for this, I verbally hammer them! Simples![/quote]

I am beginning to think the your name, "TheSiege", was thought through by you, as to your plan for holding HNA 'to siege', surrounding every possible format and focus, to eventually have HNA succumb to your will!

Well, as others state on here.....Good luck with that m8!

Elm Park Pasty

by Elm Park Pasty » 16 Aug 2012 17:34

Royal Bahamas Many centuries ago, a man ran from the Thermopolae pass in Greece, to inform the authorities of Sparta that 300 men, under one of their co-kings, were about to join battle with the whole Persian army. He spoke only truth and had been ordered to do what he did by has commander. Such was his achievement in doing this, that The Marathon was added to The Olympic Games to laud his achievement. Of course, he was called a coward at the time and was widely derided by the Spartans who had not put their lives on the line. I am TheSiege, I may sometimes bring bad news to people who wish to push their heads into the sand, I may sometimes suggest upgrades to our playing staff, that people disagree with, but, don't blame the messenger! I speak the truth as I see it! When people abuse me for this, I verbally hammer them! Simples!

I am beginning to think the your name, "TheSiege", was thought through by you, as to your plan for holding HNA 'to siege', surrounding every possible format and focus, to eventually have HNA succumb to your will!

Well, as others state on here.....Good luck with that m8![/quote]

I just thought it was some sort of reference to the paranoia he feels 24/7 as he feels the world crowd in against him?!

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 18 Aug 2012 18:56

TheSiege isn't a reincarnation of Snowball is he? :| :o

LightwaterRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by LightwaterRoyal » 18 Aug 2012 19:22

Royal Lady TheSiege isn't a reincarnation of Snowball is he? :| :o

Say what you like about Snowball, but he does occasionally come up with useful and interesting bits of information

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 19 Aug 2012 01:05

bigmike

BELLEND!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think we've found Siege has a catchphrase!

peterroyal76
Hob Nob Regular
Location: North stand B13.......where all the empty seats are!

by peterroyal76 » 19 Aug 2012 17:20

I see Shane hasn't forgotten how to fall over.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 19 Aug 2012 17:30

And the LOLlerpool defenders haven't forgotten how to be clumsy oafs.

Dare to Dr£am
Hob Nob Regular

by Dare to Dr£am » 19 Aug 2012 17:45

peterroyal76 I see Shane hasn't forgotten how to fall over.

Or miss a penalty. That was terrible. The stupid run/skip up and then passed it to the keeper.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 20 Aug 2012 16:47

Royal Lady TheSiege isn't a reincarnation of Snowball is he? :| :o

Either that or they're from the same ward.

LightwaterRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by LightwaterRoyal » 20 Aug 2012 17:39

TheSiege If Prem teams want to remain in the Prem they need signings like Michu. I know why RFC supporters love our ex-players like Long or Doyle or Hunt but, having sold them, they become too expensive for us to sign back. The bankrupt European market is a much more favourable stamping-ground and we could potentially secure our Prem sataus by looking there!

Signings like Michu that nobody had ever heard of and was untested at premiership level?

leww_rfc
Hob Nob Regular

by leww_rfc » 20 Aug 2012 17:48

LightwaterRoyal
TheSiege If Prem teams want to remain in the Prem they need signings like Michu. I know why RFC supporters love our ex-players like Long or Doyle or Hunt but, having sold them, they become too expensive for us to sign back. The bankrupt European market is a much more favourable stamping-ground and we could potentially secure our Prem sataus by looking there!

Signings like Michu that nobody had ever heard of and was untested at premiership level?

One game against a different QPR side doesnt prove a lot tbf

JordCot

by JordCot » 20 Aug 2012 17:57

leww_rfc
LightwaterRoyal

One game against a different QPR side doesnt prove a lot tbf

I had never heard of him but he did score like 15 in la liga from midfield and was the highest scoring midfielder in la liga so I'd guess the people in the know would have. How swansea got him so cheap is ridiculous luck and good initiative and I suppose having a manger who knew that league very well (I think all their signing have come from la liga)

598 posts