Are we really that bad compared to 2006-8?

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

Are we really that bad compared to 2006-8?

by Archie's penalty » 10 Oct 2012 12:16

Now we've had a lot of moaning over the last couple of days, that the team doesn't pass the ball enough, that it looks for scraps, that it isn't good enough for the premier league.

i think it's good to cast our minds back to 2006-8 premiership adventure.

Firstly regarding 2006-7. We seem to have slightly mythologised this team. Sure we were devastating at times but we didn't really play possession football that year. There was a lot of scrappy wins (like against Wigan and Fulham at home for example). And there were some really bad defeats (Arsenal at home, Blackburn at home, Watford at home).

And don't even get me started about 2007-8, a shambles with some absolutely chaotic performances.

So I think it's time to reassess those seasons and think whether where we are is really that much lower than where we were then....

While we definitely need to improve I'm not really sure that what we are doing now is actually that much different to what we were doing then.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Are we really that bad compared to 2006-8?

by Royal Lady » 10 Oct 2012 12:31

I do think we're worse.

We had a fantastic midfield back then, not so great now. We had people who would run the wings with the ball - don't have anyone who can/wants to/is allowed to now.

Lacoste

by Lacoste » 10 Oct 2012 12:39

Just what we need - another thread on how good/bad out team is :|

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 10 Oct 2012 13:06

We are worse, but are we really that much worse that is the question?

It's not really about direct comparison, just that I'm not sure we are actually that bad...

Who Moved The Goalposts?

by Who Moved The Goalposts? » 10 Oct 2012 14:26

Archie's penalty We are worse, but are we really that much worse that is the question?

It's not really about direct comparison, just that I'm not sure we are actually that bad...

The difference is that the Sidwell/Harper combination had guile, creativity and energy - just streets ahead of the Leigertwood/Karacan combo which has some almost as much guile, a fair amount of energy but sadly zero creativity.

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 10 Oct 2012 14:27

I think it's foolish to compare a side that played 76 games with one that's played 6.

You can easily find 6 game samples where we were much worse and some to show we were much, much better.

Reading West

by Reading West » 10 Oct 2012 14:35

Interesting

It is not a case if we are that bad compared to 2006-8 the 2006-7 team found their feet much quicker in the PL than this team( the moral boosting 3-2 win from 0-2 down in our first game vs M'bourgh did help).

It has to be remembered that the 2007-8 team were barely in the bottom 3 until the last couple of weeks were we capitulated and allowed Fulham to overtake us on goal difference (it makes you wonder where Roy Hodgson would be now if that didn't happen).

I believe when the 2012 fully find their feet in the PL I think we can make a good fist of finishing top of our mini league of QPR, Norwich, Southampton and Villa.

Alexander Litvinenko
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Winner - HNA? Music Quiz 2013. The Great Sounds of Polonium 210.

by Alexander Litvinenko » 10 Oct 2012 14:43

Reading West I believe when the 2012 fully find their feet in the PL I think we can make a good fist of finishing top of our mini league of QPR, Norwich, Southampton and Villa.

The unknown quantity is how long it takes that "when" to happen. If it's in November we'll be ok. If its in February we won't.

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 10 Oct 2012 15:01

We've not won a game since that great night against Forest. :shock:

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 10 Oct 2012 15:09

Gordons Cumming We've not won a game since that great night against Forest. :shock:

How can you forget that epic pre-season win over Palace.....

...or two league cup games...

... or the Reading FC legends v Didcot?

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 10 Oct 2012 16:06

Gordons Cumming We've not won a league game since that great night against Forest. :shock:

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 10 Oct 2012 16:19

Never mind that, we've not won a Premier League game at home since March 2008

Coppell out :evil:

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 10 Oct 2012 23:05

Archie's penalty Now we've had a lot of moaning over the last couple of days, that the team doesn't pass the ball enough, that it looks for scraps, that it isn't good enough for the premier league.

Firstly regarding 2006-7. We seem to have slightly mythologised this team. Sure we were devastating at times but we didn't really play possession football that year. There was a lot of scrappy wins (like against Wigan and Fulham at home for example). And there were some really bad defeats (Arsenal at home, Blackburn at home, Watford at home).

And don't even get me started about 2007-8, a shambles with some absolutely chaotic performances.

So I think it's time to reassess those seasons and think whether where we are is really that much lower than where we were then....

