Guthrie

132 posts
milyondollasmile

Re: Guthrie

by milyondollasmile » 30 Sep 2012 23:00

He's been better than Ledge. Harshly dropped IMO, but probably the right decision given the way we'll have to play from now on. Up to him now to adapt his game slightly.[/quote]

I agree Ledge started slow last season and finished off the season scoring important goals and having some great performances. I think he switches off when Guthrie is playing instead of going forward he'll leave all the attacking(centre midfield) play to Guthrie??? when we played WBA he got better when Guthrie came off. I prefer jem and ledge in the middle personally.

old woman

by old woman » 30 Sep 2012 23:06

Royal Lady How can you not like a player because of how he sounds on BBCRB and you've not seen them play "in the flesh" so to speak.

I thought Guthrie has played well. I think, as with Pearce, all the players in some areas are of a comparable standard, so when everyone is fit some players will have to sit out, but it's not really based on anything they've particularly done wrong themselves. I'm sure he'll get his chance again.

Apologies for not getting to the games but 600 mile round trip is awkward- but you do get a flavour of what is happening via radio commentary. If not Tim may as well not bother.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 30 Sep 2012 23:32

cmonurz
leon
Cripple Creek The thing about (well this is my view anyway) 'creative midfielders' is that unless you are either willing and able to build your attacking play largely around them they will end up being pretty ineffective. There are instances where the player is so exceptional - English examples being Gazza, Hoddle, Le Tizz - that this doesn't present too many problems but with some others, even if they possess a large amount of talent such as Guthrie, it is quite a high risk strategy. It puts enormous reliance on other players to play within a system which requires that they themselves have a degree of skill and ball awareness that I'm not sure all of the rest of the Reading team have, a couple of exceptions being Mariappa, McAnuff, Kebe.

yes, but he's just not creative or talented. That's the issue.

For sandman and McCarthy, read Leon and Guthrie. Much better ways to make your point than that ridiculousness.

Right, so you're agreeing with the comparison of Guthrie's talent with Gazza, Hoddle and Le Tissier? I haven't seen anything from Guthrie (even in a 5 man midfield) to support his inclusion in the team. He was a passenger. I'm not saying he's sh1t but I'd like to see him put a shift in - tackle, work hard, and also understand the way we play. Quickly and direct.

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 30 Sep 2012 23:35

No I'm nt agreeing with that. I am disagreeing with you that he has no creativity or talent. He was our best player against Stoke and Chelsea, but has struggled since.

In a sense it's a shame he doesn't quite seem to fit with McDermott's plans, as I've always enjoyed watching his sort of player, but I think Guthrie has it in him to push his way back into the team. For now though, Ledge (who started the season poorly) and Karacan deserve to keep the shirts.

Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

by Simon's Church » 30 Sep 2012 23:36

Played well against Stoke but since then it's been like watching Gudjohnsen try to fit in at Stoke. If all McDermott wanted was another punter/tackler then Guthrie's probably just a wasted salary tbh.

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 30 Sep 2012 23:37

Fair point actually. Not sure exactly what McDermott thought he was buying.

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 30 Sep 2012 23:48

Seems like he's not really a 'Reading' player. But we'll see. We have to play to our strengths, keep our 'identity' as Brian has said.

We've got that back again (on the basis of the last two games) and, with all due respect to Guthrie, that's what's going to keep us in this league, not pretty passing and lack of speed.

He's got to force his way back in now somehow.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 01 Oct 2012 00:01

cmonurz No I'm nt agreeing with that. I am disagreeing with you that he has no creativity or talent. He was our best player against Stoke and Chelsea, but has struggled since.

In a sense it's a shame he doesn't quite seem to fit with McDermott's plans, as I've always enjoyed watching his sort of player, but I think Guthrie has it in him to push his way back into the team. For now though, Ledge (who started the season poorly) and Karacan deserve to keep the shirts.

my original comment was based on the post that suggested he was especially (compared to the rest of the team) creative or talented. I'm not seeing that, I'm not sure he contributes enough. I want him to be good. To say I'm conducting a witch hunt on the lines of sandman's anti feds business is frankly ridiculousness (to quote you).

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 01 Oct 2012 08:26

old woman
Royal Lady How can you not like a player because of how he sounds on BBCRB and you've not seen them play "in the flesh" so to speak.

