Jason Roberts...Do you sometimes find him annoying?!

1019 posts
RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

Re: Jason Roberts...Do you sometimes find him annoying?!

by RoyalBlue » 28 Oct 2012 16:40

Rsince67 i like the bloke. must be good in the dressing room

Not so sure. He seems to whinge quiet a bit at his teammates on the pitch. He had a right go at Cummings at one point and the error was probably equally his. Not the type of approach I'd expect from a senior, very experienced player towards a younger, inexperienced teammate.

Roberts is a good player but I'm not sure I like him so much as an individual.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 28 Oct 2012 17:15

RoyalBlue
SPARTA
harryroyal it's not pogs fault he just doesn't fit our style atm.

No, it really is his fault. He can't jump for shit. How can a big bloke like that not cause problems in the air? His work rate is also terrible.

That latter comment is such complete and utter b*llocks that it takes away any credibility from your comments. Did you not see how much he was closing defenders and the keeper down today? Did you not see how he was tracking back and challenging/tackling their defenders and midfielders as they tried to break forward? Were you at the game?

agreed- works very hard

thought he did ok tbf, held up the ball, made some flick ons etc

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 28 Oct 2012 17:22

melonhead
TheSiege Message to Melonhead. I have no idea why this racial thing affects you so but:-
1/ Look back over the vast football footage to see white players abusing everyone whilst black players are all total gentlemen.
2/ Look at how many black Asian peadophile rings are currently in court for preying on white teenagers.
3/ Look at the whole Terry thing and tell me that Ferdinand's tweet about Cole was not the most racist.
4/ Look at all of the decent white working people who have been abused by black footballers in bars, nightclubs etc. because they are not rich, whilst moronic black footballers are!
5/ Look at all of the white footballers who have recently been sent to court for assaulting the Police - Oh, sorry, he was black!

I have the greatest respect for all of these black footballers who are oppressed by £200,000 a week salaries and a media presence that I do not, as an englishman, enjoy.

The black footballers in this country are, indeed , seriously disadvantaged. White families, with children that they ca'nt feed due to the huge amount of financial migrants in this country, will obviously give them their full support!

lol- it effects me, cos it effects everyone in society, and i think its a cancer on the country that i love.

1.massive lol at thinking that black and white players habits of general abuse equates in any way to racism or the effect it has
2.people abusing teenagers is awful. the colour of either side makes no difference
3. both about the same, im not Trying to distinguish between reacism though, its all bad.
4. what has teh colour of their skin got to do with anything? abuse of everyone isnt very nice, and should be avoided.
5.assault is a crime, whats teh skin colour got to do with anything?
-does a black player earning 200,000 mean its ok to abuse him racialy or oterwise? does it mean he should just sit back and accept it?
your points are laughable, and pick you out as one of the racist to the core bigots ive been talking about on this thread when i say they dont have to do nazi salutes and attack black people violently to be a dangerous racist curse on our whole society.
thats you that is.

TheSiege To Melonhead. Beware of who you call a racist, whether you understand the term or not. Taking aside that my black friends would laugh their nuts off and then tell you exactly what a prat you are, if you do not understand what is - and what is'nt racist, you may get into deep doo-doos in the wider world. I would most certainly sue you for defamation of character were that comment made elsewhere!

You may be annoyed that I have a more balanced view than you but I challenge you:- Find a racist comment I have made anywhere on this site and I will provide my real details and you can pass them to the police. One proviso, you agree to the same! Because you are a bigger racist than I am and your posts show it!

whatchyagonnadoaboutit?
i can only judge by what i see. the comments you made above were the kind a racist makes.for the reasons ive kind of explained in my reply.
imo, people who say"im not a racist but..." and " i cant be a racist i have loads of black friends" are usually racist.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 28 Oct 2012 17:28

Royal Lady No surprise at all that some people totally misconstrue my points. How come the main person, to whom the John Terry ban affects the most, hasn't said a lot about this? He (and his brother) did not wear the KIO T-shirt - and felt they were making a stand, which they are perfectly entitled to do. I noticed this morning that their uncle, a retired footballer, was interviewed about it and said his piece today. I am merely querying why Jason Roberts felt he should be the one to get his face plastered all over the media, together with his thoughts on the subject - and I came to the conclusion that he wanted to be up the front because he wants to raise his, already pretty big, media profile. I have never said that what they are saying/doing is wrong - merely that I think there are ex players better placed to speak up for current players - like Clarke Carlisle for example.

