Guthrie

132 posts
Alexander Litvinenko
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Winner - HNA? Music Quiz 2013. The Great Sounds of Polonium 210.

Re: Guthrie

by Alexander Litvinenko » 02 Oct 2012 12:31

I was talking to someone who is definitely ITK at the weekend.

The opinion is that, at the moment, Guthrie is too good for the current Reading team and it's style of play. He's naturally talented (and would have started for Newcastle) but his natural style doesn't really "fit" our style of hassling and closing down, so he has to learn top adapt to it. Once he does he'll be a revelation.

peterroyal76
Hob Nob Regular
Location: North stand B13.......where all the empty seats are!

by peterroyal76 » 02 Oct 2012 15:09

Stuboo I think he'll be a good player for us once he adapts to his new team. He could play in a 4-4-1-1 just behind the striker or in a 4-4-2 in central midfield IMO.

I agree, a lot of players take time to adjust to new clubs. If we'd beat Stoke as we should have done and held on against Chelsea people on here would be calling for to be picked for England.

Royal Biscuitman
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal Biscuitman » 02 Oct 2012 16:01

Alexander Litvinenko I was talking to someone who is definitely ITK at the weekend.

The opinion is that, at the moment, Guthrie is too good for the current Reading team and it's style of play. He's naturally talented (and would have started for Newcastle) but his natural style doesn't really "fit" our style of hassling and closing down, so he has to learn top adapt to it. Once he does he'll be a revelation.
Let's hope we don't sign Lionel Messi in January as it'll take him half a season to unlearn his craft to fit in with the Reading style of play.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 02 Oct 2012 16:06

Alexander Litvinenko I was talking to someone who is definitely ITK at the weekend.

what you're basically saying is that doesn't work hard enough. Because other than that I can't see how a CM player who has great technique, movement and can pass the ball wouldn't fit in. (It's not as if he's 5 ft 3 striker and we play traditional long ball?)

Z175
Hob Nob Regular

by Z175 » 02 Oct 2012 16:35

We've signed Guthrie to fill that Howard/Matejovsky sized hole for someone who can pick a pass. Our key players are our wingers yet so often they begin their runs just outside our own box, meaning incredible play is required to build an attack. Therefore his passing range should be making opportunities. Yet its not really working as our wingers are used to receiving the ball deep and beating their man, all being played in by the full back. (This applies to McCleary/Gunter too). Therefore playing to Guthries strengths is more about adapting our play, rather than changing him. The tweets might indicate otherwise, but McDermott is the master of dropping players, being so used to it in his own career. "You're out because X won't be where you pass it" might upset Guthrie more than, "you just need time to adapt".

Likewise, If you look at the % of wins with Leigertwood / Karacan compared to any other in the past 2 years, its going to be staggering. Neithers a world beater, but together they are really on it. Legs can break up play effortlessly, but is able to commit more with Karacan racing behind him to cover. With Guthrie ahead of him he ambles backwards. Likewise Karacan is really mobile at tracking back and covering, but with Guthrie he'd have to make that first tackle so cant be on the edge of the box to help out if he doesnt win it, and lets face it hes not a particularly good tackler.

Jay Tabbs possibly been the victim of this too - he was great for half a season behind Howard and Sigurdsson, but Karacans passing is more about being high tempo, short vision rather than the long accurate balls of the other two, so Tabbs required to attack more too and together they're not strong enough to avoid being over run. Tabb/Legs on the other hand requires Tabb to do most the attacking and its not good enough goign forward for that.So ironically maybe if we ever resort to Tabb / Guthrie, you can see it working.

So in short I'm a big fan of all 4 players but its the box to box two that drove our playoff final bid and then promotion, as it was Harper Sidwell who took us up before and then to 8th.

We'll use Guthrie to good effect at some point I'm sure, but right now we need to recreate last seasons heroics.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 02 Oct 2012 17:04

old woman
Royal Lady How can you not like a player because of how he sounds on BBCRB and you've not seen them play "in the flesh" so to speak.

I thought Guthrie has played well. I think, as with Pearce, all the players in some areas are of a comparable standard, so when everyone is fit some players will have to sit out, but it's not really based on anything they've particularly done wrong themselves. I'm sure he'll get his chance again.