I thought Guthrie has played well. I think, as with Pearce, all the players in some areas are of a comparable standard, so when everyone is fit some players will have to sit out, but it's not really based on anything they've particularly done wrong themselves. I'm sure he'll get his chance again.

Apologies for not getting to the games but 600 mile round trip is awkward- but you do get a flavour of what is happening via radio commentary. If not Tim may as well not bother.

That's my point though - you can't rely on Tim's assessment - look at how he was sticking up for Feds the other week and wouldn't have a bad word said against him and where is Feds now?

I just think it's harsh to base your own liking of a player on something you've heard said on a radio broadcast - that's all!

Cypry

by Cypry » 01 Oct 2012 09:40

cmonurz Fair point actually. Not sure exactly what McDermott thought he was buying.

I suspect McD knew exactly what he was buying - look at the way he set the team up for Chelsea / Spurs, Guthrie was right at the centre of his plans....
Thing is, for the last two games he's reverted to the more direct game we played last year, and it's working - I don't think he planned or expected to be playing that direct, and therefore Guthrie would've been a better fit, but as it is, he's got a formula that's working and Guthrie is going to have to find a way to work with it.....

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 01 Oct 2012 11:16

Royal Lady
old woman

That's my point though - you can't rely on Tim's assessment - look at how he was sticking up for Feds the other week and wouldn't have a bad word said against him and where is Feds now?

I just think it's harsh to base your own liking of a player on something you've heard said on a radio broadcast - that's all!

feds is a good player though, and some of the stuff said about him has been over the top.saying that has no bearing on guthrie- who was really poor in the two games that tim was criticising him in

southbank1871
Hob Nob Regular
Location: And yeah I'd love to tell you all my problem, you're not from New York City you're from Rotherham

by southbank1871 » 01 Oct 2012 12:00

I think Guthrie is the kind of player who is too much of a luxury for a team like us to have in midfield, as he just doesn't do enough. I'm sure if he was given loads of time and space he would be able to pick out passes, but otherwise, from what I've seen of him, he gives the ball away far too much and doesn't really tackle.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 01 Oct 2012 12:05

perfect for 451 vs top 6 clubs imo

southbank1871
Hob Nob Regular
Location: And yeah I'd love to tell you all my problem, you're not from New York City you're from Rotherham

by southbank1871 » 01 Oct 2012 12:09

There may be something in that Brendy, but you'd have expected him to thrive against Spurs in that case. Obviously everyone was rubbish, but Guthrie was particularly shit and ineffective that day.

HoneyRoastHoax
Hob Nob Regular

by HoneyRoastHoax » 01 Oct 2012 12:25

Hes a footballer, he kicks a ball around. He just needs to learn to kick a ball to a guy wearing the same shirt a different way and time. Its not like thats it for him!

I think he has the ability to be one of our best players

Albert Spangler
Hob Nob Regular

by Albert Spangler » 01 Oct 2012 12:43

I think that McD loves a 4-2-3-1 and, with Guthrie, he's looking to replicate The Sig.

However, there's no replica for Long so it just won't work. Long alone has the finishing & work rate of two of Pog, Hunt, ALF & Roberts so none of them alone can make the above formation work.

As such, we need to stick to 4-4-2 against anyone, as Brendo says, outside the top 6. That includes Liverpool in a few weeks, btw.

RFCSPACE

by RFCSPACE » 01 Oct 2012 13:04

He's technically our best player by a long way, but he needs to adapt to the way the team plays. Thankfully he's willing to adapt which will only make us stronger when he's up to speed.

PistolPete
Hob Nob Regular

by PistolPete » 01 Oct 2012 13:19

Guthrie is class and he CAN fit in with Reading.

Whenever we play 5 in midfield he'll play, whenever Legs or Jem is injured/suspended he'll play. I think the Reading 'direct' play is close to being totally out of date and Guthrie will help us move forward.

Great player.

Stuboo

by Stuboo » 01 Oct 2012 14:23

I think he'll be a good player for us once he adapts to his new team. He could play in a 4-4-1-1 just behind the striker or in a 4-4-2 in central midfield IMO.

rob the royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rob the royal » 02 Oct 2012 12:12

He shouldnt be giving away our tactics on twitter... anyone could see them.

Stephen Fry for example.

132 posts