Hob Nob Legend

Re: Guthrie

by leon » 07 Oct 2012 21:30

or he was playing PES

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 08 Oct 2012 00:48

Started off really liking Guthrie, thought he was the midfielder with a bit of 'je ne sais quoi' that we've lacked in the past but he's doing my head in with his tweets.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 08 Oct 2012 01:04

Big Foot Started off really liking Guthrie, thought he was the midfielder with a bit of 'je ne sais quoi' that we've lacked in the past but he's doing my head in with his tweets.

he's coming across as a bit of a prick. If I was BM I'd be thinking if this carries on much longer I'll get rid. If he'd shown much on the pitch then he might be worth it. Hopefully I'm wrong.

The Real Sandhurst Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by The Real Sandhurst Royal » 08 Oct 2012 06:57

Bye Bye Guthrie Bye Bye.

themadstad

by themadstad » 08 Oct 2012 08:33

This is hardly surprising, he's sat on the bench over a player who did the same in the Championship! In a team struggling down the bottom of the table.

My concern is he has before mentioned how McDermott wants him to adapt but surely he has watched him and thought what he offers will help us in such and such way. Bit of a risk bringing in a player and asking him to adapt to our way of play. We are hardly one for taking risks too.

ManchesterRoyals
Hob Nob Regular

by ManchesterRoyals » 08 Oct 2012 09:28

Big Foot Started off really liking Guthrie, thought he was the midfielder with a bit of 'je ne sais quoi' that we've lacked in the past but he's doing my head in with his tweets.

Whats he tweeted now?

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 08 Oct 2012 09:29

Extended-Phenotype
Ian Royal
Extended-Phenotype Marek was never played in the system and position which would have suited him. Arguably he'd be better off in today's side than he was back then. Shame it didn't work out.

OUt of curiosity what position is that? He couldn't tackle to save his life and was slow so he couldn't play in a normal 4 man midfield. He dwelled on the ball too much sometimes and wasn't particularly good at going round people or scoring, so he wouldn't have done much damage as an attacking midfielder in the hole behind a lone striker.

I suppose he might have worked in a bizzare and narrow midfield in a more advanced role with three behind him and two strikers, where it's all about through balls rather than attacking the box and contributing goals.

Yeah, you are right. He wasn’t a footballer at all and should have worked in a shoe shop.

:D :lol:

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 08 Oct 2012 18:19

Guthrie getting his chance against a strong arsenal line up in the u21 game tonight; if he shows he's taken on board mcdermotts Feedback I hope he gets his after the international break

themadstad

by themadstad » 08 Oct 2012 18:47

Thing is we need to absolutely all work as a team to really get anywhere. Jason Roberts once said something similar in that we had to be 100% etc.

We don't really have much quality and I feel the majority of our players would be useless in another team. Now Guthrie is a different player to what we generally have and the way he plays isn't quite the same as ours. My question is did Brian not see this? Or did he think he'd easily adapt? For Guthrie to really work I think we need further additions not that we don't anyway.

Mike Hunt
Hob Nob Regular

by Mike Hunt » 08 Oct 2012 18:56

Stuboo

by Stuboo » 08 Oct 2012 22:43

Yeah. He's a bit of a hot head. Not necessarilly a bad thing, if he can control it and use it in the right way. As I said in another thread, and got shouted down, remember the lobsters!

Upper West Ginger

by Upper West Ginger » 09 Oct 2012 00:01

Playing in the U21 team against Arsenal U21s tonight, he didn't exactly shine. He committed one horrible tackle on an Arsenal player that made me really wince. We could hear the collision in the stands, and I genuinely thought he had broken the poor lad's leg. It wasn't deliberate or malicious, just poorly timed.

Later on in the game he had a good spell and and was through clear on goal. Rather than taking the shot himself he hesitated, and the ball was cleared from his feet.

On the other hand he did pick one or two excellent passes which caught the Arsenal defence napping.

Overall I think he's a good player to have on the bench at the moment, but I'm not sure he's found his spot in the first team yet.

132 posts