Racism in football (John Terry spin-off)

1181 posts
Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Racism in football (John Terry spin-off)

by Extended-Phenotype » 26 Oct 2012 16:21

TheMaraudingDog Racism will never ever die. The sooner people accept that the sooner we can all move on and stop making such a big fuss about nothing.

There are very few racist issues in football. Far too few to make it a subject worth talking about.

According to a. White. Spectator.

That's good enough for me, then. What ya wanna talk about now chaps?

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 26 Oct 2012 16:32

Instead of being quite so flippant EP, perhaps you could answer TMDs original question and highlight some of those issues that do exist?

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 28 Oct 2012 09:37

No use conversing with someone who says "96 wasn't enough". E-P is treating him with the contempt he deserves.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 29 Oct 2012 07:39

Chelsea have made a formal complaint against referee Mark Clattenburg after accusing him of using "inappropriate language" to two of their players in the defeat by Manchester United.

Part of the allegation is that Clattenburg used racial language, BBC Sport has learned.

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 29 Oct 2012 08:30

He called Mata a Spanish Twat

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 29 Oct 2012 08:54

ZacNaloen He called Mata a Spanish Twat

Says in paper that wasnt the "racist" one

soggy biscuit
Hob Nob Addict

by soggy biscuit » 29 Oct 2012 09:20

Mikel claims he called him a monkey

Alexander Litvinenko
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Winner - HNA? Music Quiz 2013. The Great Sounds of Polonium 210.

by Alexander Litvinenko » 29 Oct 2012 09:24

I simply don't believe it.

Referees are too professional, too mature and too switched on for something like this.

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 29 Oct 2012 09:32

This one genuinely does depend on context, if it's true.

"I've had enough of your monkeying around"

"you cheeky monkey"

"You oxf*rd Monkey."

yeh, you get the point.

Alexander Litvinenko
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Winner - HNA? Music Quiz 2013. The Great Sounds of Polonium 210.

by Alexander Litvinenko » 29 Oct 2012 10:28

Yes, agree completely with that.

But also in the context of Chelsea being livid about 2 sendings-off plus a wrongly-allowed winning goal, and still smarting about what they see as their Captain being overly-pursued by the FA to be convicted of racist abuse on the evidence of a couple of witness-statements (essentially their word against his), it doesn't take much of a leap of imagination to come up with the idea that "they did it to us - we'll do it to them."

On a related point, have you noticed just how many players and managers now cover their mouth with a hand when they're talking?.

soggy biscuit
Hob Nob Addict

by soggy biscuit » 29 Oct 2012 10:29

Clattenberg was simply repeating racist comments back to the players who had said it to him as he was questioning it

soggy biscuit
Hob Nob Addict

by soggy biscuit » 29 Oct 2012 10:33

No surprise that Chelsea have done this. After Anton-g8 they were always going to try and claim racism against someone else as early as possible to try and look like they are against it. Only surprise was that John Terry didn't come down from the stands with a black baby in his arms and Doreen Lawrence in tow

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 29 Oct 2012 16:36

TheMaraudingDog Racism will never ever die. The sooner people accept that the sooner we can all move on and stop making such a big fuss about nothing.

There are very few racist issues in football. Far too few to make it a subject worth talking about.

Yes, it's all getting rather tiresome.............

Still Hate Futcher!

by Still Hate Futcher! » 29 Oct 2012 20:10

TBM
Chelsea have made a formal complaint against referee Mark Clattenburg after accusing him of using "inappropriate language" to two of their players in the defeat by Manchester United.

Part of the allegation is that Clattenburg used racial language, BBC Sport has learned.

Apparently he didn't call anyone a f***ing black c***, contrary to Chelsea's policy on appropriate language to use during games.

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 29 Oct 2012 22:28

Extended-Phenotype
John Madejski's Wallet
Extended-Phenotype Of course there is a f/cking difference you drool of anus.

I agree.

I mean, kids get eating disorders/commit suicide/yaddayadda so often as a result of racist taunting don't they?

Ask a fat black person which they find more offensive?

You would probably discover that to them, insulting their race returns them to a time where they couldn’t vote, were treated like animals, were enslaved, were tracked down and murdered, were hounded out of societies, were refused jobs, were beaten, were chased, were spat at, were treated like second class citizens.

And that being called fat was just a sign that they needed to lose a bit of f/cking weight.

Still stand by the comment, though I guess the point is lost on some.

The skinny/fat/ginger/4-eyed kid in school generally doesnt have a large cultural support network. They are isolated and the abuse is personal, rather than an insult to a sterotype/culture.

I would genuinely be interested in the stats on which type of abuse/bullying has the most serious impact. I would lay f*cking good odds that its not the racial insults. As mentioned, the mental health issues/suicides etc.. seem to come from the other type of abuse. No matter whether you choose to belittle it or not

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 30 Oct 2012 10:10

Anyone know what was said?

Rev Algenon Stickleback H
Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 30 Oct 2012 10:33

Alexander Litvinenko I simply don't believe it.

Referees are too professional, too mature and too switched on for something like this.

In football, racist abuse tends to get shouted out in the heat of the moment, when people aren't quite being as guarded with what they say as they otherwise might be.

Unlike a player, a ref isn't likely to be wound up and angry, and as a result is far less likely to say something he'd later regret.

It just seems to me that this is a complete fabrication to try and muddy the waters after the Chelsea "delegation" stormed into the ref's dressing room threatening the break his legs, and dishing out other threats and abuse. Even they must know they are completely screwed after that, as it's so unacceptable.

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 30 Oct 2012 10:36

TBM Anyone know what was said?

The three other officials, apparently.

I posted this about the Suarez and Terry issues, and feel the same again - this is an emotive issue and one potentially very damaging to the careers of those accused. Really uncomfortable with a level of evidence that extends no further than 'one word against another'.

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 30 Oct 2012 10:37

Rev Algenon Stickleback H

It just seems to me that this is a complete fabrication to try and muddy the waters after the Chelsea "delegation" stormed into the ref's dressing room threatening the break his legs, and dishing out other threats and abuse. Even they must know they are completely screwed after that, as it's so unacceptable.

What? Did this happen?

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 30 Oct 2012 10:48

There are stories about it being a bit like a bar room brawl as Mikel and a few others from Chelsea tried to have it out with the ref.

These are in the red tops mind, and the 'delegation' included the likes of Ron Gourlay as well so I'm sure they're being heavily sensationalised, although it does sound like they were quite heated exchanges (for whatever reason).

1181 posts