Apologies for not getting to the games but 600 mile round trip is awkward- but you do get a flavour of what is happening via radio commentary. If not Tim may as well not bother.

controversial view. Although tbh I do sometimes think that Tim may as well not bother when I'm listening to him.

Chuckle Brother

by Chuckle Brother » 03 Oct 2012 08:41

Pretty obvious really.

Until we get a foothold in this league our style of play needs to involve pressing the opposition and giving them no time on the ball.

While Guthrie is a decent passer if we stand off teams (Spurs) and give them time they will murder us.

Might get away with using him in a 4 5 1 but not sure want to e doing that, especially at home and against "lesser" teams.

surrounded by saints

by surrounded by saints » 03 Oct 2012 13:11

i personally thought guthrie looked pretty good,just wonder why we signed a player who plays a different style to the reading way. did nobody notice this before he was signed

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 03 Oct 2012 14:46

was a pretty obvious attempt across the team to change the way we played i think
we were knocking around in th emiddle and at the back too.
i just think it need to be gradual for it to work.

E. Andrew

by E. Andrew » 03 Oct 2012 21:18

leon

what you're basically saying is that doesn't work hard enough.

I think that's true to some extent. His passing is - at least relative to the rest of the team - superb, but he doesn't move as much as others. It's sort of like he's thinking "Here you are, perfect pass, take the ball and run with it, I'll wait here." I think he should eventually fit in. Unfortunate timing to drop him against Newcastle, but if BM wanted to carry on with the momentum from Loftus Road, it was needed.

Edit: And weighing his current style against a complementary pair of Legs and Jem, as stated above, it looked like it was time for a switch.

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 03 Oct 2012 22:20

Z175 We've signed Guthrie to fill that Howard/Matejovsky sized hole for someone who can pick a pass. Our key players are our wingers yet so often they begin their runs just outside our own box, meaning incredible play is required to build an attack. Therefore his passing range should be making opportunities. Yet its not really working as our wingers are used to receiving the ball deep and beating their man, all being played in by the full back. (This applies to McCleary/Gunter too). Therefore playing to Guthries strengths is more about adapting our play, rather than changing him. The tweets might indicate otherwise, but McDermott is the master of dropping players, being so used to it in his own career. "You're out because X won't be where you pass it" might upset Guthrie more than, "you just need time to adapt".

Likewise, If you look at the % of wins with Leigertwood / Karacan compared to any other in the past 2 years, its going to be staggering. Neithers a world beater, but together they are really on it. Legs can break up play effortlessly, but is able to commit more with Karacan racing behind him to cover. With Guthrie ahead of him he ambles backwards. Likewise Karacan is really mobile at tracking back and covering, but with Guthrie he'd have to make that first tackle so cant be on the edge of the box to help out if he doesnt win it, and lets face it hes not a particularly good tackler.

Jay Tabbs possibly been the victim of this too - he was great for half a season behind Howard and Sigurdsson, but Karacans passing is more about being high tempo, short vision rather than the long accurate balls of the other two, so Tabbs required to attack more too and together they're not strong enough to avoid being over run. Tabb/Legs on the other hand requires Tabb to do most the attacking and its not good enough goign forward for that.So ironically maybe if we ever resort to Tabb / Guthrie, you can see it working.

So in short I'm a big fan of all 4 players but its the box to box two that drove our playoff final bid and then promotion, as it was Harper Sidwell who took us up before and then to 8th.

We'll use Guthrie to good effect at some point I'm sure, but right now we need to recreate last seasons heroics.

Very good analysis indeed.

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 04 Oct 2012 00:19

Z175 We've signed Guthrie to fill that Howard/Matejovsky sized hole for someone who can pick a pass. Our key players are our wingers yet so often they begin their runs just outside our own box, meaning incredible play is required to build an attack. Therefore his passing range should be making opportunities. Yet its not really working as our wingers are used to receiving the ball deep and beating their man, all being played in by the full back. (This applies to McCleary/Gunter too). Therefore playing to Guthries strengths is more about adapting our play, rather than changing him. The tweets might indicate otherwise, but McDermott is the master of dropping players, being so used to it in his own career. "You're out because X won't be where you pass it" might upset Guthrie more than, "you just need time to adapt".

