Guthrie

132 posts
Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Guthrie

by Ian Royal » 04 Oct 2012 12:04

melonhead dont see anything wrong with what he said tbf.maybe just that he said anything publlicly at all.
but its sorted now anyway

Yeah, didn't think there was anything to apologise for... other than perhaps a sarcastic comment about his passing too much.

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 04 Oct 2012 12:24

I think it gets Mcdermotts back up when people describe us as direct :lol:

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 04 Oct 2012 12:38

Only intelligent people should use Twitter....................then intelligent people probably don't. :shock: :wink:

Stuboo

by Stuboo » 04 Oct 2012 14:10

It appears it was the fact that Guthrie appeared to almost criticise Reading's style of play in public, which is what got McD's back up. I did find his comments strange at the time and have felt that he has the potential to be disruptive if allowed to be. I'm glad McD has had a word and that Guthrie appears to be towing the line. Onwards and upwards!

Stooper
Hob Nob Regular

by Stooper » 04 Oct 2012 14:37

southbank1871 He's lazy and r8s himself too highly imo.

Was absolutely shot down on the day he signed for saying this.

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 04 Oct 2012 14:53

132,000 followers on Twitter?

FFS :roll:

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 04 Oct 2012 15:24

Don't think the guy is lazy, and think McD brought him in to give us more options and add a bit of creativity in midfield.

We’ve struggled to adapt with any speed to a 4-5-1 system and Guthrie doesn’t quite have the bite (yet) to work in a team under pressure in a 4-4-2.

It’s our sluggishness in adapting as much his; either way will obviously take a little more time.

For now, I think it’s great to have him on the bench to come on and make an attacking difference when required. In our current predicament, we need to revert to what we know and get the points on the board.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 04 Oct 2012 15:27

ZacNaloen I think it gets Mcdermotts back up when people describe us as direct :lol:

only as its seen as in some way negative
when it is in many ways the most positive way to play!

personally i love the way we play
when rodgers tried that tippy tappy nonsense, i couldnt help but grumble and beg for the odd ball played into the channels or over the top

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 04 Oct 2012 16:02

I saw a Dortmund team play in a pressing, very counter attacking direct style using wings last night. I'd happily have some of that.

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 04 Oct 2012 16:06

leon I saw a Dortmund team play in a pressing, very counter attacking direct style using wings last night. I'd happily have some of that.

Yes they basically did us with more quality. Would love that every week.

old woman

by old woman » 04 Oct 2012 16:41

Would Tiote's ball for Ba's first goal be dismissed as direct?

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 04 Oct 2012 16:53

melonhead
ZacNaloen I think it gets Mcdermotts back up when people describe us as direct :lol:

only as its seen as in some way negative
when it is in many ways the most positive way to play!

personally i love the way we play
when rodgers tried that tippy tappy nonsense, i couldnt help but grumble and beg for the odd ball played into the channels or over the top

Inverting The Pyramid points out a popular system which based itself on the fact that most goals are scored within three passes.

We do things fairly direct, but personally I think we mix things up quite nicely under McD.

Plymouth_Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Plymouth_Royal » 04 Oct 2012 16:55

melonhead was a pretty obvious attempt across the team to change the way we played i think
we were knocking around in th emiddle and at the back too.
i just think it need to be gradual for it to work.

I dont think McD would bring in just the one player to change the way we play. That hasn't worked in the past (i.e. matejovsky.) and 1 player can't change it on his own. But I do agree that if we are going to change the direct style then it would have to be a gradual process.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 04 Oct 2012 16:56

old woman Would Tiote's ball for Ba's first goal be dismissed as direct?

It most certainly was direct. Direct isn't necessarily bad and isn't the same as route one long ball.

We've played direct high tempo football for years. Under Coppell in 05/06 and 06/07 it was fantastic stuff. It's also been utterly diabolical under both him and McDermott at times.

I'd like to see us be a bit more patient when something isn't on, rather than playing a low percentage ball into the channel with little hope of recovering it as often as we do. But this is more a product of whether we're in form or not. When we're playing well we do zip the ball around the deck a fair bit and generally play the right proportion of channel balls to keep the opposition guessing. It's just when we're out of sorts and in trouble we resort to just kick and hope.

Plymouth_Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Plymouth_Royal » 04 Oct 2012 16:58

It's true though. We've never been a pretty, passing side. We just get hit it long, get it to a wide man quickly and hope they can beat their man to cross the ball.

urz13
Hob Nob Regular
Location: The following statement is false. The previous statement is true.

by urz13 » 04 Oct 2012 17:39

Plymouth_Royal
melonhead was a pretty obvious attempt across the team to change the way we played i think

I dont think McD would bring in just the one player to change the way we play. That hasn't worked in the past (i.e. matejovsky.) and 1 player can't change it on his own. But I do agree that if we are going to change the direct style then it would have to be a gradual process.

:|

Marek was close to being on par with the Kebe. I love him, still do

Gav
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Gav » 04 Oct 2012 18:24

Upper West Ginger
Evening Post Website “We have winger’s that can run, striker’s that work their socks off and midfielders who shut down and a back four that gets up the pitch.”

We also appear to have journalist's (sic) that don't know how to use apostrophes.

I couldn't help but smirk at the highfalutin use of (sic) every couple of words when quoting Mr. Guthrie and then repeatedly making the same basic apostrophe mistake themselves.

Seems the Evening Post is a glass house full of stones.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 04 Oct 2012 18:35

urz13
Plymouth_Royal

:|

Marek was close to being on par with the Kebe. I love him, still do

He didn't do anything for us. Kebe gets more assists a season that Matejovsky got in his career with us. Karacan scores as many, if not more goals ffs. He looked pretty sometimes, but he never delivered.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 05 Oct 2012 11:40

potebntially ione of our best ever players
actually one of our worst
just never worked out for him on the pitch

MouldyRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by MouldyRoyal » 05 Oct 2012 11:45

melonhead potebntially ione of our best ever players