Guthrie

132 posts
Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Guthrie

by Extended-Phenotype » 05 Oct 2012 11:47

Marek was never played in the system and position which would have suited him. Arguably he'd be better off in today's side than he was back then. Shame it didn't work out.

Royalclapper
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalclapper » 05 Oct 2012 12:03

Come January, McD will have a tricky decision whether to either sell him, loan him out or buy another 4 players who can actually play a bit of nice stuff. Square pegs in round holes at the moment, I suppose a lot will rest how many points we have on the board by then. If we're struggling badly then a change of emphasis will be required as playing systems are exposed to all by then.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 05 Oct 2012 12:27

Extended-Phenotype Marek was never played in the system and position which would have suited him. Arguably he'd be better off in today's side than he was back then. Shame it didn't work out.

OUt of curiosity what position is that? He couldn't tackle to save his life and was slow so he couldn't play in a normal 4 man midfield. He dwelled on the ball too much sometimes and wasn't particularly good at going round people or scoring, so he wouldn't have done much damage as an attacking midfielder in the hole behind a lone striker.

I suppose he might have worked in a bizzare and narrow midfield in a more advanced role with three behind him and two strikers, where it's all about through balls rather than attacking the box and contributing goals.

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 05 Oct 2012 12:30

Ian Royal
Extended-Phenotype Marek....

...wasn't particularly good at ...scoring

Eh? How about his goal against Liverpool at Anfield? :|

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 05 Oct 2012 12:30

Ian Royal
Extended-Phenotype Marek was never played in the system and position which would have suited him. Arguably he'd be better off in today's side than he was back then. Shame it didn't work out.

OUt of curiosity what position is that? He couldn't tackle to save his life and was slow so he couldn't play in a normal 4 man midfield. He dwelled on the ball too much sometimes and wasn't particularly good at going round people or scoring, so he wouldn't have done much damage as an attacking midfielder in the hole behind a lone striker.

I suppose he might have worked in a bizzare and narrow midfield in a more advanced role with three behind him and two strikers, where it's all about through balls rather than attacking the box and contributing goals.

Yeah, you are right. He wasn’t a footballer at all and should have worked in a shoe shop.

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 05 Oct 2012 12:36

Behind the striker at the top of a pyramid is exactly the position he played in for the Czechs and at his previous club.

RoyalX

by RoyalX » 05 Oct 2012 12:53

Extended-Phenotype
melonhead
ZacNaloen I think it gets Mcdermotts back up when people describe us as direct :lol:

only as its seen as in some way negative
when it is in many ways the most positive way to play!

personally i love the way we play
when rodgers tried that tippy tappy nonsense, i couldnt help but grumble and beg for the odd ball played into the channels or over the top

Inverting The Pyramid points out a popular system which based itself on the fact that most goals are scored within three passes.

We do things fairly direct, but personally I think we mix things up quite nicely under McD.

... which was based on massively flawed research, as Jonathan Wilson says in the book.

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 05 Oct 2012 12:59

RoyalX
... which was based on massively flawed research, as Jonathan Wilson says in the book.

Fair enough. Twas ages since I read it. Wonder what the stats are, then?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 05 Oct 2012 18:11

SpaceCruiser
Ian Royal
Extended-Phenotype Marek....

...wasn't particularly good at ...scoring

Eh? How about his goal against Liverpool at Anfield? :|

Parkinson scored a screamer against Wolves. I take it you think he was a good goalscorer who could have played effectively off one striker as well then?

zac Behind the striker at the top of a pyramid is exactly the position he played in for the Czechs and at his previous club.

Wasn't that in the Czech league? I'm not sure how good it is compared to the Championship, let alone Premier League. I think I saw him in one game for his national side (for which I don't think he was really a regular) and I don't recall him playing particularly advanced, or doing much damage.

I suppose he might have worked in a team with two free scoring wingers as well as a good striker.

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 07 Oct 2012 17:35

He played in the position left vacant by rosickys injury, top of a diamond.

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict

by ZacNaloen » 07 Oct 2012 17:36

Oh and Guthries latest tweet, think he's slightly frustrated

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 07 Oct 2012 17:37

ZacNaloen Oh and Guthries latest tweet, think he's slightly frustrated

Too right, joke of a decision to drop him for Tabb.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 07 Oct 2012 17:38

would have been even more over run with him in there

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 07 Oct 2012 17:38

melonhead would have been even more over run with him in there

:|

We were overrun anyway and had nothing going forward. Dare and do.

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict

by ZacNaloen » 07 Oct 2012 17:42

melonhead would have been even more over run with him in there

He was asking hypothetically about matching up in midfield if you are over run.

I sarcastically replied about considering it if you somehow go 2-0 up....

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 07 Oct 2012 17:50

I tend to agree with Guthrie's point of view, but he absolutely has to learn to keep his gob shut in public or he can fuk off.

jamieroyal

by jamieroyal » 07 Oct 2012 19:42

Ian Royal I tend to agree with Guthrie's point of view, but he absolutely has to learn to keep his gob shut in public or he can fuk off.

+1

I understand why he feels frustrated, but if he starts to act like a big fish in a small pond, he's not going to get far at Reading. And to start talking about your former club on twitter shows a certain lack of respect to me. If he's half as good as he, and some of the fans think he is, then he should be able to adapt, and become a big player for the club this season. if he wants to waste his energy having sly digs on twitter then he can feck off as far as I'm concerned

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 07 Oct 2012 21:12

what has the poor little chap said?

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict

by ZacNaloen » 07 Oct 2012 21:20

@dannyguthrie20
The dilemma for managers, do you play 2 strikers and concede midfield or match them up and get some control in the game??

He was watching newcastle getting battered at the time, but it shows it's on his mind after yesterday

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 07 Oct 2012 21:21

ZacNaloen @dannyguthrie20
The dilemma for managers, do you play 2 strikers and concede midfield or match them up and get some control in the game??

He was watching newcastle getting battered at the time, but it shows it's on his mind after yesterday

I might just give him that one. Sneaky. :lol:

132 posts