Agree with this. Guthrie will tear shreds off of teams who sit back the way we did last year with his passing. Playing against stronger opposition who are naturally going to come at "the new boys" doesn't suit him. We've seen glimpses already, and Guthrie will be massive for us once a couple of teams show us some respect (once we've earned it). I predict he'll have a huge game against Liverpool.

Stuboo

by Stuboo » 04 Oct 2012 00:44

Royal Ginger I predict he'll have a huge game against Liverpool.

Oooo. Is that a cheeky barb at Cmonurz? Don't rise to it!

Michael Meaker

by Michael Meaker » 04 Oct 2012 10:08

Article now on the Evening Post website explaining that he has apologised to McDermott for his Twitter rant:

http://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/footb ... itter_rant

Danny Guthrie has apologised to Reading manager Brian McDermott following an outburst on Twitter after Saturday’s 2-2 draw with Newcastle United.

The dropped midfielder didn’t feature against his former side and took to the social networking site to tell his 132,000 plus followers his frustrations.

The 25-year-old said: “Great point today and performance from the boys – for those asking I’m bitterly disappointed not to play.

“I’m trying to fit into the direct style of play the manager wants and I pass to (sic) much at the minute which is my best asset.

“I understand what the manger (sic) wants, but stopping habits like going and getting the ball of (sic) the back four is difficult.

“I will adapt to what is asked of me....The most important thing is the team!!!!”

On Monday Guthrie spoke to McDermott to say sorry for his actions.

McDermott explained: “He apologised for putting that on Twitter about the team, because that’s not what we’re really about.

“When I signed Danny I signed him because he can pass, score and I want him to get better. When I sign a player, my philosophy is that I want them to succeed. I’ve played for managers who I’m sure wanted people to fail.

“I want Danny to score goals and make goals and I think from his point of view he saw that game against Newcastle and it clicked to what we are about.

“He mentioned the word direct, but what is direct? We play with a tempo, we like to pass, we play through midfield, if it’s on we will knock it over the top, but we play with a certain tempo and pace.

“We have winger’s that can run, striker’s that work their socks off and midfielders who shut down and a back four that gets up the pitch.”

McDermott let Guthrie know that he wasn’t going to be in the starting line-up against the Magpies on Friday.

“His words to me were that he didn’t know what he wanted from me,” added McDermott.

“It’s difficult to explain it and I tried, but now he has seen it. He now knows what is required. But when you go on Twitter and you’re emotional and talk about the team and the way we play – that’s not what we’re about, you can’t do that.

“He’s said he is sorry and we move on. He is a good player and I want him to do his talking on the training pitch and in games.

“I want him to succeed and to succeed at Reading. I know manager’s who don’t speak to players out of the team, but that’s not my style.

“If I get respect I have no problem, if I don’t get respect, I won't tell them they’re not playing – that’s it. It’s straightforward and fair. Everyone knows where they stand.”

southbank1871
Hob Nob Regular
Location: And yeah I'd love to tell you all my problem, you're not from New York City you're from Rotherham

by southbank1871 » 04 Oct 2012 10:08

He's lazy and r8s himself too highly imo.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 04 Oct 2012 10:20

dont see anything wrong with what he said tbf.maybe just that he said anything publlicly at all.
but its sorted now anyway

mr_number
Hob Nob Regular

by mr_number » 04 Oct 2012 11:09

melonhead dont see anything wrong with what he said tbf.maybe just that he said anything publlicly at all.

Your laissez faire attitude to players' twitter remarks is never going to generate enough discussion on here, meloners. More outrage please.

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 04 Oct 2012 11:13

southbank1871 He's lazy and r8s himself too highly imo.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 04 Oct 2012 11:38

mr_number
melonhead dont see anything wrong with what he said tbf.maybe just that he said anything publlicly at all.

Your laissez faire attitude to players' twitter remarks is never going to generate enough discussion on here, meloners. More outrage please.

GGrrrrr
hang the bastard!

Upper West Ginger

by Upper West Ginger » 04 Oct 2012 11:44

Evening Post Website “We have winger’s that can run, striker’s that work their socks off and midfielders who shut down and a back four that gets up the pitch.”

We also appear to have journalist's (sic) that don't know how to use apostrophes.

132 posts