While we definitely need to improve I'm not really sure that what we are doing now is actually that much different to what we were doing then.

I had been thinking the same and actually maybe all that is different is the luck isn't with us
I seem to remember quite a few games in 2006/07 where we just managed to hang on against a lot of pressure and superior ball control and skill. The home game v Man City is another one that comes to mind. Hobnob match report says

The game was similar to the Middlesbrough victory on the opening day in the season in some ways, with the visitors looking the better side in the early exchanges against an uncomfortable Reading. The Royals were second to the ball, failing to make tackles and putting in mis-placed passes, but soon settled down after going ahead.

Aganinst Chelsea and Newcastle and maybe Swansea (didn't see that one) with luck in our favour we could have held on to win.

So I agree We are not that much worse but I'm afraid that fact isn't going to help a jot and there is no reason to think that luck will even out. It doesn't it's just random like that

paddy20
Hob Nob Regular

by paddy20 » 11 Oct 2012 09:25

Overall I dont think there is much difference between the two squads. As ratings out of 10 I gave the 2006/7 team 157 as opposed to 154 for this year. However there were 3 stars in the first squad that I would rate between 8-9 Kitson, Sidwell and Doyle. The depth of the squad was poorer( Oster, Sodje Goldbourne etc). We have a more rounded squad with less 4/5 ratings. However we are missing the star performers that win you games, sometimes on their own and these are often forwards. Lets hope the Pog and Roberts can step up

royalsteve

by royalsteve » 11 Oct 2012 16:23

Archie's penalty Now we've had a lot of moaning over the last couple of days, that the team doesn't pass the ball enough, that it looks for scraps, that it isn't good enough for the premier league.

The first season the only bad result was 4-0 at home to arsenal, but they were a great side then and had henri. 2nd season wasnt too bad although the spurs and pompey results were bad, but was also beat liverpool 3-1 home that year when they still had a decent side. However this side doesnt compare to that side. nowhere near as good. we are more like stoke and will grind out results although they are better than us at that at the mo. still exciting though and if we stay up then mcd has done a brill job imo.

royalsteve

by royalsteve » 11 Oct 2012 16:25

paddy20 Overall I dont think there is much difference between the two squads. As ratings out of 10 I gave the 2006/7 team 157 as opposed to 154 for this year. However there were 3 stars in the first squad that I would rate between 8-9 Kitson, Sidwell and Doyle. The depth of the squad was poorer( Oster, Sodje Goldbourne etc). We have a more rounded squad with less 4/5 ratings. However we are missing the star performers that win you games, sometimes on their own and these are often forwards. Lets hope the Pog and Roberts can step up

hahahaha are you for real, this side is not in the same league, sorry but you are deluded if you think they are. if we played a match between the 2 side the 2006-7 squad would beat this on 4-0

royalsteve

by royalsteve » 11 Oct 2012 16:28

Who Moved The Goalposts?
Archie's penalty We are worse, but are we really that much worse that is the question?

The difference is that the Sidwell/Harper combination had guile, creativity and energy - just streets ahead of the Leigertwood/Karacan combo which has some almost as much guile, a fair amount of energy but sadly zero creativity.

agreed but the current plays a different tupe of football. we are more like stoke whereas the coppell side was nearer a liverpool style of football

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 11 Oct 2012 16:33

royalsteve
Who Moved The Goalposts?

agreed but the current plays a different tupe of football. we are more like stoke whereas the coppell side was nearer a liverpool style of football

Not sure if that's true. Unfortunately the whole team is in a bit of a transition period at the moment, dealing with the league and the new players who have been introduced.

Who knows what will be the outcome?

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 11 Oct 2012 16:44

Imho, 2007-08 RFC (on paper) >> 2012-13 RFC.

We will need to over-perform (again) to stay up.

moonwalklikebas

by moonwalklikebas » 11 Oct 2012 16:55

HAHNEMANN VS MCCARTHY = HAHNEMANN

MURTY - GUNTER/CUMMINGS =MURTY

GORKSS - SONKO = EVEN

PEARCE - INGY - 06 INGY

SHOREY - SHOREY =Errr...

KEBE - LITTLE =LITTLE

LEDGE AND JEM - HARPS AND SIDWELL = HARPS AND SIDWELL

MCANUFF - CONVEY = CONVEY

DOYLE - POG = DOYLE

LITA - ALF = ALF

What would you pick?