All I am saying is, that I don't mind in the least if players want to protest in their own ways about the racism that still exists in football - that is their prerogative in a free country, and their voices should be heard,but I do mind if I think that all this appears to be the uppermost thing in Roberts' mind at the moment, rather than his football playing. Perhaps we'll see today that I am wrong, when Roberts scores the winning goal for us. And on that note, am I really the only person who gets annoyed that he NEVER jumps for a header?

I think Roberts is a very articulate, intelligent bloke - but his number one job at the moment is playing for RFC and I feel uneasy that his secondary jobs appear to be taking a more important role in his life. Nothing to do with being racist - but you all knew that really anyway. :roll:

youve come to a conclusion, based on nothing but your own poisonous brain think

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 28 Oct 2012 17:31

Royal Lady Except, and this is my other main point, no-one has been saying anything about KIO and what a terrible job they're doing, until AFTER the JT case. So it does seem to smack a little bit of having the arse he didn't get a longer ban - which is not in KIO's remit anyway - and how can KIO speak to the FL/FA or whatever until something is done that is perceived to be ill-judged or wrong? Are KIO meant to say "in case someone is accused of racism on the pitch, can we have a uniform 8 match ban please"? Maybe KIO were going to try and speak to the powers that be about JT's ban - but now Roberts has stuck the oar in, it's lessened their influence somewhat? I don't know. I just think if Roberts was unhappy with KIO as a whole, rather than because of one ban on a player, which KIO didn't have the power to give - then he'd have not worn the T-shirt for 6 years, like Lescott. Or something.

Why are they turning their ire to KIO and not towards the FA? They had the final say on what the ban was going to be.....

have you listened to or read any of his interviews?
all explained in them imo.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 28 Oct 2012 17:39

Keep up grandad. I've moved on from this and am now championing the case for Guthrie to be starting. :wink:

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 28 Oct 2012 17:41

hes oxf*rd awful
just gives the ball away and moans alot.
doesnt work hard enough, and hasnt created anything, despite him supposedly being a wonderful passer and creator

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 28 Oct 2012 17:42

melonhead hes oxf*rd awful
doesnt work hard enough, and hasnt created anything, despite him supposedly being a wonderful passer and creator

I'm not even going to get wound up by you today Bendy. BTW your double was playing keyboards for the David Essex gig last night - you get EVERYWHERE!

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 28 Oct 2012 17:46

Royal Lady

I'm not even going to get wound up by you today Bendy.

bums. :cry:

BTW your double was playing keyboards for the David Essex gig last night - you get EVERYWHERE!

everyone looks like me RL

SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you give us 90 minutes, we'll give you a lifetime

by SPARTA » 28 Oct 2012 17:47

You must be on the wind up? He works harder than most. He wins balls in the air, unlike Pogrebnyak, he looks to lay the ball off and keep us moving forward, another rarity from Pogrebnyak who being so big should do with ease. He moans a lot, yes he does. It worked well for us last season, and refs have already told us this season to do more of that! It might be a form of gamesmanship but it's needed at this level if you want to earn your fair share of the decisions. Hasn't created anything? You weren't watching that closely yesterday then. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you're just on the wind-up tho.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 28 Oct 2012 18:01

SPARTA

You must be on the wind up? He works harder than most. He wins balls in the air, unlike Pogrebnyak, he looks to lay the ball off and keep us moving forward, another rarity from Pogrebnyak who being so big should do with ease. He moans a lot, yes he does. It worked well for us last season, and refs have already told us this season to do more of that! It might be a form of gamesmanship but it's needed at this level if you want to earn your fair share of the decisions. Hasn't created anything? You weren't watching that closely yesterday then. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you're just on the wind-up tho.

i was replying to RLs comments about guthrie in the post above mine, to which i was clearly replying

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 29 Oct 2012 14:41

for those that dont believe there is a problem with bringing black and efnic minority coaches through to management jobs, and were questioning if there were any stats to back it up

- i read at the weekend that 20% of the coaches taking their coaching badges are black or efnic. to put it mildly, this is some way off the number that are actually given jobs at footbal clubs.
im not sure that you can say that the reason they do not is because those in charge of clubs are racists, but the disparity means it seriously needs looking into, and would perhaps justify looking at a rooney rule

Alexander Litvinenko
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Winner - HNA? Music Quiz 2013. The Great Sounds of Polonium 210.

by Alexander Litvinenko » 29 Oct 2012 14:43

melonhead for those that dont believe there is a problem with bringing black and efnic minority coaches through to management jobs, and were questioning if there were any stats to back it up

- i read at the weekend that 20% of the coaches taking their coaching badges are black or efnic. to put it mildly, this is some way off the number that are actually given jobs at footbal clubs.
im not sure that you can say that the reason they do not is because those in charge of clubs are racists, but the disparity means it seriously needs looking into, and would perhaps justify looking at a rooney rule

Again, it's institutional racism rather than individual racism.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 29 Oct 2012 14:52

in my opinion institutional racism can only persist if there are people in charge who, however subconciously or subtly, have a deep seated racism/bigotry/ignorance somewhere in their thinking

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 29 Oct 2012 14:57

melonhead for those that dont believe there is a problem with bringing black and efnic minority coaches through to management jobs, and were questioning if there were any stats to back it up

What level qualifications? How many get jobs full stop?

What I'm getting at is that the majority of those people doing their badges are involved in clubs already and are taking them to run kids teams or get jobs in local coaching organisations. I'd assume, from personal experience, that the majority at that level find exactly what they want afterwards.

I'm amazed the number is as high as 20% though (unless this is the figure for the top end badges where you might expect the ratio to be closer to that for BMEs playing in the professional game).

How do we ensure that middle England is better represented at these coaching courses?

More seriously, what is the percentage of BME coaches employed in the professional game? I've no doubt the percentage is low, I've just no idea how low and I've still not seen the figures that say there is this massive issue (I'm not denying that there is some institutional racism that exists, I just can't see evidence of it being the problem it's made out to be yet).

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 29 Oct 2012 15:03

you asked for the stat
i accidentally read one at the weekend and passed it on

imo it shows at least some hint that there is evidence of a problem

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 29 Oct 2012 15:13

It's a throw away stat that doesn't prove anything though. At best it tells a small part of the story, but without the rest of the story it means next to nothing.

Not shooting the messenger here, just trying to debate what the problem actually is!

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 29 Oct 2012 15:27

Like I said way, way back on this thread (or the other one): if 20% of people taking their coaching badges are black, you’d expect a higher number to be employed as coaches, unless:

a) They aren’t passing their coaching badges
b) They aren’t getting selected for interview
c) They aren’t getting the job

I think it’s perfectly reasonable to ask why to (a), (b) and (c) and to investigate. The answers might be more accurate than the ones given by a white armchair enthusiast who works for Tesco whose evidence for “there is no problem” seems to be based on “Paul Ince was shit”.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 29 Oct 2012 16:39

Indeed. To go on and ask/answer those questions you need to have some understanding of how many actually are/aren't employed. I've not seen any of those stats though (although I'm sure there is an under representation between pro-players/pro-coaches).

If the Tesco/Ince comment was directed at me, go back and see the posts I've made about black managers actually having a pretty decent record before spouting more ill-informed rubbish.

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 29 Oct 2012 16:55

It wasn't aimed at you.

It was aimed at the EDL guys who support the far-right belief that inequality is inevitable and that social heirarchy is acceptable.

Around about there I stopped bothering to communicate with them.

1019 posts